Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Who are you? Where are you going?

. . . first a poem . . .

Attitude is Everything

Chapter 1
I walk down the street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I fall in.
I am lost ... I am helpless.
It isn't my fault.
It takes forever to find a way out.

Chapter 2
I walk down the same street.
I pretend I don't see it.
I fall in again.
I can't believe I am in the same place.
But it isn't my fault.
It still takes a long time to get out.

Chapter 3
I see it is there.
I still fall in ... it's a habit.
My eyes are open.
I know where I am.
It is my fault.
I get out immediately.

Chapter 4
I walk around it.

Chapter 5
I walk down another street.

~ Francis Altazar-Schwartz ~

. . . then a quote . . .

"The great events of world history are, at bottom, profoundly unimportant. In the last analysis, the essential thing is the life of the individual. This alone makes history, here alone do the great transformations first take place, and the whole future, the whole history of the world, ultimately spring as a gigantic summation from these hidden sources in individuals. In our private and most subjective lives we are not only the passive witnesses of our age, and it sufferers, but also its makers"
Carl Gustave Jung, CW 10, para. 315

. . . and now a question or two . . . the easy ones first . . .
Who are you? Where are you going?

PS. I am not the little guy waving goodbye . . .
:wave:
upekka

Comments

• I'm a fisherman.
    Heading for the grave and rebirth as a Spiny Dogfish.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    My email signature is similar.
    Who are you, and what do you want?
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    edited February 2014
    I'm a metaphorical fisherman, but haven't caught anything yet, and am not really bothered if I do it's the sport that counts; Waiting for my new cushion to arrive - need to sit a bit - that's where I will be heading on it's arrival?

I really feel that it should be easy to avoid these bloody potholes, but it's not...
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    "Who are you? Where are you going?"

I'm trying the 'be' thing right now.....then maybe I'll
    move on to the 'are'. :o
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    As they say in my part of the world: "oi dunno" :p
    Hamsaka
  • jaejae Veteran
    edited February 2014
    I'm Jaki .... Straight to hell .....but hopefully to help get all my mates out.... oh wait a minute aren't we here already? ;)
    Hamsakaanataman
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Is there a "you" to play with that "who"
    or another place that you could be?
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    Yes @how, there is. Provisionally :D

I am looking under rocks, tarps, logs, couch cushions; skulls, appearances, reactions; behind signs and portents. It makes sense out of the big stuff, for some reason.
  • Waiting for my new cushion to arrive - need to sit a bit - that's where I will be heading on it's arrival?
    You have a singing bowl . . . and now a cushion on order? How can you 'feel the Force' without the complete dharma kit?

;)

As we all know identity or intention can be symbolic. I will be more of a practitioner as soon as my relaxing meditation chair is affordable or I can find the time or money to be cloistered.

I (yes there really is such a thing) picked up my last mala from an Islamic shop, scared Allah half to death. Another is made from an African wooden bead necklace.

So far I have not found a symbolic toy substitute for being still with my mind but we can live in hope . . .

and now back to the real . . .
    http://www.patheos.com/blogs/prophetormadman/2011/11/05/he-who-has-the-most-toys-when-he-dies-wins/
    anatamancvalue
    The cushion needed replacing and I need the support to sit comfortably. The singing bowel sings to me of my intention. I can do without them both but hey that's me, how would I distinguish myself from you otherwise.
    lobster
  • I am a great believer in dharma toys. They remind us that one day we can put them away and play for real.

We face most things in life, we have no choice. The reason it is useful to ask and put away our foolish expressions, is not because they have no potential for service, far from it. We go beyond toy dharma because toys distract our practice away from the simple questions:
    What am I doing? Why am I doing it?

One is form. One is empty. Same set of toys. Different play.
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited February 2014
    First I want to say I'm sorry for sideways addressing you in another
    thread. I should come straight to you...and go from there.

Second...I don't expect you to 'dumb yourself down' for me...and I
    would ask that you not expect me to 'always figure it out'.
    Playing the riddler can leave the other person feeling not so
    equal and respected...if you know what I mean.
    It can come across (to me) as "It's for me to know, and you
    to find out". Open communication is a two way street and this
    learning and sharing I'm here to do...takes just that.
    It's okay to remove the mask, sometimes.
    One day you might meet a riddler that's more riddled than you. :D

Third...when all is said and done, your still my brother/lobster, and
    I love your humoUr and your ability to get 'out of the box'. hahaha
    Your dharma toys are some of my favorites...

I say this with the intention of love and understanding.

Gratitude for listening. :)
    jae
  • Who am I? Where am I going? I am still working on it. I will let you know when I figure it out.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    "All we are is dust in the wind, dude." From another famous "Matrix dude" movie.
  • I'm FP and I'm going to work. Life's greatest question answered. No need to complicate matters. ;)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    @Frozen_Paratrooper

I'm FP

No you're not. That's a name you give yourself. A label. Just like your real name. But it's not 'who' you are.
    and I'm going to work.
    No, that's another label. It's something you do to occupy your time and put food on the table, but it's not 'where you're going'....
    Life's greatest question answered. No need to complicate matters. ;)
    Evading the question or giving a flippant answer does not answer the question.

Just say, "I don't know."

