Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Resolution Plans

Any new year resolution plans?

I achieved mine last year. It took six months (not counting the previous efforts). My new year resolution this year is to become unenlightened.
It may be hard. It may be impossible, irrelevant or even contrary to common sense, esteemed dharma dogma . . .
However this is what I read in a Zen cracker:
First there is a mountain, then no mountain, then a mountain.

Personally I am not much of a spiritual climber. So the state of the mountain is of no concern . . .

What is your mountain for this year - if any?
Vastmindoceancaldera207MaryAnnebetaboycvaluemisterCopeDaltheJigsaw

Comments

• I am thinking about forcing myself to write for one hour a day, every day.
    Ever since a young age I dreamed of writing; the crafting of worlds, the conveyance of a message...

JeffreyMaryAnnecvalueDharmaMcBum
  • I never normally make resolutions but this year I have a few.
    1. Cut back on alcohol at least
    2. Keep a diary
    3. Skate more
    4. Be more mindful of my actions
    cvalueJeffrey
  • Ever since a young age I dreamed of writing; the crafting of worlds, the conveyance of a message...

I notice a few have mentioned this already. It has tremendous value on a number of levels and I would recommend a blog. One technique that I valued, is the 'Zen' writing method of just sitting by the keyboard for an hour. ;)

. . . however to overcome the dreaded writers block, you must write, even if drivel, even if stream of consciousness. If you do this, you will find you have the basis for words to clear up, ideas to develop, insight into your arisings etc. Wonderful process - a sort of poor mans psychological analysis . . . were you get to review the notes . . .

I prefer tumblr of the top three blogging services here but may give google+ a go
    http://thenextweb.com/apps/2013/08/16/best-blogging-services/

I wish our new writers every success. Maybe you could spend an hour writing and refining a reply here?

:rockon:
    DandelionJeffreyoceancaldera207
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    Eat less and exercise more
    Learn to lucid dream
    Study dharma more
    Meditate more
    Be more selfless
    Be less judgemental.
    cvalueJeffrey
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Be a better me.

Separate the wheat from the chaff.

start smiles.
    cvalueJeffrey
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    Resolutions, vows, and plans are meant to be broken. So i dont bother.

Im going into the monastery in 5 months and im not going to make one regarding that either.
    MaryAnneChaz
  • DandelionDandelion London Veteran
    I'm terrible at sticking to resolutions. So, I just have an idea of things I would like to do/change.. and when the time is *right*..... one of which is to go tee total... it will happen naturally :)
  • Jeffrey said:

Go back to a gym routine. My mom and I were going 3 days a week and then my grandma got sick. So now that all the Christmas hubub is done we can renew our gym practice.

Boy, do I hear that! I'm getting back on track to try to drop this 20-25 lbs, and maybe get a little more muscle and strength back in the process. Three to four days in the gym, maybe some kettlebell work on the off-gym days, diet being watched like a hawk.

cvalueJeffrey
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Don't make 'em.
    Don't break 'em.
    lobsterMaryAnneDharmaMcBum
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    genkaku said:

Don't make 'em.
    Don't break 'em.

Great minds think alike :-P
  • I want what @poptart is having!
    poptartcvalueDandelion
  • GuiGui Veteran
    Be a fool.
    cvaluemisterCope
  • My new resolution for this year is an unattainable goal!!! That is meditating for 1 hour with no thoughts arise at all. A mission impossible but I will make it a goal anyway. Aim high reach high.
    JeffreyanatamanDharmaMcBum
  • I want to deepen my daily dental flossing practice.
    cvalueJeffreymisterCope
  • Try dental floss with pipe cleaners. That would be epic dental flossing.
    cvalue
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Jeffrey said:

Try dental floss with pipe cleaners. That would be epic dental flossing.

I could do that; I've had my two front teeth kicked out. My A.A. sponsor tells me when I reach a certain level of spiritual purity, they'll grow back.

Is there any truth in this?

