Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

New Tattoo

Getting a new tattoo.
Here's a pic

(Mindfulness.)

Upper centre back/lower back of neck.
Cool, eh?
BunksVastmindbfg84

Comments

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    No
  • Looks interesting. What does it mean?
    It does not mean 'I'm cool'! It means 'I'm just another fuckwit!' Forgive me NB regulars who have tattoos, but we all go through some kind of FW process in our lives.

Sorry, I am not an advocate of permanent body art - but am happy to discuss if you want to....

It might be interpreted as other things, but a discussion forum on buddhism (secular or non-secular - just for clarity) condoning self advertisements - boring!, BORING or just plain BOARing, dent work for me. But nothing really works for me any way!

If you believe that having a tattoo will bring you great happiness, great; all your hard earned cash indelibly engraved in your flesh!!!! - i remember seeing a Japanese tattoo when the guy doing the tattoo has actually made a major mistake and what you believed was a japanese symbol for I'm great' really means 'ingrate'.

But that is just my opinion, and as you don't know me it really doesn't matter, especially in an all forgiving forum like this, but, but, but, but, don't ask for an opinion when you have already committed yourself to it! Particularly when your avatar is basically a tattoo artists canvas!

Om mani padme hum! Oh that's just a mental tattoo btw..

Tosh
    but that wasn't me being nice! I had something to say @robot - and I said It!
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    anataman said:

It does not mean 'I'm cool'! It means 'I'm just another fuckwit!' Forgive me NB regulars who have tattoos, but we all go through some kind of FW process in our lives.

Sorry, I am not an advocate of permanent body art - but am happy to discuss if you want to....

It might be interpreted as other things, but a discussion forum on buddhism (secular or non-secular - just for clarity) condoning self advertisements - boring!, BORING or just plain BOARing, dent work for me. But nothing really works for me any way!

If you believe that having a tattoo will bring you great happiness, great; all your hard earned cash indelibly engraved in your flesh!!!! - i remember seeing a Japanese tattoo when the guy doing the tattoo has actually made a major mistake and what you believed was a japanese symbol for I'm great' really means 'ingrate'.

But that is just my opinion, and as you don't know me it really doesn't matter, especially in an all forgiving forum like this, but, but, but, but, don't ask for an opinion when you have already committed yourself to it! Particularly when your avatar is basically a tattoo artists canvas!

I am a little torn when it comes to Buddhist tattoos.

On the one hand I think having the buddha on your body may raise a query from the odd person which may then give the person an opportunity to talk about the dhamma which can only be a good thing right?

On the other hand, if I was just doing it to say "look at me. I am cool coz I'm a Buddhist" that's just more clinging to a label which is wrong view / action yeah?

just my two bobs worth anyway.....

I have my wife and kids names tattooed on my back but am holding off with the Buddhist tatt for now.
    Body art means nothing to me, other than self-expression. I have told my friends to their faces that I object to it.

And I do really object to it as it is nothing but self ridiculing self-expression!

Once again I apologise if I have offended anyone here if they have body art! I don't have it, and won't. It's a bit like drink driving, you do or you don't - it happens and we all know it happens. but one day someone has to pay for it!

dot dot dot
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    anataman said:

Body art means nothing to me, other than self-expression. I have told my friends to their faces that I object to it.

And I do really object to it as it is nothing but self ridiculing self-expression!

Once again I apologise if I have offended anyone here if they have body art! I don't have it, and won't. It's a bit like drink driving, you do or you don't - it happens and we all know it happens. but one day someone has to pay for it!

dot dot dot

Comparing getting a tattoo to drink driving. Interesting....
    Vastmind
    Bunks said:

anataman said:

I am a little torn when it comes to Buddhist tattoos.

On the one hand I think having the buddha on your body may raise a query from the odd person which may then give the person an opportunity to talk about the dhamma which can only be a good thing right?

On the other hand, if I was just doing it to say "look at me. I am cool coz I'm a Buddhist" that's just more clinging to a label which is wrong view / action yeah?

just my two bobs worth anyway.....

I have my wife and kids names tattooed on my back but am holding off with the Buddhist tatt for now.
    I agree with you in some respects @Bunks, but a symbol in a language that you have not formally grown up with - it's not right in my mind. Wife and children's names I understand, but, wouldn't do it myself.

