Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Desktop Buddhism

I work a desk job, and I'm looking for something to put on my desk to keep me a little more "mindful" of the eightfold path. Something that I can glance at occasionally, when typing emails or answering phone calls, and remember to be a little more conscious of my speech, for example.

I'm not looking for anything to go on the computer (such as wallpaper), as I almost ALWAYS have a word document, excel spreadsheet, or internet browser open (sometimes more than one, or all of the above). I don't think I've seen my current wallpaper except for whenever the computer requires a restart.

I'm also not looking for something that necessarily screams Buddhism. While I'm not ashamed of my beliefs, I am a very reserved individual, and don't share them with many other people. Working in a predominantly christian work environment, I know it'll spark quite a few conversations, of which I would prefer to avoid.

I was thinking of getting a small desk stupa. But I don't really know if this accomplishes what I'm looking for.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Any object.
    Gui
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I made a small stupa out of flat, round smooth stones, which gradually decreased in size as they went up.
    It fits in the palm of my hand, and I used a glue gun to put the stones together.

as far as anyone might be concerned, it was just a small sculpture I made out of stones I found on the beach.... at about 3" high, it did the job.

For me.
    Kundo
  • cvaluecvalue Veteran
    edited November 2013
    A picture of a Japanese rock garden? or a picture of trees lined street?
    Kundo
  • I love smooth stones - there are a lot here in CO. I place them all around the house, on window sills, bathroom sinks, beside the coffee machine. Very soothing to me. --Of course people think it's odd when they come into the house, but maybe that's just the deer bones, elk antlers, bird eggs and such lying around :-)
    Ah come on, Nele...come clean...you just have a pet rock collection! :D

Colo Springs here. And you?
  • vinlyn said:

Any object.

Helpful.
  • I think I was looking for something a little more than a pile of rocks or a picture of a rock garden. Something a little more thought provoking, specifically to the eightfold path.

Obviously, I don't really know what I'm looking for. Just looking for input, so it's all appreciated.

vinlyn said:

Any object.

Helpful.
    When I said any object, I simply meant that any object that you "assign" an associated thought to...could be associated specifically to Buddhism. When I was working as a public school principal, I didn't feel as if it was appropriate to have an obviously religious object on my desk...like a Buddha statue. I did have, from Thailand, a Buddha amulet that was about the size of a 50 cent piece...I mounted it on cloth and put it in a very small frame. No one ever noticed it...except me...and it reminded me about the need to be mindful. But, someone mentioned rocks. I could imagine an oval stone tossed into the water and sending out small waves across a peaceful pond. I could associate that with Buddhist thoughts. I could find an attractive number "8" in some art store...or make my own art work with an "8" in it, and associate that with the eightfold path. Just some examples.
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited November 2013
    I might have the yin yang symbol to remind me of emptiness is form, form is emptiness or a dharma wheel or a mirror or a fish (symbol of awakening). Perhaps a Buddha in a bag or a closed mini Tantra shrine, or see if you can get a cross or hollow statue and fill with mantra rolls. Or an empty vase, or a Buddha foot, or an eye, or a shoe as a first step. A scarf from a lama. Prayer beads. Why not some plasticine and create a changing sculpture/symbol/reminder. :)
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited November 2013
    I had a picture of Thich Nhat Hanh and some quote of him saying "Are you sure?" - which on my workplace as researcher was certainly at its place. :D People knew about my Buddhism though, so I could have put a 3 foot high golden statue on there if I wanted...

So if you want something that doesn't really scream, perhaps consider something with the 8 spoke dhamma wheel (most people won't recognize it as a Buddhist symbol) or something with a lotus flower. I have a candle holder in the form of a lotus flower which I like.

For some reason I also connect a Bonsai tree with Buddhism. Must be the Eastern vibe.

• specialkaymespecialkayme Veteran
    edited November 2013
    vinlyn said:

When I said any object, I simply meant that any object that you "assign" an associated thought to...could be associated specifically to Buddhism.

I could assign a paperclip to be a representative of being mindful, and place it on my desk. If I could look at the paperclip every day and think of "mindfulness", then I wouldn't really need anything to "remind me." I could assign everything to remind myself of being mindful, negating the need to remind myself at all.

I understand your point. But I am having a difficult time "reminding" myself to follow each precept of the eightfold path in my every day life. I'm full of objects every day, and none of them remind me to remember the eightfold path in my every day encounters. So I don't see how assigning any object around me accomplishes that task.
  • specialkaymespecialkayme Veteran
    edited November 2013
    lobster said:

yin yang symbol to remind me of emptiness . . . or a dharma wheel or a mirror or a fish . . . a Buddha in a bag or a closed mini Tantra shrine . . . or a cross or hollow statue and fill with mantra rolls . . . Or an empty vase, or a Buddha foot, or an eye, or a shoe as a first step. A scarf from a lama. Prayer beads. Why not some plasticine and create a changing sculpture/symbol/reminder. :)

I appreciate the thoughts and help.

