Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

If someone were to ask me my religion, what would I say?

I dislike labels, but I know humans in general need them. We like to categorize. So if someone were to ask me my "religion", how would I respond? I am not Christian, I am not Hindu. I thought I could follow Hinduism, but as I learned more about it, things about it don't sit well with me. I am reluctant to call myself Buddhist because I don't know if I can. Here's what I believe, do and don't do...

I believe the Four Noble Truths and Eightfold Path. I believe I have taken refuge, because I believe the Buddha's teachings to be true, that he was (is) enlightened. I believe the Dharma is correct, and that the Sangha is like the loving embrace of one's mother (too corny?). I would like to keep the Six Perfections and Five Precepts 100%, but I admit it's hard... some days are harder than others.

I have a shrine and occasionally do offerings, though I know rituals are not required and some people go through their entire lives without so much as lighting a candle. I've come to disbelieve in an individual soul, but I believe in the rebirth of something that I can only describe as consciousness. I really don't know what you'd call it, except not a permanent self or identity. I'm drawn to Amitabha and Pure Land. I ashamedly admit I don't do nianfo nearly as much as I should, though I try to be at least somewhat mindful of Amitabha. I do believe in other deities from Hinduism and Taoism, not as any kind of supreme God, but rather as helper beings on higher planes. For example I wear a pendant of Hanuman because I believe him to be my patron deity of strength (I'm a gym rat) and courage.

So, is this Buddhism or something else?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I dunno... what do YOU think?

because deep down, that's all that really matters.
    VastmindZeroanataman
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    Whatever you want friend, we put enough labels on ourselves without asking more from others :-)

Find the confidence to look inside youself and make that decision, regardless of what others may say.
    Vastmind
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    I've thought about this too, and go back and forth between regarding the question is silly (and the person who would ask me even sillier) but that's not true or real or even honest.

Being asked such a question is a person attempting to understand who you are, and there is nothing wrong with that, it's just relationship. Where they PUT you in their own personal categorical system is their business and prerogative, we don't have much control over where people put us in their minds. We imagine we have MORE than we do. You can say "I'm a Satanist" and cause all kind of emotional perturbation in the person asking :D or cloak your answer deliberately so, in order to 'impress' or whatever. But the final placement ain't yours, it's theirs.

If you just tell them in your own best words (if you want to go to the effort), where they end up putting you is 90% the asker's prerogative and 10% what you choose to disclose and how you explain it. (The above % statistics are my own :P )

So what's the point going to all the trouble? I start losing the point, personally. I'm wondering why I 'need' to be in one certain category in another person's head versus another category. Does it matter? Maybe. But if my honest answer causes the asker to categorize me in a negative way, do I want to make an effort to stop that? And why would I? There may be good reasons, the asker may be someone you need something from badly.

To me it's not a matter of labels or categories so much as what my intentions are when I divulge my facts.

Gassho :)
    Jainarayan
  • gym rat
    . . . gym rat I believe is a religion.
    Richard Greer when asked if he was a Buddhist replied, 'I practice.'

. . . by the way, what religion are you? ;)
    Jainarayan
  • I've always considered myself "not religious". I don't consider Buddhism to be a religion.
  • I think you are all right in saying labels are meaningless. Personally I think it's Buddhism with my own twists, though I don't think those twists negate the core of Buddhism. I think I knew this all along but I am happy and appreciative for the perspectives. This is pretty much because I've come away from two quite dogmatic systems. Buddhism is just so common sense; non-dogmatism is so novel to me.
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited January 2014
    how said:

The most interesting answers are usually whatever your practice of the moment comes up with.

I like that answer. :)

I used to tell people I was Buddhist.....now I say..."You'll
    find out as you get to know me"

• Just tell them the truth.
  • What to tell people when they ask your religion? Whatever you want to. I would advise responding as honestly and as naturally as you can.
    Jeffrey
  • how said:

@Jainarayan

If everything changes, only those un interested in truth, carry around stock answers.

Just looking beyond the question at the intent of the questioner, probably results in a different answer every time, if skillful means come into the equation.

The most interesting answers are usually whatever your practice of the moment comes up with.

