Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• Seriously... I just re-read my post above.
    I really really have no $$ invested, nor am I paid or employed in any way to promote or advertise Duolingo to anyone, anywhere, at any time!

I sound like an infomercial up there! LOL
    EvenThirdjaecvalueDharmaMcBum
  • EvenThirdEvenThird NYC Veteran
    I bought a little Buddha on sale in HK!
    MaryAnnelobstercvalue
    Out hotel room got upgraded to the executive suite! :D Heated toilet seats are nice and all, but the view is killer.
    MaryAnnecvalue
  • We had our first snow flurries this morning! It was so pretty.... didn't stick, or anything, but it was coming down pretty good. :)
    EvenThirdjaecvalue
  • Random, but certainly not useless: :)

DaftChrisJeffreyEvenThird

• Woooohooo!!!
    Not one, but TWO "junk drawers" cleaned out and reorganized today!!

PS;
    Does anyone know how to upload a gif??
    My laptop stopped shocking me! (electricity-style) :sawed:

I'm not sure why it did in the first place. I hope I don't jinx it. :bowdown:
    MaryAnne
    Update: aaand we are back to my wrists being shocked if I dare lean them on my laptop

Also just went down the street and got a bag of persimmons(my favorite fruit) for the equivalent of $0.60. I gotta love china prices.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    I haven't seen a porpoise for over a year. Are they avoiding me? :D
  • Cake... Check! Now lunch, laundry and take some cake over to Mom and Pop.....
    EvenThird
  • I haven't seen a porpoise for over a year. Are they avoiding me? :D

Are you a porpoise? (I can't quite tell from your picture)
    I doubt they are avoiding you.... are you sure your doorbell is working? ;)

• MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited November 2013
    Today- All day and All night- GONE WITH THE WIND on AMC
    (American Movie Classics). A true classic, never tire of it.

Tomorrow- Thanksgiving Day - All day and All night - The Godfather & The Godfather II on AMC. One of the best movies ever made and stories ever told- ever!

Friday- All day and All night- Hitchcock Classics: The Birds, Vertigo, Rear Window, Psycho, etc. on AMC. All good, all classics.

Saturday- All day and All night - Steven Segal movies, on AMC.
    (Now this ^ is where American Movie "Classics" loses me!) :eek2:

• I skipped most of this.
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    Last night, I'd just fallen asleep when agonized squeaking and chittering woke me; the cats had caught a little mouse maybe five feet away from my bed (I live on a farm). It took a long time to get back to sleep especially because I had to keep my fingers in my ears just in case.

In the morning, I sat up, and slid my feet into my slippers. There was a cold squishy thing in the toe of my right slipper. Instead of eating the mouse and leaving its intestines in the kitchen, the whole morsel was gifted to me. I have four cats, it must have been Kaspar, who sleeps with his face deep in my shoe.
    MaryAnnejae
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    My classmate told me that our instructor told her - "Don't worry about your nerves. Not all of us can come to class in the morning of a practical exam and be as serene as [Invincible_Summer]!" :lol:
    MaryAnneVastmindBeej
    MaryAnne said:

I haven't seen a porpoise for over a year. Are they avoiding me? :D

Are you a porpoise? (I can't quite tell from your picture)
    I doubt they are avoiding you.... are you sure your doorbell is working? ;)
    Lo and behold I saw a porpoise a couple of days ago...evidence of magical thinking?
    :p
    MaryAnne
  • Saw this small egret for only the second time this morning, on the River Wandle. Lovely little bird. :clap:
    VastmindjaeMaryAnne
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    I just found my dog chewing up my wife's best friends christmas present. It was the most expensive hand wash she has ever bought - what the F am I going to tell her in the morning!
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    I burnt my pizza.... I was over at the dining room table typing
    on NB and not paying attention to dinner lolololol
    Beej
  • Oh shoot ^^^
    lobster
  • Oh No!! Burnt Pizza! :(
  • As God IS MY WITNESS .... I SHALL BE HUNGRY NO MORE for TURKEY soup, sandwiches or salad -- No More... !!