I'm not really trying to jog my memory of "buddhism." Or of being empty, or being mindful. I'm trying to jog myself into remembering the eightfold path in everyday life. So while most of them would remind me of "buddhism," that's not really what I'm trying to accomplish.

I guess the dharma wheel is the closest. But even then when I look at it I think of, well, dharma, teachings, the turning of the wheel. Not necessarily "right speech" or "right actions." Maybe that's the closest I can get.
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    It's not a desk object, but I have an OM pendent around my neck. When I see my reflection, I see it around my neck; and it reminds me of my practice and to try to be mindful in every way.
  • I am in the same boat as you are. I pick calendars that remind me of the Eternal. Usually nature-themed, such as of glaciers, sky or oceans. The trick is to not forget to look at whatever your visual reminder is :)
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    What about a small mirror?
  • bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran
    How about the dharma wheel? A miniature wooden desktop sailing wheel will do perfectly, you got your 8 fold path all in one wheel.
    Princelycvalue
  • Click on any one of these pictures https://www.google.com/search?q=Buddha+images&rlz=1C1EODB_enUS532US532&espv=210&es_sm=122&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=2zeEUrLdDq-l4APw7oH4BQ&ved=0CC4QsAQ&biw=1152&bih=751 right click, save as, then print in Windows print function on decent quality paper, whatever size you like, put in a frame. I have several wallet size in small frames on my desk at work.
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited November 2013
    I can't think of any object that would really suffice for your purposes that wouldn't attract inquisitive stares or questions from non-Buddhists (although I do like lobster's "Hear no evil, speak no evil, see no evil" monkeys). Perhaps, instead of assigning the role to some external object, you could reflect on the following teaching from Ajahn Chah and see if you can use your own body as a reminder of your practice:
    Traditionally the Eightfold Path is taught with eight steps such as Right Understanding, Right Speech, Right Concentration, and so forth. But the true Eightfold Path is within us – two eyes, two ears, two nostrils, a tongue, and a body. These eight doors are our entire Path and the mind is the one that walks on the Path. Know these doors, examine them, and all the dharmas will be revealed.
    One thing I did in the past was to have a picture of someone who is suffering, such as the devastating image of the grieving mother in this article. This, too, may attract some stares, of course, but it is a very effective means of cutting through the daily contrivances we get caught up in. The entirety of the Buddha's teaching comes back to this truth of suffering. The entire eightfold path is predicated on meeting suffering and becoming a force for the end of suffering here and now.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited November 2013

vinlyn said:

When I said any object, I simply meant that any object that you "assign" an associated thought to...could be associated specifically to Buddhism.

I could assign a paperclip to be a representative of being mindful, and place it on my desk. If I could look at the paperclip every day and think of "mindfulness", then I wouldn't really need anything to "remind me." I could assign everything to remind myself of being mindful, negating the need to remind myself at all.

I understand your point. But I am having a difficult time "reminding" myself to follow each precept of the eightfold path in my every day life. I'm full of objects every day, and none of them remind me to remember the eightfold path in my every day encounters. So I don't see how assigning any object around me accomplishes that task.
    Maybe instead of trying to remind yourself to follow the precepts it would be more helpful to try and recognize when you're going against them. Have fun with it. The intent is obviously there.

It really is a personal thing and we can assign meaning to a big elaborate sketch of Buddha bowing to nature with all the fixin's or it could very well be a paperclip. It could even be a big, elaborate sketch of Buddha bowing to a paperclip...

It could be a picture of somebody less fortunate than yourself giving to someone else.

It could be a picture of a child you send money to each month in a third world country.

What comes to your head when you think about the eightfold path?

Right view, intention, speech, action, livelihood, effort, mindfulness and concentration... Is there something that embodies all of these qualities in your opinion?

• SabreSabre Veteran
    edited November 2013
    Symbolizing 'right' in the 8 right 'thingie-ma-jizzles':

lobster
  • Don't know whether or not it would be practical in your office environment but I have a singing bowl next to my computer. I love the look and feel of it, and the sound is something else.

In Tibet, when strangers ask what the bowl is for the Tibetans say it is just a food bowl. So you could tell nosey parkers it's just an ornament.
  • There's a program you can install on your computer which goes 'booooooonnnnngggg' every fifteen minutes; a bell of mindfulness - it sounds like one of those Tibetan singing bowl things.