Not claiming superiority, just making a valid argument for the sake of having an argument. Did @Seph want us all to say - ''cool tattoo, wish I had one like that',

This is a discussion forum after all, and I find the climate of body art ridiculous! But that is just an opinion, and it can change.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    How old are you anataman?
    I ask this respectfully and out of curiosity because this attitude towards tattooing is more typical of the over 50 crowd. Being an older bugger myself has me agree with you about much of it but saying that to someone already covered in tattoos seems unhelpful.
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    @anataman "...but a symbol in a language that you have not formally grown up with"
    You know it's awfully rich of you to say that in an alphabet that you have no cultural connection with-- how many of your immediate relatives are phonecian traders? Do you really have the right cultural claims to use the Latin alphabet, are you white enough, no low caste blood, do you have the proper empowerments, did you learn the right secret handshake? Elsewhere on the internet I saw someone suggest westerners should *NOT* adopt Buddhism and should stick with their own domestic religions, like who knows, a Roman era middle eastern devotional cult. Phtew! It's one thing to look down your nose at low brow customs, another to suggest someone can't do something because they aren't the right race or family background or birthplace.

re: Body mods and the Buddhist experience historically & world wide
    Creating permanent dot-like scars on the forehead in sets of 3, 9 or 18 was a feature of Chinese Buddhism (obligatory for all monks according to imperial decree-- made it easier to figure out who was a monk). They modified the Brahma Net Sutra to specifically mention one shouldn't criticize those who burn their flesh by burning incense on their heads. The custom grew out the indigenous practice of moxibustion (burning things on your skin, sometimes to the point of scars, sometimes just to create some heat)

In SE Asia, Buddhism mixed with local religion to create a custom of Buddhist tattoos (mostly magic charm with Buddhist themes)

ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yantra_tattooing

In my opinion, it's art. I like the forms of Buddhism that aren't anti-art (i.e. anti dancing, anti music, anti pictures and paintings)
    robot
  • A good percentage of the monks I've seen in Thailand, young and old, have tattoos. Some are covered in them.
    lobster
  • On the inside of my eyelids I would like tattooed
    'Be' and 'Kind'.
    Maybe I will get them in contact lens format as a HUD when available.

. . . and now back to the clothing debate . . .
    Bunksanataman
    edited February 2014
    how said:

How old are you anataman?
    I ask this respectfully and out of curiosity because this attitude towards tattooing is more typical of the over 50 crowd. Being an older bugger myself has me agree with you about much of it but saying that to someone already covered in tattoos seems unhelpful.

I'm nowhere near 50. But I do have an opinion. This is my opinion.

Vastmind said:

@anataman dot dot dot
    I do not accept your back handed apology.

This is the second thread that you just shot
    off. It didn't even call for all that.

You said " just making a valid arguement for the
    sake of having an argument."
    Yeah, I see.
    I find THAT climate ridiculous....but hey...
    do you.

How about....".Hmm...I'm not really into them....
    but it's your body"....or not participating in the
    thread at all....or keeping the fuckwit part to yourself?
    You could have left it at 'no'.
    The intention stinks to high hell.....

Good night :)

I am sorry @vastmind It wasn't backhanded, it was straight forward. I am a FW at times, and I like to let things out and be blunt. Have your tattoos, but don't expect everyone to suck up to your perspective. I am as entitled to my opinion as you are, it's just an opinion, albeit a strong one, and yes, No was probably appropriate, but didn't explain why I said No...

Sometimes being blunt is being honest, and if you are offended, then you have to ask why you have been offended. The intention was to show strong disagreement to the strong advocation of 'hey this is cool'. No I don't agree with tattoos as being cool Not apologising for that. And I won't comment again on tattoos, you know where I stand.

However, as a concession I will think twice before sating my opinion, and then will try and say it nicely!
  • I am reminded of the question, 'do I look good in this' that women ask their partners.

Always.
    jae
  • robot said:

No, you weren't being nice. You were being a dick.
    But that's just my opinion since we are saying whatever we want on this all forgiving forum.

Agreed, it always elicits from me the comment "Just because you can, or have the right to say something, doesn't mean you should". Some verbal boundaries should not be crossed in the interest of having (or not having) class or offending another person. It has nothing to do with p.c., it's sometimes just bad manners to spill one's guts.

That said, I do have a couple of tattoos that are meaningful to me. One is a Sanskrit OM on my right shoulder, and ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ on my left arm. If someone doesn't like them, as they say in Muhdder Ruhsha: "tofe sheetsky, meester". :D
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    @anataman having tattoos is a way of expressing yourself. I do not feel the need to have any either but just because you don't does not mean you should judge others.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I have mixed feelings about tattoos.