DaftChrisDairyLamaJeffreycvalue
  • I made 'cut-out' cookies tonight. My new friend is coming over tomorrow and she will meet my mom while decorating cookies. Then we are watching the new TV version of the Sound of Music.

So I was making the dough and it didn't come out right. Mom to the rescue! tadah!

:clap:

It turns out the cut-out cookie recipe called for one pound and I only added 1 stick. :o Scary how much butter this recipe has :eek2:
    lobsterriverflowjaecvalue
  • jaejae Veteran
    Angry passengers... what fun!!
    anataman said:

Damn it - I just sat down on the toilet and realised 'someone has used the last of the toilet roll'

Toilet? We never had toilets. You were lucky!
    riverflowcvaluelobsterHamsaka
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I'm off work with a serious hand injury. I was holding a bunch of keys, and I slipped on a slimy wooden bridge. One of the keys went straight through my hand. I am extremely lucky. it took just about the only route possible to avoid a tendon, ligament or nerve. Everything is intact and functioning normally. Except for the hole straight through my hand, that is. Note to self: Do not repeat this exercise or try this at home, viewers....
    jae
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    ^^^ Awww... We don't realize how crucial our hands/tools are until
    their limited.....Be patient...and keep the moments of suffering to a
    minimal.... :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2013
    You know what amazed me? The moment I landed on my hand, I immediately thought "Don't go down the 'twin arrows' route. It's happened. Deal with the practicality of staunching the blood and getting it seen to, right now. Worry about what it will mean practically, later. "

I amazed myself, because obviously something has sunk in!!

:D
    VastmindcvalueMaryAnnelobster
  • @federica OW!! Here's hoping you heal fast and as pain free as possible!
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    Hey -a piercing opportunity :image
  • Well for some that would be a decoration. For me it would be an injury. Yuck.
  • federica said:

I amazed myself, because obviously something has sunk in!!
    :D

Not just the keys but a key
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parable_of_the_arrow

Ouch :-/

Be kind and loving to your hand, which will help it heal. Injury, difficulties, illness, death, we all come across. Some twist, tease, and even decorate the arrow as an emblem of war with Dukkha. A situation is made the best of, not a rallying point of misery . . .

. . . well you know all that too . . .
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Sorry to hear that Federica. Here is some first aid I learned cutting my foot this summer :)

You might want to clean it out and bandage it with non-stick pads and wrapping up tape. I cut my foot pretty badly and had to do that. I also got a tetanus shot. The wound has to be able to seep unless there are stitches and if you don't get stitches in the first date it is too late because then the tissue around the cut has infection. So antibiotic is also good.

Cleaning it out was one of the worst pains I experienced ever.
  • ^^ Poor Pirate Kitty....
    My hand has healed quite well. There is still some subcutaneous pain when I make certain moves, but all in all, the process has taken much less time than I expected.... Nice little scar though..... Lavender essential oil has been an absolutely invaluable healing aid, I might add.....
    lobsterVastmindcvalue
  • DandelionDandelion London Veteran
    I am waiting a long time for the kettle to boil... because I forgot to turn it on. HAHA. There is a metaphor in there, somewhere....
    MaryAnneDaftChriscvalue
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    I became a shadow! Then i got mugged by two other shadows. Damn you, December! :lol:
    MaryAnne
  • Thought today was New Year's Day. Need to reschedule. People were planning on today. Should be OK. :o
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited December 2013
    We just had a couple of Dutchies or Oliebollen http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliebol with powdered sugar and coffee. Delicious!
    Happy New Year’s Eve!
  • Happy and Healthy New Year to all on NewBuddhist!! Peace! Love! Good Karma!

Today I bought some No. 10 x 3" screws, which weren't as expensive as I'd feared... :D
    MaryAnne
    Now, all you need is some 12 x 4" wood.
    federica said:

Now, all you need is some 12 x 4" wood.

Actually the wood was as expensive as I'd feared. When I complained the guy said "It doesn't grow on trees, you know."

:p
    DharmaMcBum