It's perfectly ok to not know.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    edited February 2014
    May I ask a dumb question? What is FP?

Nevermind...his online persona.

Ok.
  • It's perfectly ok to not know.

According to tradition, Bodhidharma, the first Zen patriarch of China, came to visit Emperor Wu around 520. The emperor told Bodhidharma that he had built temples and given financial support to the monastic community, and asked the patriarch how much merit he had gained for these actions. Bodhidharma replied, "None whatsoever." Perplexed, the emperor then asked the eminent monk who he was to tell him such things, to which he answered, "I don't know." Bodhidharma then left the imperial court to continue his travels throughout China.

Later Emporor Wu wrote:
    "Alas! I saw him without seeing him;
    I met him without meeting him;
    I encountered him without encountering him;
    Now as before I regret this deeply!"

• pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited February 2014
    "'I am subject to aging, have not gone beyond aging.'

"'I am subject to illness, have not gone beyond illness.' ...

"'I am subject to death, have not gone beyond death.' ...

"'I will grow different, separate from all that is dear and appealing to me.' ...

"'I am the owner of my actions,[1] heir to my actions, born of my actions, related through my actions, and have my actions as my arbitrator. Whatever I do, for good or for evil, to that will I fall heir.' ...

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an05/an05.057.than.html

Hey wait a minute. Who is this I who is subjected to all these things?
    As that is a quotation directly attributed to the Buddha himself, he knows. That's for you to find out.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    I'm John and I'm going to the airport.

Or, if you want a "zen answer" you could say I'm a rhinoceros and I'm going to a birthday party on the plant pluto, where they have birthday pie instead of birthday cake, even though pluto is no longer a planet!
  • I'm going to Burma to get my passport stamped and I ran over and killed a kitty today on the motorbike. Came out of nowhere running full tilt right into my wheel. Neither of us had a chance to prevent it.
    Really sorry to hear that @robot; somethings are out of your control. I had something similar happen recently. A squirrel fell out of a tree splat onto my windscreen - made my wife and kids scream hysterically; fortunately I was driving, otherwise that squirrels death wish could have been ours! I just turned on the windscreen wipers and said a prayer for it as it was catapulted to the side of the road.

I could see in my wing mirror though that it was ok and went scuttling up the tree again probably to sit in wait and surprise the next motorist polluting its world. Perhaps it was a boddhisattva squirrel. Can animals be boddhisattvas? lol I'll leave that for someone else to post and put all your backs up!
    pegembara said:

Hey wait a minute. Who is this I who is subjected to all these things?

Well, if you don't know, I certainly don't. :p
  • I'm going to Burma to get my passport stamped and I ran over and killed a kitty today on the motorbike. Came out of nowhere running full tilt right into my wheel. Neither of us had a chance to prevent it.
    Life.
    It happens.
    :(

The other day I was cycling, very slowly when I came across two dogs. They looked mature. The path was wide, I cycled in front of the more mature dog and he obliviously choose the moment to run under my wheel. I braked. He yelped and was unhurt.

It happens. If I cycled any slower around tourists taking pics, toddlers with minds of their own and people distracted by life the universe and everything . . . I would be walking.

However on the road, I go a little faster.
    robotcvalueanataman
  • robot said:

I'm going to Burma to get my passport stamped and I ran over and killed a kitty today on the motorbike. Came out of nowhere running full tilt right into my wheel. Neither of us had a chance to prevent it.

Tragic, but at least be happy you're safe. Many times the bike may 'skid' if it runs over cats or dogs - the driver could get into bigger trouble as a result. It's happened to many people, myself included.
    robot
    lobster said:

The path was wide, I cycled in front of the more mature dog and he obliviously choose the moment to run under my wheel. I braked. He yelped and was unhurt.

I hope you wear a cycle helmet. ;)
    I keep coming back to this poem, to check whether I am seeing my bad habits, and doing something about them. It's so easy to slip back into them; trod in the same hole again today! Definitely going to try not to tomorrow.
    lobster
    robot said:

I have a cousin who is a Spiny Dogfish. His nickname is "Tiny Norman", though he's quite big actually. ;)

• federica said:

@Frozen_Paratrooper

I'm FP

No you're not. That's a name you give yourself. A label. Just like your real name. But it's not 'who' you are.
    and I'm going to work.
    No, that's another label. It's something you do to occupy your time and put food on the table, but it's not 'where you're going'....
    Life's greatest question answered. No need to complicate matters. ;)
    Evading the question or giving a flippant answer does not answer the question.

Just say, "I don't know."

It's perfectly ok to not know.

I think FP does know. I'll follow his example and go to work too.
  • Who are you? Where are you going?
    Nobody? Nowhere?

Steady now . . . we can find wisdom and bad life examples everywhere . . . Some have limited life options . . . some good jobs . . . some born to dharma practitioners . . . some pointing to themselves . . .

OM MANI PEME HUM
    anataman
  • robot said:

I have a cousin who is a Spiny Dogfish. His nickname is "Tiny Norman", though he's quite big actually. ;)
    Did he look like this?
    Sorry, I might have killed him. But if it makes you feel better, you might have eaten him last time you had fish and chips.
    Right. You are a vegetarian. My bad.