Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Terrorism - right or wrong?

This is a rather controversial matter. Some people say terrorism is wrong no matter what. No justification. Others say, "One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter." They also say that since society is barbaric, it has no right to judge other barbarians; that's hypocrisy. And so on.

What is your view, as a human being and as a Buddhist? If the Buddha were living today, what would he say? Dull platitudes like 'don't kill', 'be good' etc., or will he go to the bottom of things?

I hope people can be civil while discussing this, thanks.

Comments

• DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    Oy vey.
    betaboypoptartKundo
  • Terrorism is killing random people in order to send a message to their government. The act is abhorrent and so are its perpetuators. I see no contraversy here. Some things are actually pretty black and white.

(Sure, if one investigates the conditions under which terrorism fosters, they'll come to some understanding of and even empathy towards terrorists. However, if a rabid dog is charging at you, the correct action is clear. You emphathizing with the dog's disease does not make that action less correct).
    vinlynKundo
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Terrorism is a modus operandi (a small number of people who have a fringe goal who use high visibility violence to get any attention in a desperate move to change something somehow). It's not a very Buddhist modus operandi.

It's also a slur-- a word tossed around to mean people who oppose the state, or state policy, or people you just don't like.

Its better to work with in a system, more likely to be peaceful, but some systems don't really care what the people think. Even there, some solutions are going to exacerbate samsara, make a difficult situation worse.

Maybe French freedom fighters are a good example more skillful resistence, especially when they were blowing up rail roads. Ghandi of course. The peaceful revolutions in eastern europe where the desire of change was so universal it reach into the group of people who ran eastern europe. (Didn't work in China though.)
  • Terrorism is killing random people in order to send a message to their government. The act is abhorrent and so are its perpetuators. I see no contraversy here. Some things are actually pretty black and white.

(Sure, if one investigates the conditions under which terrorism fosters, they'll come to some understanding of and even empathy towards terrorists. However, if a rabid dog is charging at you, the correct action is clear. You emphathizing with the dog's disease does not make that action less correct).

Governments use terrorism, corporations use terrorism, it is not such a black and white matter.
    Chaz
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited January 2014

Maybe French freedom fighters are a good example more skillful resistence, especially when they were blowing up rail roads. Ghandi of course. The peaceful revolutions in eastern europe where the desire of change was so universal it reach into the group of people who ran eastern europe. (Didn't work in China though.)

GHandi actually served under the brits in ww1, he created an all indian medic group and traveled to Europe from a feeling of allegiance to england.

I read a few books about Ghandi in the past few months. He actually advocated for violence if you could not stay true to the principles and lifestyle of non-violence... He didn't care much for hypocrites lol, go all the way or do not go at all! My kind of guy.
  • Upon a deeper examination, you're right. For instance, the Hiroshima bombing was an act of terrorism by my own definition above, but some say that it saved way more lives than it took by encouraging Japan to capitulate rather than fight for every inch of its land. I sure am happy I'm not a politician who has to do such calculus.

Darnit, I do my best to abstain from participating in such discussions: nothing good has every come out of it. Don't know what bit me this time. I guess I really crave for at least something to be black-and-white. And, I guess, the very point of Buddhism is that there's nothing like that.

Peace and farewell, y'all. And report any suspicious activity to police ;)
    edited January 2014

Well the bombs were dropped during an officially sanctioned war, so i dont think it would be terrorism in the strictest sense.

Speaking of reporting i was at the movies to see lone survivor and they have the normal "safety briefing" before as usual.. However this time the first thing they said was report suspicious persons lol. 1984 arrived on America very slowly over the last 40 years, greatly sped up by 911.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited January 2014
    All war is terrorism. Violence inflicted by armies is designed to strike fear and terror into the hearts of the enemy. The enemy is usually defined as the opposite army and government, not the civilian population. That sure makes for some messy exceptions, doesn't it?

We started this century defining terrorism as isolated acts of destruction specifically against civilian populations to inflict punishment and create fear with no purpose beyond that. Nobody expects an act of terror to cause the government to throw up their hands and surrender. It's pure revenge.

Nowdays, any actions that get in the way of the status quo are defined as terrorism by the authorities simply for the emotional knee-jerk reaction. The local police and government officials declared the ragtag bunch of protesters in the US known as the "Occupy Wall Street" movement to be "domestic terrorists", believe it or not. Are the protesters trying to cause fear and terror? Are they using violence to make a point? Of course not.