I respect that they are a personal choice, and those who want them, fine. But, I find many -- maybe even most -- unattractive. Others are quite beautiful. From what I see on Seph's profile pic, his are impressive. I remember seeing a couple of Thai guys who had similar tattoos covering their entire bodies (at least as far as I could tell...ahem). Stunningly beautiful.

But I also wonder if everyone who ever got a tattoo was always so pleased years later, particularly after they get old and flabby...or who don't get a job they wanted...or get turned down for a loan...or whose hoped-for-life-partner walks away. They're relatively permanent and they are part of the package that defines who you are.

To each his own.
    EvenThird

@anataman having tattoos is a way of expressing yourself. I do not feel the need to have any either but just because you don't does not mean you should judge others.

What is the point of "expressing yourself" if not to make some impact on others?

• bfg84bfg84 Explorer
    i think it will look great!
  • robot said:

Another classic example of the old motherly expression :
    "If you haven't got anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

My Japanese mother didn't say that. She said tattoos were a way of telling people you're stupid without opening your mouth.

But the Japanese link tattoos with Yakuza.

vinlynEvenThirdhowanataman
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    robot said:

anataman said:

but that wasn't me being nice! I had something to say @robot - and I said It!

No, you weren't being nice. You were being a dick.
    But that's just my opinion since we are saying whatever we want on this all forgiving forum.
    There's a saying which goes something like, "be the change you want to see in the world."

Or just do what you really want to do. :(
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    What is it when we define someone's behavior (such as getting a tattoo) as clinging, and then cling to their clinging?
    Ink in the skin......like all things, it too is impermanent and something one should not cling to, be one for or against tatoos.
    Nothing wrong with self expression, we express ourselves in a myriad number of ways from what we wear to how we decorate our spaces.
    The body is not self............yada yada yada you know the rest.
    EvenThirdlobsteranataman
  • Looks interesting. What does it mean?

It's Japanese kanji for “Mindfulness”
    lobster
  • It's Japanese kanji for “Mindfulness”
    Cool !¡!
  • anataman said:

...i remember seeing a Japanese tattoo when the guy doing the tattoo has actually made a major mistake and what you believed was a japanese symbol for 'I'm great' really means 'ingrate'

Yeah, I'm sure the Japanese kanji for “I'm Great” (絶好調です), (or "I am Great" - 私は偉大だ - and “ingrate” (恩知らずの)as so close. I mean, they nearly sound the same in English, right?
    anataman said:

Particularly when your avatar is basically a tattoo artists canvas

And yes, that avatar is me.

...wow... judgmental much?
    anataman said:

but a symbol in a language that you have not formally grown up with – it's not right in my mind.

As you were so attentive to notice that my “avatar is basically a tattoo artists canvas”, you should also notice that my back to turned. How do you know what my language is... or my culture... or my background... or my race?
    anataman said:

Did @Seph want us all to say - “cool tattoo, wish I had one like that'

What does anyone in this forum want us all to say? “Cool religion. Wish I could join?”
    I somehow think you have missed the entire purpose of a discussion forum, especially from someone who self-proclaims to be a “seeker of profound wisdom”.
    Blind and delusional.
    Sorry. Just saying.
    ...dot dot dot...
    anatamanTheEccentricChazKundo
  • Bunks said:

Although I do not have my wife and childrens' names tattooed on me, I have a piece that represents them (in symbols and images – not words).
    Bunks
    vinlyn said:

What is the point of "expressing yourself" if not to make some impact on others?

I wasn't judging I was just expressing. BTW, after seeing the pic that @lobster put above - I'm changing my view - I want one of those please!
  • federica said:

The only difference between those who have got tattoos and those who haven't got tattoos, is that - those who HAVE got tattoos don't give a flying phukk if you HAVEN'T got a tattoo.

@frederica
    I think this is the best post in this thread so far!
    (You're awesome, frederica!)

But, to be fair, I think the truth of the matter is haters gonna hate.
  • I love tattoos for several reasons.

1) They are an external artistic expression of an internal commitment. (usually)
    2) One lesson I have long since learned is that no matter what you do, or don't do, in life, someone will judge you. It's inevitable. I don't get bogged down with whether it's right or wrong anymore. It is simply a fact. Tattoos tend to reveal these people rather quickly. I like that. At least I know where I stand.
    3) And finally, it is my experience that many tattooed people understand the difference between Pain and Suffering. (They are not synonymous. Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional).

