Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What would be your favorite Job if you could do anything?

Following betaboys thread I would like to find out what people would really like to do... mettha

Comments

• I need to push myself to take the entrepreneurial leap. A little too comfortable in the corporate world.
  • Cop, no question... "To protect and serve"
    jae
  • jaejae Veteran
    @Steve_B ... whats stopping you Steve? nothing ventured nothing gained and all that, you could always return to what you are doing now if your new path wasn't suitable... good luck whatever you do :)
  • EvenThirdEvenThird NYC Veteran
    I would do volunteer work full-time with tattooing on the side. What about you @jae?
    jae
  • rohitrohit Maharrashtra Veteran
    Free surgery to needy people and to help them.
    jaeDobs
  • jaejae Veteran
    edited January 2014
    @EvenThird my favorite job was being a housewife, not very rock'n'roll but I got an enormous amount of satisfaction of being a stay at home mum, cooking, cleaning keeping house and being there when my kids were little. My marriage broke up and I had to work and I cannot afford not to work now.. anyhow if my financial situation changed I'd go back to that lifestyle without hesitation as my kids are all older now I'd have the time to do some things that may help others.

I admire your wish to do volunteer work and love the fact you are an artist, do you draw/paint ?
    EvenThirdInvincible_summer
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    As long as there is disease and suffering due to old age/accidents, I'll have to keep in the field I'm in. Maybe get more schooling so I can serve the world better.

In an ideal world where we have already vanquished suffering, it's an easy one for me...

Particle physicist/astronaut with a pilots license for my spare time.
    jae
  • jaejae Veteran
    @ourself ...shame we can't 'lol' and 'awesome' your post is worthy of both! mettha
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    Egyptologist. I actually was hoping on becoming one when I was younger but I came back to reality pretty quick.
    Invincible_summer
  • jaejae Veteran
    @TheEccentric.... facinating stuff but why do you say 'I came back to reality pretty quick' ?.
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    jae said:

@TheEccentric.... facinating stuff but why do you say 'I came back to reality pretty quick' ?.

Because now I realize it isn't really a realistic ambition. It is something that would be very hard to get into and I would have to learn hieroglyphics and other things which would be very difficult.
  • jaejae Veteran
    oh ok well good luck in what ever you are doing ...mettha thanks for explaining.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2014
    personal life motivator and general topic enthusiast..... how to combine my love of Dog Behaviour, Buddhism, gardening, and Feng Shui/Qi Gong in one session....?!
    Invincible_summer
  • jaejae Veteran
    @federica... funny, we are going to get two rescue kittens in an hour and my daughter is so excited she's just posted this on FB this is Rosy my dog... the words are her own.
    JainarayanHamsaka
  • jae said:

@Steve_B ... whats stopping you Steve? nothing ventured nothing gained and all that, you could always return to what you are doing now if your new path wasn't suitable... good luck whatever you do :)

There would be no going back, and other people depend on my income, it's not just me. There are things that need to be in place. I'm on the path, but I get impatient with the required pace.
  • misterCopemisterCope PA, USA Veteran
    @federica, have you ever read The Hidden Life of Dogs by Elizabeth Marshall Thomas?

And, in an effort to remain on topic, I would love to teach English. Working on it!
    jae
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I have it on my bookshelf, and it was given to me... but alas, time constraints have prevented me from reading it in-depth... maybe now, that I have time on my hands.....
  • Is there any job where you get to smell the roses?
  • jaejae Veteran
    @footiam.... gardening ! sorry couldn't resist :)
  • jaejae Veteran
    @Steve_B.... I sympathise with you and understand your priorities come first before your own ambitions ... admirable
  • DobsDobs Maine, USA Explorer
    I would be a retired billionaire specializing in adventure travel while helping people in impoverished areas.
    jaeInvincible_summerstavros388
  • jaejae Veteran
    @Dobs ... if you make it can I have a job please? :clap:
    Invincible_summer
  • DobsDobs Maine, USA Explorer
    @jae You're on the list! Now all I have to do is find that billion or two.
  • jaejae Veteran
    @Dobs ..ah well if you don't make it you can visit Guernsey ... I'm impoverished and in need of an adventure!!
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Guernsey, Wyoming?
  • jaejae Veteran
    No... Guernsey Channel Islands :)
    TheEccentricBarra
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    oh
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    For three years, I ran a farm. I was a farm woman; I cooked and learned to can and preserve, I learned to garden and harvest. I got a herd of dairy goats and learned to milk, take care of the goats, and did various things like make cheese to preserve the milk. I midwifed goats while they kidded. I had chickens, turkeys, geese and guinea fowl, a great big Pyrenees to guard everyone. I didn't work as a nurse during this time.

It was, aside from it being the end of my marriage (and good riddance) the best time of my life in terms of 'what would you do if you could'.