That's interesting because part of what prompts my inquiry is the motivation of ones who ask. Now I know that I tailor the answer to the intent... address my audience, as it were, without any falsehoods.
  • JohnG said:

Just tell them the truth.

Amelia said:

What to tell people when they ask your religion? Whatever you want to. I would advise responding as honestly and as naturally as you can.

That's what I've been trying to figure out. :lol:

Seriously, I felt I couldn't answer "Buddhist" because I thought I fell short of what Buddhism is, but I don't think that's the case, from all the answers. :)
  • cvalue said:
    I've taken that before, but as my beliefs have changed, it will be interesting to see what I come up with now.
  • Where does that question come up?
    I don't think anyone has ever asked me that. Religion is not much of an issue where I live though. I really only know a handful of religious people.
  • robot said:

Where does that question come up?
    I don't think anyone has ever asked me that. Religion is not much of an issue where I live though. I really only know a handful of religious people.

It comes up frequently for some of our members who live in the Bible belt, and other conservative predominantly-Christian communities. But living on the West Coast, I was never asked that question.

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited January 2014
    ^^^ True..... First question people ask you in Memphis...
    "Where is your home church"? and then.."where did you go
    to highschool"? hahaha...If you mess around and don't give
    a home church answer, you'll be given a lengthy invite to theirs....
  • robot said:

Where does that question come up?

With me, usually from my family. They are Roman Catholic (when necessary).
  • I would say I was a Buddhist because I intend to take refuge.
  • I dislike labels, but I know humans in general need them. We like to categorize. So if someone were to ask me my "religion", how would I respond? I am not Christian, I am not Hindu. I thought I could follow Hinduism, but as I learned more about it, things about it don't sit well with me. I am reluctant to call myself Buddhist because I don't know if I can. Here's what I believe, do and don't do...

I believe the Four Noble Truths and Eightfold Path. I believe I have taken refuge, because I believe the Buddha's teachings to be true, that he was (is) enlightened. I believe the Dharma is correct, and that the Sangha is like the loving embrace of one's mother (too corny?). I would like to keep the Six Perfections and Five Precepts 100%, but I admit it's hard... some days are harder than others.

I have a shrine and occasionally do offerings, though I know rituals are not required and some people go through their entire lives without so much as lighting a candle. I've come to disbelieve in an individual soul, but I believe in the rebirth of something that I can only describe as consciousness. I really don't know what you'd call it, except not a permanent self or identity. I'm drawn to Amitabha and Pure Land. I ashamedly admit I don't do nianfo nearly as much as I should, though I try to be at least somewhat mindful of Amitabha. I do believe in other deities from Hinduism and Taoism, not as any kind of supreme God, but rather as helper beings on higher planes. For example I wear a pendant of Hanuman because I believe him to be my patron deity of strength (I'm a gym rat) and courage.

So, is this Buddhism or something else?

instead of saying 'I believe' see whether you can say 'i know'
    if there is no 'doubt' only one can say 'i know'

if there is 'doubt' in anything above you said
    you have to read more, listen more and practice more

Jainarayan
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    Tell them you're a Baal worshiper.

That will have most people scratching their heads for an hour so you'll have plenty of time top get out unscathed.
    JainarayanjaeInvincible_summer
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Vastmind said:

^^^ True..... First question people ask you in Memphis...
    "Where is your home church"?

Salem.
    "where did you go
    to highschool"?
    Hogwarts.

VastmindjaeInvincible_summer
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    edited January 2014
    I don't really run around labelling myself buddhist except on this site, oh and when the Jehovah's Witnesses appear at my door, I like to call myself a buddhist then, and smile and invite them to 'sit with me in silence for the next hour as I am about to meditate.
    howJeffreyInvincible_summer
  • Thanks all... I have no problem saying "I'm not Christian" and "I'm not Hindu". Though I did have a problem calling myself Hindu, maybe because I never was. I like HHDL's answer. :)
    anataman
  • I am agnostic to deities and otherwise a devout Buddhist. (I can only hope after 14 years of practice)
    cvalue
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    Namaste,

I would have to say "I don't know" because I truly don't know at this point.

In metta,
    Raven
    Jainarayan