Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just Changing the World

I'm starting a blog called Just Changing the World which is going to chart my exploits as I attempt to (just) change the world.

http://justchanging-theworld.blogspot.co.uk

riverflow

Comments

• Everyone wants to change the world in a small way or big way
    Invincible_summer
  • Everyone wants to change the world in a small way or big way

And so they should. It starts with ourselves. We must change. But who we are is demonstrated through our actions - that is how people know us, that is how the change manifests, and so being of the highest service possible to help to change the world and create a better one is natural and beautiful.

Dennis1anatamanThailandTomriverflow
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran

Everyone wants to change the world in a small way or big way

Speak for yourself :-P

lobsterInvincible_summer
  • I think I can get on board with this idea.
  • It starts with ourselves.
    It does?
    Does it? Meanwhile change everyone else, 'coz we know what they need? You seem to have changed very little, what has changed in you since the last 'start with ourselves'? What have we missed? :wave:
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    @mindatrisk - I must raise my hand and state that I am a conscientious objector to this aggressive 'change the world' attitude. There is a middle way forward..

Let me restate your post as a buddhist advertising agency might put it:

'I find what is happening in the world to be unsatisfactory and difficult to accept at this present time, I wish to make a positive contribution to the world, such that anything I may do lessens the negative effects that I perceive and are affected by it.

I would therefore like to engage with you all in this loving community to effect a small positive change in the world; to make the world better for both my and your children. I am not sure how this will occur, but I have written something elsewhere that is probably for a less significant audience, but hope you will read it with that in mind and understand and engage others in my (our) personal struggle for freedom'.
  • vinlyn said:

Here we go again.

And yet I keep coming back!
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    It is the nature of reality that the whole world changes when you change yourself.

Aggressive world changing is not what I 'heard' the OP saying, but I do tend to hear what I expect to hear.

If I change what I expect to hear, or one better, surrender the need to hear anything in particular, I'm gonna hear a lot more and the world is definitely going to be a different place.

We could get into "subjective versus objective" realities, but please, this is a Buddhist forum and we all know better, or at least intellectually know better than to believe the world experience is split into two.

My intense paradigm shift (occurring now, and for some months now) is experienced by me as a different world than I experienced prior. Even better, next week I'll be even more awake than right now, and the world will seem to my petty little human mind to be "different". Actually, I am only more awake, the laws of thermodynamics and gravity just more available to my awareness.

"Be the change you want to see." said Gandhi, and he was quite the example of inspiring others to likewise be the change.

One person at a time. You never know how another person will take in your gesture of love or compassion, what that seed will grow into. You could turn find out once you're dead that the time you listened to and hugged a fellow sufferer was the moment he turned it all around, raised his kids with a beautiful wife and kids went off to run for government office and defeated Haliburton and the back of the oil barons so that energy is free, abundant, always replenishing (thus perhaps ending about a million other sufferings our current system perpetuates).

Each person you reach out to may have that seed, aren't we all one in Buddha nature?

Gassho :)
  • ThePensum said:

vinlyn said:

Here we go again.

And yet I keep coming back!
    You sir have an addiction
    ThePensum
  • Any thoughts on the blog content?

• Any thoughts on the blog content?

No thought.

:p (bad cructacean)
  • Nice blog, Richard. I'm glad you've created an outlet for your ideas.

But I'm curious about this passage:
    For most people to get around to sincere, dedicated spiritual practice requires a certain degree of material security. Most of the impoverished tend to be a bit busy trying to feed themselves and their children and keep a roof over their heads (and bodies).
    I'm not sure I agree that anyone needs material security in order to practise. In some ways material wealth hinders spiritual growth, and some countries, like India, have a relatively high level of spiritual practice despite the apparent poverty. Perhaps you could clarify what you mean by "practice"?
    riverflow
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited December 2013
    poptart said:

Nice blog, Richard. I'm glad you've created an outlet for your ideas.

For most people to get around to sincere, dedicated spiritual practice requires a certain degree of material security. Most of the impoverished tend to be a bit busy trying to feed themselves and their children and keep a roof over their heads (and bodies).
    I'm not sure I agree that anyone needs material security in order to practise. In some ways material wealth hinders spiritual growth, and some countries, like India, have a relatively high level of spiritual practice despite the apparent poverty. Perhaps you could clarify what you mean by "practice"?

I am sure it has the ability to hinder bit it also has the ability to show suffering for what it truly is, which is the start of the path. Some of us need to have suffering shoved in our faces to realize we are suffering and some of us don't. Implying all of us need one or the other option is wrong to me, it depends on the individual
    riverflow

Any thoughts on the blog content?

Yes - have you read the 'communist manifesto', by Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels?
    http://manybooks.net/titles/marxengelsetext93manif12.html
    It's been done before. Thats why its called revolution, and such revolutions are generally bloody and violent. Look at Syria and Egypt etc. They actually decrease the general populations health, wealth, happiness and freedom, which they always try to rebuild in the aftermath. Only they carry physical and mental scars and fear with them afterwards.

