Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Al Gore Goes Vegan

Al Gore, former Vice President of the United States and world-renowned environmentalist, has gone vegan. The subdued announcement appeared in a "Forbes Magazine" article in which Mr. Gore discussed the northern California startup, Hampton Creek, the vegan company behind Beyond Eggs.

Known across the globe for his political career, Mr. Gore rose to even bigger fame with the release of his 2006 Oscar-winning documentary "An Inconvenient Truth"--which raised awareness about climate change.

That very same year, the United Nations released their report Livestock's Long Shadow, a groundbreaking study that shows animal agriculture creates more greenhouse gases than all the transportation in the world combined.

While the reasons for Mr. Gore's transition to veganism have yet to be discussed, one can only assume that the environmental impact of meat, dairy and eggs has something to do with it.

Regardless, Al Gore's decision to adopt a healthy and humane plant-based diet will certainly inspire others.

Whether you're looking to improve your heath, safeguard the environment, or protect animals from needless cruelty, switching to a delicious vegan diet is simple and easy. Visit http://www.chooseveg.ca/ to get started today.

Written by: Ari Solomon, Mercy For Animals
Davidriverflow

Comments

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Good stuff.
    cvalueriverflow
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited November 2013
    would be better if he just went away actually..

yes I am human and yes I have negativity towards the poor fellow, who seems to desperately need attention. I need to work on that :)

The concept behind stars announcing " oh i'm doing this" is to somehow garner more people to do the same. It is a private lifestyle decision and should remain as such. Let his good deeds speak for his cause, not the media.
  • Why not? if he can use his high profile to inspire others to good cause.
    DavidriverflowMaryAnne
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    I don't care if Snuggy the Bear gets the message across to the masses as long as the message is received.

People in the public eye promoting awareness is a good thing.
    riverflowcvalueMaryAnne
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Jayantha said:

It is a private lifestyle decision and should remain as such. Let his good deeds speak for his cause, not the media.

For some people it is a private lifestyle choice, which is fine. But for other people, it's not. Especially so for activists as media attention is an integral part of any successful activist movement. Al Gore is definitely an activist so he will go after any and all media attention he can get, which is really just a standard practice in activist work.

:om:
    riverflowcvalueMaryAnne

• :coffee:
    BhikkhuJayasaraJainarayan
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Or maybe Al is just getting too fat.
    BhikkhuJayasaracvalue
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    I can understand why people are vegetarians but not vegans. I don't understand what is immoral about eating eggs or dairy products as long as the animals were treated well.
    vinlyn said:

Or maybe Al is just getting too fat.

Actually, I'm not joking. I've seen recent pictures of him where his face is so fat I almost didn't recognize him.

• blu3reeblu3ree Veteran
    edited November 2013
    cool!
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I don't understand what is immoral about eating eggs or dairy products as long as the animals were treated well.

So do you buy free-range eggs?
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

I can understand why people are vegetarians but not vegans. I don't understand what is immoral about eating eggs or dairy products as long as the animals were treated well.

There are lots of reasons. Mostly it's not about just treating the animals well, it's about not exploiting them and not killing them. Even when the animals are treated well, it's standard practice to send them to the slaughterhouse when they stop producing in an economically viable manner, even for the small family farmer. Domestic cows can live to 20 years, however those raised for dairy rarely live that long, as the average cow is removed from the dairy herd around age four and sent to be killed. Same goes for chickens although just with different lifespans. There are many other reasons but that is really the main one. What do they do with the animals after they are done using them? They kill them.

riverflowpyramidsong
    :coffee:
    BhikkhuJayasaraMaryAnne
  • As Jayantha has pointed out, Al Gore has some detractors, who seem to respond emotionally to his personality, and the concomitant emotion can dilute the message. Nevertheless, he is certainly an exceptionally intelligent human, and one more voice in the cause.
    riverflowMaryAnne
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran

I don't understand what is immoral about eating eggs or dairy products as long as the animals were treated well.

I do eat only free range but I do not buy them as I keep my own hens (one of them is is my profile picture) and get my eggs from them so I know they have been well treated.
    MaryAnneriverflow
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I do eat only free range but I do not buy them as I keep my own hens (one of them is is my profile picture) and get my eggs from them so I know they have been well treated.
    Cool! I have a friend who keeps chickens, they are great characters ( the chickens, I mean ;) )
  • I can understand why people are vegetarians but not vegans. I don't understand what is immoral about eating eggs or dairy products as long as the animals were treated well.

Trouble is, they're usually not. The egg and dairy industries involve just as much cruelty and death as the meat industries.

I've been vegan for nearly two years (was vegetarian for three years before that). Honestly, the food component is not that hard (and last doctor visit all my nutrient levels were fine, including iron). The hardest part is people's attitude towards it.

riverflowhowcvalue
  • jaynejayne Explorer

I went vegan last year for health reasons, I have a few medical issues that mean I can't tolerate dairy products and I gave up eggs as I need a low protein diet, I don't have a problem with using milk or eggs, only ever bought free range ones, still buy them for the family, so health can be one reason people go vegan.
    cvalue
  • I think that was Bill Clinton's reason.
  • Surely he needs to change his name . I suggest Al Sap.
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Awesome!! I had just decided literally last night to have that be my New Year's resolution (going vegan--not watching Al Gore go vegan :) ) Good for him. That's really cool.

I will have to include a twice/thrice-per-year exception when my father-in-law boils me up a dozen hardboiled eggs, which he does every time I visit now after I raved about his hardboiled eggs. They're from a family member, though, who has a beautiful, gigantic coop of the most pampered chickens ever. Seriously, I've never seen such happy chickens. They are completely glossy, and roam freely indoors or out. The thing I notice most is that they don't have that perpetual air of jittery unsettledness that I always thought was just part of "chicken personality." They are totally zen. Maybe it's just having enough room?

That said--no other exceptions if I can possibly help it. And yes--I will miss cheese ;)
    cvalue
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    @ Sile
    If you can find some cow juice substitute that can allow black tea to remain tasting like black tea with milk...I'll join u.

& ask your family member what happens to those chickens beyond their short laying shelf life.
    The movie "Soylant Green" would be the answer, I'd guess.
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    how said:

If you can find some cow juice substitute that can allow black tea to remain tasting like black tea with milk...I'll join u.

Fake milks with coffee ranked, I'm guessing results would be similar for black tea.

Better
    * Coconut milk- the sort sold as a milk alternative in cartons. I haven't tried from the can yet.
    * Cashew cream (generally have to make it at home, this nut has the least non soluble fiber--i.e. about none--and has the most neutral flavor)
    * Walnut milk- Home made, annoyingly divides into insoluble fibers, milk and cream. but the milk & cream part go very well in coffee.

Meh to not so good
    Soy milk-- you can get used to it, but it is a shocking difference & will curdle if the coffee is acidic.
    Almond milk-- more neutral than soy, but takes getting used to.
    Rice milk -- :-( too sweet, unless you like sugary coffee anyhow.
    Oat milk -- not so great in coffee, can't remember why.
    Sunflowerseed milk -- pretty strong sunflower flavor. The only advantage is that it is the cheapest homemade vegan milk.

Since a nut milk is just a nut butter diluted, something I want to try is mixing a spoonful of nut butter into coffee, sort of like how the Tibetans mix butter and tea.
    howcvalue