Why must we divide the world into them and us... or worst yet, them vs. us?
    @anataman. Do you really think it makes you better, or purer, or superior by trying to knock others down?
    Seriously, what is it that you are frightened of?
    lobsteranatamanhow
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    Seph said:

@anataman. Do you really think it makes you better, or purer, or superior by trying to knock others down?

He repented & apologized at 7:02AM. Unskillful speech happens.

Theswingisyellow
  • It's Fed not Fred.
    Just so she doesn't have to say it again.
    Seph said:

@frederica

federica
  • Seph said:

He repented & apologized at 7:02AM. Unskillful speech happens.

...yeah. I realized that now.
    (I put my thoughts together today during work. I don't normally have access to a computer at work).
    Sorry anataman

:(
  • robot said:

It's Fed not Fred.
    Just so she doesn't have to say it again.

Seph said:

@frederica

lol
    Oops!
    (I actually know that.
  • One lesson I have long since learned is that no matter what you do, or don't do, in life, someone will judge you. It's inevitable.
    Is this available as a heart tattoo?
    Theswingisyellowanataman
  • lobster said:

One lesson I have long since learned is that no matter what you do, or don't do, in life, someone will judge you. It's inevitable.
    ...huh...?
    anataman
    anataman said:

vinlyn said:

I wasn't judging I was just expressing. BTW, after seeing the pic that @lobster put above - I'm changing my view - I want one of those please!
    Please note that my comment was in response to TheEccentric.

No apology required @Seph. like you I lam starting to love this thread! Sorry Fred, you can't ban either of us now, @Seph now you are revealing yourself a bit more - perhaps we can have a nice chat over a cup of jasmine or mint tea!

So first let me introduce my self - my avatar is 'me' btw, and this world of gibberish is my tea-party I have put a lot into it, and it is rewarding - every day I do something really stupid - yesterday it was making a stupid statement about an opinion I held! And now I see my 'self' more for what it is.

I truly regretted what I said and if you are so thick-skinned that you can have a needle plunged into it and suffer the pain, but can produce something that says something about you, who am I to question you or your beliefs or what pleases you.

Mettha

By the way that is loving kindness with a sense of humour.

lobsterBunksSeph
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    lobster said:

One lesson I have long since learned is that no matter what you do, or don't do, in life, someone will judge you. It's inevitable.
    I bet it is! LOL!

• ...huh...?
    After the tattoos on my heart, I may have this tattooed on my Mind.
    anatamanTheswingisyellow
    lobster said:

On the inside of my eyelids I would like tattooed
    'Be' and 'Kind'.
    Maybe I will get them in contact lens format as a HUD when available.

. . . and now back to the clothing debate . . .

Sometimes you make me LMAO:

This image comes from a site that is an image consultancy in Australia and has no members, but plenty of guests!
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    federica said:

The only difference between those who have got tattoos and those who haven't got tattoos, is that - those who HAVE got tattoos don't give a flying phukk if you HAVEN'T got a tattoo.

And uh, they've really got something under their skin.
    Kundo
    ?
  • anataman said:

No apology required @Seph. like you I lam starting to love this thread! Sorry Fred, you can't ban either of us now, @Seph now you are revealing yourself a bit more - perhaps we can have a nice chat over a cup of jasmine or mint tea!

So first let me introduce my self - my avatar is 'me' btw, and this world of gibberish is my tea-party I have put a lot into it, and it is rewarding - every day I do something really stupid - yesterday it was making a stupid statement about an opinion I held! And now I see my 'self' more for what it is.

I truly regretted what I said and if you are so thick-skinned that you can have a needle plunged into it and suffer the pain, but can produce something that says something about you, who am I to question you or your beliefs or what pleases you.

Mettha

By the way that is loving kindness with a sense of humour.

No worries friend.
    Truth be told, I'm somewhat impressed.
    I've met some pretty nasty people of other discussion forums (I'm not there anymore) and I am impressed how you handled yourself and took responsibility.
    That's awesome!

All my tattoos have significant stories behind them (and on a side note, all of my tattoos are of my own design. Nobody else's work on me but my own).
    The largest piece's (on my back - a 25 hour ordeal) story can be read on my blogsite, if anyone's interested.
    http://pieceofburlap.blogspot.ca/2010/12/tattoo-solace-in-pain.html

Gotta go. We'll talk more later!
    :)
    anataman
    I'll look at your blog sometime.

Namaste
    Vastmind
This discussion has been closed.