Buddha and Buddhism must conclude that terrorism as causing harm to the innocent is wrong. Period. But not everything called terrorism fits that definition.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Is a poster who continually uses controversy to fuel his/her threads, a terrorist?.

Is waking up from our own delusions, an act of terrorism to our ego?

Terrorism is just the fruition of a them and us mentality, held by anybody.
    Kundo
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

Terrorism is killing random people in order to send a message to their government. The act is abhorrent and so are its perpetuators. I see no contraversy here. Some things are actually pretty black and white.

Governments use terrorism, corporations use terrorism, it is not such a black and white matter.
    To support that contention I think you're redefining the word terrorism...at least on any great scale.

• vinlyn said:

Terrorism is killing random people in order to send a message to their government. The act is abhorrent and so are its perpetuators. I see no contraversy here. Some things are actually pretty black and white.

To support that contention I think you're redefining the word terrorism...at least on any great scale.

The problem is that as words get widely used, they begin to be generally applied until they lose their specific original meanings. For instance, "addiction" is a physical dependency on a substance that builds toleration and causes physical sickness when withdrawn. Once the medical treatment industry got hold of the term, addiction is now defined as any repeated, undesired behavior. Wanting sex is an addition. Wanting food is now an addiction. The internet use is now an addiction.

So now terrorism is any behavior that disrupts the status quo.
    matthewmartinVastmindDavid
    Cinorjer said:

vinlyn said:

The problem is that as words get widely used, they begin to be generally applied until they lose their specific original meanings. For instance, "addiction" is a physical dependency on a substance that builds toleration and causes physical sickness when withdrawn. Once the medical treatment industry got hold of the term, addiction is now defined as any repeated, undesired behavior. Wanting sex is an addition. Wanting food is now an addiction. The internet use is now an addiction.

So now terrorism is any behavior that disrupts the status quo.
    So, based on so many of Tom's anti-American posts, he's a terrorist!
    :p
    Cinorjer
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Jayantha said:

Is this a discussion regarding violence or non-violence in social/political action?

The actual term "terrorism" is a made up word that governments use to scare the populace into giving up rights and becoming subjugated. It is also a term that dehumanizes people and makes any reasoning for their actions null and void. They are just evil people who hate us for no good reason.

Yes. The "terrorism" bugaboo is used by some governments (China, notably) to label uppity minorities in order to gain the support of the US and the international community. Political motives behind this label should be discerned. That's not to say that killing innocent crowds of people is ok. It isn't. But we should be careful about jumping onto bandwagons and labeling all terrorists as "bad" (for example: Tibetan self-immolators), and the governments combatting them as "good".

But let's take the example of the anti-apartheid movement in South Africa. The SA gov't was a terrorist gov't itself. At first the opposition to it used peaceful means (that's where Gandhi got his start, for those of you who didn't know). Although this worked to draw international criticism to the gov't, it didn't stop anything. Oppression and violence by the gov't escalated. So the local anti-apartheid movement switched tactics to engage in armed resistance. That created enough of a mess (along with the international movement toward stock divestment in SA industry) that the gov't was forced to negotiate and reach a settlement, opening the door to full democracy, i.e. majority rule, 1 vote per person.

What conclusion to draw, here? Well, Mandela famously decided violence was not the way. It only begets more violence, more death. Perhaps the tide would have turned without the move to armed struggle. I recommend everyone here see the new film, "Mandela, The Long Walk to Freedom", to decide for yourselves how best to handle such an extreme situation.

:thumbsup: (Buddhist film recommendation of the month )

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    ^^^ Going to see it tonight .... :D
  • Vastmind said:

Great! Let us know what you think. :)

Vastmind
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    wow, the trolling has no cap on NB, does it?

Trolliness is next to godliness.
    how said:

Is a poster who continually uses controversy to fuel his/her threads, a terrorist?.

not a terroist. a trollerist.

• wow, the trolling has no cap on NB, does it?

