Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Losing weight and sugar

2»

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    But Tom, soy sauce and oyster sauce and maggi sauce and fish sauce are already in many -- if not most -- Thai foods.
  • I do not eat much Thai food anymore, I know soy sauce is in a lot of them. these days I buy vegetables and fruit from the market, a mix of brown and white rice, chicken and pork and makes salads and stuff like that. I do not eat from vendors much anymore, only if it is convenient, and I don;t eat out much either. I have seen the sauce and stuff that goes into those woks though lol
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    betaboy said:

How much sugar is too much?

I drink many cups of tea, so all in all I could be consuming at least 5 spoons of sugar each day. Is this too much, if one wants to lose weight?

I can't say if it's a lot or not. This depends on many factors like age, gender, metabolism, daily effort, the composition of your meal and your lifestyle and eating habits.

Let's say that ( don't take it personally) you have a slow metabolism, you are a female, 35 y.o. , your daily effort (type of work : physical/intellectual ) is moderate, your meals will always include bread, pasta , and things like this ( carbohydrates ), and you tend to eat not so much food, frequently, without a fixed hour. Adding the tea with the 5 spoons of sugar ( now you can take it personally), you'll gain weight in no time, rather that staying fit.
    Now, if you give it a try, analyze those things, on your own type of body and habits...maybe you'll get your own right answer.
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    A common boundary number is about 30-40 grams a day-- which comes from the pre-diabetes literature. That said, some websites emphasize that if one hypothetically ate enough non-sugar calories, you could still overload your pancreas and make it stop working and imply that your simple sugar load isn't as important as total calories. Still, when you eat simple sugars, they all hit your bloodstream in about 10 minutes, as compared with everything else that takes longer. This spike in blood sugar is dangerous (if you didn't have a working pancreas) so the pancreas sends a signal to all the cells to take in the sugar and do something with it, use it or turn it into fat. So the cells do. Until the cells stop listening to the signal because they hear it *all the time*. And then the pancreas stops being effective. And then you have diabetes 2 and you die young from a long list of problems.

5 spoonfuls of sugar is about 20 grams of sugar, or half as much as in a can of Coke.

Personally I've tried to follow the rule about keeping to 30-40 grams per day, essentially it means you can't eat anything... well more accurate to say, not more than one a day... that is intensely sweet (like pie, soda, frosting on cake) because the incidental sources of sugar will use up the daily budget of 30-40 grams. (e.g. sugar in a Pad Thai, sugar in yogurt, sugar everywhere!)

ref:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/445715-if-you-are-borderline-diabetic-how-much-sugar-can-you-have-per-day/

• Another question. Is it good to eat chocolates daily in order to lose weight? Some people say it is only a myth that chocolates make you gain weight.
    http://www.fitsugar.com/Chocolate-Connected-Weight-Loss-22399796
  • I'm not so sure about sugar's role is in losing weight, but my fasting diet is going really well. I eat over a period of 6 hours and then eat nothing for the following 18 (only drinking water -- well ok, I have a cup of nettle tea at some point too).
    I don't really watch what I eat over the eating period which makes it pretty cool that I can do that and lose weight as well. The not eating part isn't actually that bad. Just keep hydrated and the snack desire is soon forgotten.
  • betaboy said:

Another question. Is it good to eat chocolates daily in order to lose weight? Some people say it is only a myth that chocolates make you gain weight.
    http://www.fitsugar.com/Chocolate-Connected-Weight-Loss-22399796

Same problem as with sugar (chocolates have sugar in them): they cause an insulin reaction which in turn causes your body to hoard fat. You'll gain weight.

Jeffrey
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    And makes you crave more of the same.
  • I'm not so sure about sugar's role is in losing weight, but my fasting diet is going really well. I eat over a period of 6 hours and then eat nothing for the following 18 (only drinking water -- well ok, I have a cup of nettle tea at some point too).
    I don't really watch what I eat over the eating period which makes it pretty cool that I can do that and lose weight as well. The not eating part isn't actually that bad. Just keep hydrated and the snack desire is soon forgotten.

You may be losing weight, but that does mean to say that you are leading a healthy life via diet. We all need nutrition for a whole host of things, so it is essential to have a balanced diet IMO. Also if you do not do much exercise or none for that matter, your cardiovascular system will not be up top par, cholesterol high, blood pressure high etc etc etc.
  • Nevermind said:

And makes you crave more of the same.

Excellent point! Sugar is a drug. It takes a couple of weeks of being off it before the cravings subside.