JeffreyDharmaMcBum
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    Whatever I know I will probably fail! But let's start somewhere

So start with something little:

I will try not to shout at my children...

Damn failed already.

Ok try not to say something unkind about someone today

Shit failed because I've already been unkind about someone twice today already...

Last try: I want to make someone smile tomorrow!
    DharmaMcBum
  • oceancaldera207oceancaldera207 Veteran
    edited December 2013
    lobster said:

Ever since a young age I dreamed of writing; the crafting of worlds, the conveyance of a message...

I notice a few have mentioned this already. It has tremendous value on a number of levels and I would recommend a blog. One technique that I valued, is the 'Zen' writing method of just sitting by the keyboard for an hour. ;)

. . . however to overcome the dreaded writers block, you must write, even if drivel, even if stream of consciousness. If you do this, you will find you have the basis for words to clear up, ideas to develop, insight into your arisings etc. Wonderful process - a sort of poor mans psychological analysis . . . were you get to review the notes . . .

I prefer tumblr of the top three blogging services here but may give google+ a go
    http://thenextweb.com/apps/2013/08/16/best-blogging-services/

I wish our new writers every success. Maybe you could spend an hour writing and refining a reply here?

:rockon:
    Thanks! The truth is most of my replies here take about a half an hour as it is! Hehe. But I'll give it a shot.
    I tend write in a way that is relaxed; my inclination is to convey my thought streams as they they occur...but yet, it still takes me quite a while to end up with a result that I'm happy with. When I do go back and read what I've written though, I usually find that it is pretty dense and conveys a lot in not as many words as one would think necessary.

I do, however, become quickly discouraged when I feel like I am expending a large amount of energy with very little likelyhood of anyone being interested. The truth is, I don't seem to be able to write 'just for myself'... While writing I am always preoccupied with the probability of a reader understanding, being interested in, and gaining some value from what I'm saying.
    And when I do write, any perceived lack of reader interest or understanding is very discouraging to me. Truth be told, my confidence in writing is quite fragile, and can be puffed up or blown away very rapidly.
    I guess I have the idea that forcing myself to write, even if no one is listening, is a way to overcome this issue of reader acceptance that I have. I have always gotten the sense that good writers have learned how to enjoy expression without being overly concerned with how their writing will be perceived....and this is what makes their work authentic and accessible.
    So, here is a quick story from work.
    I work for a transport company and I see just about everything. The other day though, I saw something I hadn't seen before (although without a doubt this is something that occurs every day.) While driving and conducting business in a less than..'quiet' neighborhood, I witnessed a large black dog in some distress, standing on two legs up against the outside of a tall wooden fence. As I got closer, I realized that he was still chained from inside the yard and was frantically trying to stay upright on two legs so as not to choke on his own collar. I pulled over and so did another motorist. We were both hesitant to get near him, as he was large, mangy and obviously scared. I approached him slowly and I realized that he was quite friendly, but more than that, I could sense in his eyes that he knew I could help him. He was also getting low on air and energy.
    We finally managed to lift him up to get him unhooked, and we finally aroused his nonchalant owner, who told us that this 'wasn't the first time'.
    So, I drove away knowing that our friend would live to see another day...albeit in less than ideal conditions obviously.
    I know that humans tend to want to give human emotions to animals, but yet I'd swear that he had the most interesting look on his face as I approached him..a look that had fear, hopefulness, appreciation and relief all at the same time. Funny how impressions like this occur..and I wonder; will I ever know if those emotions were his, or mine.

lobsterDharmaMcBum
  • Wow. Enjoyed the black dog story. I used to follow the blog of a waiter. Everyday he reported on incidents and his internal reactions to them. Need a dharma slant?
    http://tinybuddha.com/get-featured/

Most of us are social creatures, even if solitary writers.
    Straight_Manoceancaldera207cvalue
  • oceancaldera207oceancaldera207 Veteran
    edited December 2013
    As far as blogging is concerned, it is something I handnt considered, but it is probably a good outlet as well as
    means for practice.
    alas, I think id be better suited for writing technical manuals