People like his threads. Look at all the responses.
    When he got banned last time he was posting with a much more negative tone. People didn't seem to respond so well.
    betaboy
    robot said:

People like his threads. Look at all the responses.
    When he got banned last time he was posting with a much more negative tone. People didn't seem to respond so well.
    throwing controversial topics out there without adding any content or motivation for the posting of the thread is trolling. if all you are trying to do is illicit a reaction from a group of opinionated people, it is trolling. he's playing NB like a fiddle. a huge thread asking people to "share freely" about their professions/jobs without including your own profession/job is the epitomy of trolling.

if people like his threads, i can only assume they are unaware of what is really going on in the thread.
    betaboyKundo
  • Clicked on it before I noticed it was a b-boy thread.
    Could we have a category lower than "General Banter? " In reference to reincarnation, we could call it "Still in Beta."
    howbetaboyKundo
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    @TheBeejAbides
    He does provide a platform for all of us to examine questions that we might not otherwise bother with. One can be suspicious of his motives or the inflammatory ways his questions can be coached but the posted responses to his threads are no less Dharmic than any other thread.
    Chaz
    There's been a somewhat different tone lately...an improvement.
    edited January 2014
    Steve_B said:

Clicked on it before I noticed it was a b-boy thread.
    Could we have a category lower than "General Banter? " In reference to reincarnation, we could call it "Still in Beta."

not quite in beta yet. still in the alpha stage of development. whoever greenlighted it past the alpha stage should be fired immediately.
    :lol:
    how said:

@TheBeejAbides
    He does provide a platform for all of us to examine questions that we might not otherwise bother with. One can be suspicious of his motives or the inflammatory ways his questions can be coached but the posted responses to his threads are no less Dharmic than any other thread.

okay, fine. there's a lesson in everything. i can agree with that. and the responses are genuine and legitimate. but when you smell something fishy its usually because there's some dead fish around. in this case, its a catfish. i also called out Leon Basin for something similar a few months ago. the point is: if you have the balls to roll out this type of an issue, take a stance on it. QUALITY, not QUANTITY. riding the fence through a lake of lava that you created is not the middle way. its just cowardly.

Kundo
    edited January 2014
    I'm going on about my business......where was I ??
    Oh yeah.....
    Dakini said:

Vastmind said:

Great! Let us know what you think. :)

Can't wait to get the soundtrack.....cried through half of it....
    laughed at some...(He who has the trousers is the daddy)..hahaha

The woman who played Winnie was fantastic! Just a stunning
    performance.....I loved when he was explaining fear to the
    group of white men.....The ending....'Love can be taught'..
    *walks off into the African sunset*....lovely movie.

I still don't understand why equality costs so much?

The struggle continues ......

• Vastmind said:

Can't wait to get the soundtrack.....cried through half of it....
    laughed at some...(He who has the trousers is the daddy)..hahaha

The woman who played Winnie was fantastic! Just a stunning
    performance.....I loved when he was explaining fear to the
    group of white men.....The ending....'Love can be taught'..
    *walks off into the African sunset*....lovely movie.

I still don't understand why equality costs so much?

The struggle continues ......

What did you think about the part where Winnie has sided with a large violent faction, but Mandela upon being released from prison, tells her that only causes more death? He, himself, chose to take the movement into violent struggle in his earlier days. Do you think the movement would have succeeded if he'd stuck to peaceful civil disobedience and Gandhi-ism?

edited January 2014
    Do I think it would have succeeded?
    Honestly........no. :(

Which is why it costs so many people so many things.
    The contradiction is hard to swallow....But I can't even
    imagine what it takes to lead a revolution of that size....
  • jaejae Veteran
    @Dakini @Vastmind... what a shame it has to be that way.
    Vastmind said:

Do I think it would have succeeded?
    Honestly........no. :(

Which is why it costs so many people so many things.
    The contradiction is hard to swallow....But I can't even
    imagine what it takes to lead a revolution of that size....

I think we can see the same thing in the Civil Rights movement here is the United States. It did take some violence to get things moving.

• vinlyn said:

I think we can see the same thing in the Civil Rights movement here is the United States. It did take some violence to get things moving.

What violence are you referring to?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    "Everywhere Man longs for Peace, yet continues to prepare for War."
    Buddhism gives us the eightfold Path, and the Precepts - the first of which is a blinder.
    That says it all for me.

There's little point discussing whether terrorism - which ends up killing thousands upon thousands of innocent people every time - is Right or Wrong, on a Buddhist forum.

For discussions regarding the film 'Mandela', someone may feel free to open a new topic in "Arts and Writings" .

To discuss the film, that is.

Thanks to all who participated fruitfully.

This discussion has been closed.