It might annoy your co-workers though.
  • Tosh said:

It might annoy your co-workers though.

Maybe no more annoying than everyone's cell phone ringtones though. :lol:
    MaryAnne
  • Frame a piece of white blank paper and put it on your desk. I copy this idea from the origin of a Mahayana Sutra (maybe Lotus Sutra). It means something like unless you are intellectual enough, you wouldn't be able to read what's on the sutra. Only a few can understand what's inside, the rest can only see a piece of white paper. I am not good at explaining things, you can do the research yourself about this subject if you are interested in it.
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    I should re-do this flow chart for the non-classroom experience of Buddhism. Except in the end, instead of a final exam, you die.
    http://www.opensourcebuddhism.org/bubblus_intro-buddhism.JPG

The Mandala of the Two Realms is considered to be a summary of the Dharma in two pictures in the Shingon tradition. (The Japanese version of Vajrajana/esoteric/Tantric Buddhism)-- However, the summary is, not surprisingly, very Vajrajana-- lots and lots of Boddhisatvas representing things.

A Nichiren style gohonzon is also a sort of summary and like the Shingon summary, entails a lot of names, with the Lotus Sutra uppermost of course.

At home I have a bunch of netsuke buddhas on my bookshelf. They don't summarize anything, they mostly just stare at me.

A modern "flow chart" mandala
    http://wisdomthroughmindfulness.blogspot.com/2010_11_01_archive.html

• bookworm said:

How about the dharma wheel?

That's what I'm leaning toward at the moment.
    ourself said:

What comes to your head when you think about the eightfold path?

Right view, intention, speech, action, livelihood, effort, mindfulness and concentration... Is there something that embodies all of these qualities in your opinion?

I think that's what I'm struggling with. To me, the words of the eightfold path remind me of it (obviously), and I could understand a wheel with eight spokes symbolizing the eightfold path (although I'm not sure I would automatically think if it if I saw ANY eight spoke wheel). But even then, I think it would jog my memory to the eightfold path itself, not necessarily to any one part of it. Meaning, if I was on a phone call with a client and I looked at the wheel, I don't think I'd necessarily say to myself "right speech" or "right effort."

I guess that's why I don't think the use of 'any object' would help me, the same as a mirror or an om symbol or a buddha wouldn't either. All would remind me of "practice" or "buddhism", but not necessarily the eightfold path and what it stands for.

I think that's why I was looking for a little bit of help. Maybe something that has helped others in the past.

Or maybe the best thing to do is just jog my mind into the "practice" portion, and leave it up to me to actively engage that into each part of the eightfold path. I don't know.
    cvalue said:

Frame a piece of white blank paper and put it on your desk.

Neat, but perhaps a little too "Art Nouveau" for me. :) I like where your head was going with it though.
    Okay, there is one other thing I did for a while, which helped me.

Each day on 3M sticky I wrote one of the eightfold path (or, one of the 4 Noble Truths). That sticky was right next to my phone all day, so I saw it at least a couple of dozen times.

I know. You don't like that either.
  • write down the 4 noble truths and the 8 fold path. (usuing vegetable ink of course!) maybe have something that reminds you of what first brought you to buddhism.
  • vinlyn said:

I know. You don't like that either.

Actually I do like the idea.

Have I become the "shooter down of ideas"? That's not good.
    LOL...maybe just me being overly sensitive. :hair:
  • or:

Let me help you:

No - What about this one then:
    edited November 2013
    Sorry just re-read the OP - Nothing for the computer desktop MMMmmmmm...

What about a coffin-shaped pencil sharpener? Can't find one on the web btw - free idea for some entrepreneur there.

No I see you are reserved and don't want to spark a conversation with your christian buddies.

Tricky one!….

mmmm….

Hey, I've got it, just get a Newtons Cradle when you are agitated let it swing and come to rest naturally like your mind should do when you practice mindfulness - nobody will get it's a buddhist teaching in action! Also: Action - reaction. 2 great teachings for the price of one! And you can still look reserved and if anyone asks just say it has sentimental value - someone thought it would help you relax!

There your problem is sorted!

• What about a holy text? If someone asks just say it's a book you are reading.
  • How about a beautiful, high resolution photograph of a lovely lotus flower, floating serenely in a pool of dark water? The lotus has a few different meanings related to Buddhism and Dharma. But to those "not in the know" - it's just a beautiful (and in most areas- uncommon) flower. :D
    anatamanVastmind
    I have a lotus flower on the home screen of my phone to remind me - nice one!
  • What about a digital picture frame?
    . . . change your image
    http://digital-photo-frame-review.toptenreviews.com/