;)
  • Am just keeping it simple: continuing to help others and follow the 8FP with the best intentions, oh, and publish that book I've been working on, finish my graduate school thesis, and climb Kilimanjaro. All easily attainable....
    cvalue
  • rohitrohit Maharrashtra Veteran
    It would be lot better if i start to plan my time table to act upon and apply it successfully in day to day life.
    Everything is ruined without it. :(
    cvalue
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    My resolution is however I can best practice in the moment I occupy.
    It makes "Next year" just an odd signpost to tie anything to.
  • MaryAnne said:

I want what @poptart is having!

Indeed.
    We have a plan.
    :clap:

I was hoping one or two might try to become a stream entrant, Bhumi level one, Boddhisattva, enlightened etc but it seems other priorities abound . . .
    If this aspiration became manifest, I could have asked for a universal blessing and managed to squeeze myself into the beneficiaries . . .

ah well :facepalm:

back to the resolute . . . :wave:
    rohit
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    I resolve to be even more private about my hopes, dreams, joys, sorrows and expectations.
    lobsterpoptartDharmaMcBumrohit
  • cvalue said:

My new resolution for this year is an unattainable goal!!! That is meditating for 1 hour with no thoughts arise at all. A mission impossible but I will make it a goal anyway. Aim high reach high.

Surely if you make it a point to get to this point then you won't according to most teachings and teachers?
  • Daiva said:

and publish that book I've been working on, finish my graduate school thesis, and climb Kilimanjaro. All easily attainable....

more writing tips to help with book writing
    http://www.fabfreelancewriting.com/blog/2013/12/30/14-easy-ways-improve-writing-skills-2014-redux/

the only climbing I did involved me beeing practically dragged up the size of a quarry on a rope. I was rubbish!
    . . . have to stick with them zen mountains . . .
    Daiva
  • lobster said:

Daiva said:

and publish that book I've been working on, finish my graduate school thesis, and climb Kilimanjaro. All easily attainable....

the only climbing I did involved me beeing practically dragged up the size of a quarry on a rope. I was rubbish!
    . . . have to stick with them zen mountains . . .
    Before they are mountains again.
    lobster
  • cvalue said:

My new resolution for this year is an unattainable goal!!! That is meditating for 1 hour with no thoughts arise at all. A mission impossible but I will make it a goal anyway. Aim high reach high.
    @ThailandTom said:
    Surely if you make it a point to get to this point then you won't according to most teachings and teachers?
    Could be. I don't have many experiences in meditation so I just have to do the trial and error until I find a way to make it work. I like meditation and I like to see some improvement. I had and will have a lot of patience for meditation. What I am trying to do now is if there is a thought arise, I try not to forget and let it led me far away, I try to go back to the Now right away. The second a thought arise, I try to be awake enough to realize there is a thought and bring my mind back to NOW.

I should have re-written my previous post to replace "no thoughts arise at all" with "to be mindful always".
    JeffreylobsterThailandTom
  • cvalue said:

@ThailandTom said:
    Could be. I don't have many experiences in meditation so I just have to do the trial and error until I find a way to make it work. I like meditation and I like to see some improvement. I had and will have a lot of patience for meditation. What I am trying to do now is if there is a thought arise, I try not to forget and let it led me far away, I try to go back to the Now right away. The second a thought arise, I try to be awake enough to realize there is a thought and bring my mind back to NOW.

