Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Questions about Buddhism from the eyes of a skeptic

2»

Comments

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    footiam said:

I don't understand how a car works but I drive one anyway.

I do understand how a car works but I don't drive one. ;)
  • cvaluecvalue Veteran
    edited February 2014
    IMHO, in order to understand Buddhist's Karma fully, we must assume that rebirth exists and work from this assumption because the main idea in Buddhism is not God will but Karma.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I don't know if I'd say Karma is the main idea in Buddhism. I'd consider the 4NT the main idea of Buddhism. Of course, when you go into it Karma becomes part of that. But one can most certainly understand and practice the 4NT and N8FP without being too concerned with the practicalities of rebirth. Plus, even exactly what rebirth is and how it works is up for debate depending on the teacher. As with many things, some take a less literal approach than others.
    vinlynYik_Yis_Yii
  • Recently I put down all books and just try to make my brain works a little bit. I thought of Gautama Buddha's life. He was handsome, healthy, rich. He had fame, power, beautiful wife, loving family... He was the happiest person at that time. And he abandoned all because he recognized all that was just temporary, he would have to die.

He wouldn't want to leave his lifestyle and palace to search for an end of sufferings of his current life? He had a happy life. He did not suffer. He just realized the vicious birth and dead cycles and wanted to end it. Birth and dead cycles are theory of rebirth.

In other religions, God's will is used to explain everything that happen to people. In Buddhism, it's Karma.

Karma and Rebirth are in the center of Buddhism. Buddhists from the West want to dismiss that and just peeled only a piece in the outer which is fine. But I think Buddhism is much richer than just the 4NT and N8FP. And IMHO, it's worth to dig deeper if one has time.
    It certainly is, but not everyone is there yet, and that's ok. It's quite a long path, to take lifetimes (usually) to compete, and we are all at different places of learning and acceptance along that path. One cannot dig deeper until they are ready for that point. You have to get a shovel and hold it before you put it to the ground. Takes much longer time, effort and experience to dig a well.

Karma isn't always used to explain *everything* that happens to you, depending on how it is viewed and taught. If it is taught solely as Karma is simply the result of action, then yes. But not everyone views it that way. Just like some people view rebirth as your continuing your energy when you compost into soil and something else grows as a result, whereas others believe in something different. Which is why I personally have a problem saying they are the core of Buddhism, because it totally depends on how you view it and how your teacher teaches it.

cvalue
  • While I went out for a walk just now, I thought about The Buddha again, and I am thankful that he believed in the rebirth cycle. Because if he didn't, if he thought he had only one life and it was really good, even though it was temporary, he would feel depressed but he would continue to live as he was. Believing in the rebirth cycle gave him strong motivation to set out on his quest and the result of it is what we enjoy now the 4NT and N8FP.

I know Buddhism is deep and since I am a lazy Buddhist, I haven't learnt much either. I just picked my favorite piece too but from a different corner. LOL.
    karastiJeffrey
    I, too, believe in rebirth. I'm not 100% sure on what I believe it means, but I left Christianity at a young age because the whole "one and done, and live for eternity somewhere based on your behavior" totally did not work for me. I have not spent too much time trying to reconcile my exact beliefs because I am focused on other things,and at this point in my practice it doesn't matter to me the details. I try more to concentrate on what I am doing on a daily basis and figure the rest works out in the end (or the not-end, lol).
    cvalue
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    I think I find Buddhist theory's to be convenient aids of viewpoint on the path towards suffering's cessation.
    While I have had the opportunity to experience evidence that parts of them are true somewhere, my meditation practice requires no such belief.
    Allowing for their possibility is simply a practical structure to assist one on the path in much the same way that the precepts can.

Lii
  • LiiLii Explorer
    how said:

I think I find Buddhist theory's to be convenient aids of viewpoint on the path towards suffering's cessation.
    While I have had the opportunity to experience evidence that parts of them are true somewhere, my meditation practice requires no such belief.
    Allowing for their possibility is simply a practical structure to assist one on the path in much the same way that the precepts can.

And somewhere in the meditation process we have an opportunity to change our mind and recognize causes on Karm so that we can make their absence part of our future meditations.