Lets work with what we've got without motivation and incitement to forced change. Change is going to happen - just think of all those boddhisattvas ceaselessly and tirelessly out their doing their tiny little bit for everyones liberation. Go join them in silent and compassionate generosity, it might achieve the goal sooner.

Throw a brick through a window - someone will have to pick up the pieces. Give it a good rub with a clean cloth, and someone might see through it, to a better world outside.
  • misterCopemisterCope PA, USA Veteran
    poptart said:

Nice blog, Richard. I'm glad you've created an outlet for your ideas.

I think he means basic material security, like food and a safe place to sleep. In the education system, there is something called "Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs." The most basic needs, i.e. food and sleep, must be met before more abstract needs, i.e. social belonging, can be addressed.

However, this hierarchy is by no means an absolute truth. As most people here are aware (and you have already addressed), some meditate without sleep or food in order to reach spiritual goals (much higher up on Maslow's scale) and examples exist all over of children that are homeless applying themselves more diligently in the school system than the "warm, full, and happy" children.

• anataman said:

Any thoughts on the blog content?

Yes - have you read the 'communist manifesto', by Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels?
    http://manybooks.net/titles/marxengelsetext93manif12.html
    I think this is quite an exaggeration to what @mindatrisk is suggesting. For example volunteering at a drug rehab center is hardly a violent revolution involving any "incitement." I'm not saying I necessarily agree with all of his methods, but comparing his aspirations to Marx and Engels is a bit over the top.
  • Thank you for the replies. I tend to feel quite insecure when I start a new project and like to reach out for some reassurance. It's only early days for the blog, and it will improve a lot as I feel more comfortable and more inspired, but i'm glad it's at least not bored anyone... that or you are all too polite. :) I'm not going to reply to the posts here, but what I might do is use the points you've made and the questions you've asked as basis for future blog entries. Thanks again.

riverflow
    @riverflow, I am not comparing @mindatrisk with Marks and Engels, I am comparing the strategies that he and they employ, and however I view it there is something that needs to be addressed. Communism is about the community owning everything and redistributing wealth etc according to ability and need - There are echoes of this in his posts - It does not allow for the 'capital vices' which is communisms downfall.

Maybe I am reading too much into @mindatrisks motives, but my advice is that he meditate and let his mind settle first then look at his agenda (sorry @mindatrisk if I appear to be talking as if you are not here - ok you are not, but ... I find your posts stimulating, regarding your projects - I see you have a blog, and I enjoyed the jelly bean video, but, do you regard yourself as a buddhist or is there something else that drives you or… send me a PM)
  • anataman said:

@riverflow, I am not comparing @mindatrisk with Marks and Engels, I am comparing the strategies that he and they employ, and however I view it there is something that needs to be addressed. Communism is about the community owning everything and redistributing wealth etc according to ability and need - There are echoes of this in his posts - It does not allow for the 'capital vices' which is communisms downfall.

Maybe I am reading too much into @mindatrisks motives, but my advice is that he meditate and let his mind settle first then look at his agenda (sorry @mindatrisk if I appear to be talking as if you are not here - ok you are not, but ... I find your posts stimulating, regarding your projects - I see you have a blog, and I enjoyed the jelly bean video, but, do you regard yourself as a buddhist or is there something else that drives you or… send me a PM)

Yeah i'm a Buddhist. I don't know anything about communism, apart from 'from each according to his ability, to each according to his need'. I can see where you picked up the echoes, though. But i'm not interested in new systems, but in a transformation of the human heart. I would love every human being to live in material security - not because a government has imposed it, but because this is the natural will of humanity.

My interest is inspiring and motivating our innate goodness and using that as a basis for a new society. That idea will be developed over time as it matures in my mind, but that is the essence. I am absolutely against any system or ideology being imposed upon any human being. I just want humanity to choose to be their goodness.
  • For anyone who is curious, this is how the people at the David Icke forum responded to the exact same thread.

http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showthread.php?t=262757

I also posted the same thread at a business forum, but their site is down at the moment. I like to get a good cross section of feedback, and it's interesting to see how responses differ from different backgrounds.
  • I'm starting a blog called Just Changing the World which is going to chart my exploits as I attempt to (just) change the world.

http://justchanging-theworld.blogspot.co.uk

That's great! We will change ourselves in the process!
  • I like to get a good cross section of feedback
    Que?
    Deranged conspiracists, baby Buddhists and the capitalist community.
    Changing the world by redefining 'good'? Have I discovered a flaw in your plan?
    :-/
  • @mindatrisk

Please don't post our threads/comments anywhere else online. You shouldn't post other forum's threads here, either, You shouldn't post anyone's comments anywhere else, without explicit permission.
    I don't want my posts everywhere and anywhere, thanks.
    vinlynriverflowThePensummisterCope