Ironically I was born and bred a city girl, college educated and looked great in power suits until I quit smoking (still working on that weight gain 8 years later, very annoying). The farm was my ex husband's idea, not mine, but I was the one that ended up loving it.

At some point in the near (I wish) future, I will cut my hours at work WAYYY back, and do exactly what I wrote above, again. Except in the meantime I've learned to spin yarn and apparently I'm pretty good at it. If you pick up an artful hobby after your life falls apart and do it to maintain your sanity, sometimes it turns into something very worthwhile!

Gassho :)
    DandelionInvincible_summer
  • DandelionDandelion London Veteran
    @Hamsaka - wonderful, wonderful :)

In my day dreams I stay at home all day and make a living from being a full time artist, and I am a Stay at home cat mama to Dandelion and Burdock.

Hamsaka
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited January 2014
    There is an organization that produces solar stoves and an accompanying 2 day education course for Haitian women on how to cook and purify water with that system.

Those women no longer have to divi up 24 % of their family income for charcoal for conventional cooking and are also using their fuel free stoves for making and selling bread in their neighborhoods.
    I have recently donated to the organization and am seriously wondering about donating my time as well.
    HamsakajaeVastmindInvincible_summer
  • My favorite job would be psychologist if I could handle talking with strangers a little better.

I am working to realize another favorite though not very lucrative profession. I want to be a chemistry, math, and physics tutor. I just have to review all of the stuff I learned 13-18 years ago. That's no small order.
  • jaejae Veteran
    @Hamsaka ... well I hope the time between now and you fulfilling your wish is short

That lifestyle sounds idyllic ...especially seeing goats kid, I lived in a farm house when was much younger... we had chickens, ducks, goats and a donkey... fantastic as kids to growing up around animals, it wasn't a working farm just a home with a bit of land and a father that loved animals, good luck to you
    Hamsaka
  • jaejae Veteran
    @Jeffrey.... only an idea but why not try a part time job in a bar or as a waiter, you will be surprised how much you can learn about people and it may help you with communication, its bloody hard work though .... and crap wages but it might help?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2014
    I am not mentally fit to be a waiter. I have terrible short term memory because of my drugs for mental illness. Also I have a history of paranoia. Also I am very much slowed down. A waiter must be fast and efficient.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
  • bfg84bfg84 Explorer
    i would love to be a footballer......or a cowboy ;)
  • jaejae Veteran
    @bfg84.........Yehar!
  • jaejae Veteran
    @bfg84...nice to cyber meet you by the way :)
  • bfg84bfg84 Explorer
    jae said:

@bfg84...nice to cyber meet you by the way :)

you to my friend!
  • EvenThirdEvenThird NYC Veteran
    @jae Yes I draw/paint, mostly little drawings in pencil and ink these days, but I'm trained in traditional mediums (although I rarely use them)

I think staying at home and taking care of everything is wonderful.. I'm a sucker for cooking myself, its so soothing to me.
    jae
  • BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    how said:

There is an organization that produces solar stoves and an accompanying 2 day education course for Haitian women on how to cook and purify water with that system.

Those women no longer have to divi up 24 % of their family income for charcoal for conventional cooking and are also using their fuel free stoves for making and selling bread in their neighborhoods.
    I have recently donated to the organization and am seriously wondering about donating my time as well.

You should join a Rotary club. We do a lot of international projects like this. We do them in partnership with Rotary clubs in the developing world. I am, in fact, heading down to Antigua, Guatemala at the end of the month to visit a Project Fair, where folks from down there showcase projects (clean water, literacy, school meals, etc. etc.) that they need financial partners for. You'd love it, and you'll meet interesting people from your community who (if they are anything like my club) have a wicked sense of humour.
    jaeVastmindhow
  • BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    Stand up comedian and/or event planner.
    jaeVastmind
  • jaejae Veteran
    edited January 2014
    @EvenThird... my eldest son and daughter are keen artists this is one of my daughters ...
    EvenThird
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    Namaste,

In a former life, I sang for a living. I LOVED it. I would love to return to it. I have recently qualified as a Reiki practicioner, and, as some of you know, was recently made redundant in my soul destroying IT job. I'm getting casual work here and there but nothing solid and permanent. So I take that as a sign to start working as a Reiki healer sooner rather than later.

But I would really LOVE to work as a singer again.

In metta,
    Raven
    DaftChriscvalue
  • jaejae Veteran
    @dhammachick... hello nice to meet you... could you take the redundancy as a sign to start singing again, as well as doing the Reiki? mettha
  • Guitarist. Not like a famous touring big name band rock star, just a successful studio player would be great.
    jaeVastmindInvincible_summer
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    jae said:

She is 12...

That's amassing for a twelve year old.
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    If I could do anything...?
    Preschool Teacher and flower arranger.