Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

If you died tonight, what would be your biggest regret?

Buddha said death follows us like a shadow.
Bunks

Comments

• I regret to inform you that after death there are no regrets. ;)
    VastmindanatamanEvenThird
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    If I died tonight, my greatest regret would be that I died tonight.
    jaeVastmindmatthewmartin
  • Let me die first...... then I will get back to you on that.
  • I would regret dieing in Thailand. After the 20th, no problems.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I should have loved more.
    anatamanlobsterSilouanWonderingSeeker
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Great question!

Not seeing my kids grow up. That is all.
    lobster
  • I should have loved more.
    Regretfully that was not my answer. I am ready for death now . . .
    :wave:
  • That my death is going to cause so much suffering for my family and friends.
    seeker242betaboyabsoluteWonderingSeeker
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited February 2014
    @jll.....what would be yours?
  • If I knew that I was going to die tonight my biggest regret would be that I could have been more kind to others, particularly in my own family.
    EvenThird
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited February 2014
    my regret ? I should of walked away... I should of walked away.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Any time spent on pinning down regrets.
    tmottes
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited February 2014
    Hmm... I could have sworn I knew how to embed a video. Guess not.

If you are so inclined, I urge you to go to youtube and give Bruce Hornsbys Cruise Control a listen.

Blink of an eye at the wrong time...

No regrets, Baby.
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    Nothing! Buddhism works, right? So I'll be about to pass into parinirvāṇa and I'll be at peace with things as they are.
    cvalue
  • I would regret not being honest about my feelings with certain people.
  • You cant let yourself have regrets. That shows suffering and the attachment to the idea of what is "right". I would die with out regrets.
    Nobody should have to die wishing things were different.

May we all know peace.
    cvalue
  • Why should regret be equal to suffering? It can teach you a lesson on how to act differently in the future IMO. I don't think regret is necessarily a bad thing unless you dwell on it when you can't change anything about it in present.
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    federica said:

It's not too late. :)
  • Well, knowing my luck, I'll die some terribly, fiery, entirely out of the blue death. I think my final regret would be "I could have stayed in bed this morning"
  • jaejae Veteran
    @Zayl... some advice... smoke in bed then the terrible fiery death could be worth it
  • I took so many important decisions in my life, so lightly
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    If I died tonight I'd regret having a regret.
    cvalue
    Zayl said:

Well, knowing my luck, I'll die some terribly, fiery, entirely out of the blue death. I think my final regret would be "I could have stayed in bed this morning"

Sort of like the old line: "I'm so glad I died of massive heart attack, rather than the way the passengers died on the bus I was driving -- screaming with terror -- while on a treacherous mountain road in the Sierra-Nevada Mountains!"

• vinlyn said:

Zayl said:

Well, knowing my luck, I'll die some terribly, fiery, entirely out of the blue death. I think my final regret would be "I could have stayed in bed this morning"

Sort of like the old line: "I'm so glad I died of massive heart attack, rather than the way the passengers died on the bus I was driving -- screaming with terror -- while on a treacherous mountain road in the Sierra-Nevada Mountains!"

You blew the joke. It's "I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my Granddad, not screaming in terror like the passengers in the back seat of his car."
    Zayl
  • Ha, oh god @cinorjer, I'm sending you a medical bill. I think I laughed so hard I popped something...

Tbh if I had to choose a way to die? car accident. And let me tell you why. I want to go through those figurative pearly gates, backwards, at 120mph, and on fire. I want my kids to say when asked how did your father die, to go "well he missed the apex on that last turn and died in a massive fireball in the top of a tree"
    Cinorjer said:

vinlyn said:

Zayl said:

You blew the joke. It's "I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my Granddad, not screaming in terror like the passengers in the back seat of his car."
    I knew I didn't have it right...so I improvised...although I always heard it was a bus.

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    Ahhh...
    Buddhists often get a bit particular about choosing the right ride..
  • Amitabha Buddha will appear in front of me, so I will be busy to welcome him. No time for regret. I will be happy to follow him to the Pure Land. At least, this is my every day vow in front of Amitabha Buddha picture.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Not sure ... I think I'll stick with what I do know ... which is summed up in the old joke, "No one ever lay on his death bed saying, 'Gee, I wish I'd spent more time in the office!'"
    Yik_Yis_Yii
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I think that once I was dead, regret wouldn't be on the radar. If I knew my death was imminent within hours I probably will have wished that I studied the Bardos more, lol. I guess my biggest regret really would be that my 2 older children would have lost both of their parents (their father died 5 years ago).
    Cinorjeranataman
  • jll said:

Buddha said death follows us like a shadow.

Why don't we just regret when we are still alive and kicking?
  • The regret of not having lived longer, but thankful for all the good times.
  • DandelionDandelion London Veteran
    wangchuey said:

The regret of not having lived longer, but thankful for all the good times.

Me too.
    Also, not being able to finish my painting! Do they provide paints, brushes and canvas in any of the bardo's?

No, I didn't think so
    :(

wangchuey
  • missing the new season of Game of Thrones.
  • genkaku said:

Not sure ... I think I'll stick with what I do know ... which is summed up in the old joke, "No one ever lay on his death bed saying, 'Gee, I wish I'd spent more time in the office!'"

Here's another along similar lines: No one ever said to grieving family and loved ones; "Well, at least he/she always paid her bills...". Not a good source of comfort. ;)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Nevermind said:

federica said:

It's not too late. :)
    I know.
    Working on it.

Dumb threads excepted.... :p
  • federica said:

You can do that now by being a good moderator. Never too late, kid.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Whale-watching is on my bucket list. Also drinking guinness in Ireland again. Or possibly both at the same time? ;)
  • This question should be on a list of quiz questions for Buddhists. Those who say they still have regrets especially big regrets on their dead bed lose one mark. Sorry! Hu hu.
    edited February 2014
    betaboy said:

federica said:

You can do that now by being a good moderator. Never too late, kid.
    Don't you 'kid' me, you're on unsafe ground as it is....
    Should have banned more trolls, more quickly.
    Sometimes it's better to just rip the plaster off quickly.
    Those who need to watch themselves, know who they are....
    Kundo