I should have re-written my previous post to replace "no thoughts arise at all" with "to be mindful always".
    Jeffrey
  • Namaste,

1 meditate more often
    2 show more compassion and love
    3 enjoy life to fullest
    4 be me

In metta,
    Raven

Outstanding. Inspiring.
    Dharma in its purest form. :clap:
  • BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    I don't make resolutions, but I have a plan. I'm going to rent out my condo (in Canada) and move to northern Thailand - Chiang Mai. Among other attractions, it has a Buddhist University that Ilan to check out.
    @Thailand Tom that's an interesting list that you have. Am curious about how you're going to do more skating in a land with no ice? :)
  • Barra said:

I don't make resolutions, but I have a plan. I'm going to rent out my condo (in Canada) and move to northern Thailand - Chiang Mai. Among other attractions, it has a Buddhist University that Ilan to check out.
    @Thailand Tom that's an interesting list that you have. Am curious about how you're going to do more skating in a land with no ice? :)

Skateboarding, I skated from age 11-15 or something like that, got pretty good but then stopped due to getting into partying and stuff. Bought a new setup a few months ago and have had a few sessions since. Once you fall n love with skating you always have that passion for it even if you stop.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    @Thailand
    U tube is jock filled with sacks of testosterone discovering during board stunting just how fragile life can be. Be safe Tom.
    ...OK...with this posting, I am now officially old!
    lobsterMaryAnnecvalue
  • how said:

@Thailand
    U tube is jock filled with sacks of testosterone discovering during board stunting just how fragile life can be. Be safe Tom.
    ...OK...with this posting, I am now officially old!

What :hrm: lol, I understood that youtube has a lot of skating material on there, I watch a lot of it daily in fact, but do you mean that it is dangerous? When I was around 14 I 'credit card'd' myself which is where the board flicks up vertically and you land with it in between your legs, that required a visit to the doctor and hurt like hell. I think I screamed like a little girl when it happened. Linked blow is are some examples of what a credit card is. Anyway thanks I will try to be safe, I have a bad heel injury at the moment so I can't skate but that is from a motorbike incident.

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited December 2013
    @ThailandTom
    For years I street raced Norton 850's, thankfully before videos were everywhere otherwise I'd now be sporting prison ink. Anyway. just another hypocrite hearing the sound of his fathers voice coming from his own mouth. I do hope that such a curse/blessing can one day be discovered by you.
    As much as the ball grinding in board tricking makes me cringe, its the unprotected skull cracking that makes me think of life altering or ending injury's.
  • how said:

@ThailandTom
    For years I street raced Norton 850's, thankfully before videos were everywhere otherwise I'd now be sporting prison ink. Anyway. just another hypocrite hearing the sound of his fathers voice coming from his own mouth. I do hope that such a curse/blessing can one day be discovered by you.

wow you dark horse :rockon: For me it often takes something drastic to happen for me to learn my lesson, I tend to take the long route so to speak. I had my worst motorbike crash the other day drunk and that has made me step back and think about drink driving for sure. I can't do anything tonight and I am going to be by myself on NYE because of it as well lol, fun fun fun.
  • Ah safety . . . the impossible residence?

A couple of days I was on my bike, travelling gently. The roads were icy, turned a corner. Wham, slammed into the road. Shook me up. Did not travel as far as I had intended. Be safe is good advice.

Dangerous dukkha world?
    For sure. :nyah:

Be safe. Getting old is not guaranteed. What is? NT1 anyone?
    how
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Keep trying, as hard as it may be at times, to mindful, to not cling and to know that I will fail, I will fall down, but get back up and not wallow in pity for my shortcomings.
    cvalueThailandTomJeffrey
  • Namaste,

1 meditate more often
    2 show more compassion and love
    3 enjoy life to fullest
    4 be me

In metta,
    Raven

I make no apology for quoting this again as it is flawless.
    When the right thing is said in the right way by the right person, we have a 'precious jewel'.
    To say the words, to sit without sitting, to manifest compassion and love as 'practice', this is for gain.
    There is no sense of gain here, just life, dharma, honesty.

:bowdown:
    EvenThirdcvalueTheswingisyellow
  • DharmaMcBumDharmaMcBum Spacebus Wheelman York, UK Veteran
    I'm going to aim to have 2014 be like '13 for me. I'll try and meditate when I can, enjoy work like I do and meet more nice folks.
    Bit like all the other years before it really :)
    cvalue
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    More focus on myself, promotion, engagement and travel.