Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Attachment to Family / Pets

BunksBunks Australia Veteran
edited February 2014 in Buddhism Basics
@genkaku's post "Dear God" got me thinking about my pets growing up and family in general.

It seems weird but when i think about my parents or one of my siblings dying I don't feel any sadness. Never have. While I enjoy their company (they're nice enough people), I have no strong emotional attachment to them.

Also, we always had dogs when I was growing up. I enjoyed playing with them but, to be honest, I never really cared when they died.

Am I a freak?

On the other hand, if I lost my wife or kids I would be devastated!

Comments

• How do you know? You only think about it. It's only when it hits then you will really feel. That's my experience with my little nephew, I rarely see him, but I was surprised at my emotion when I heard he was in danger of losing his life. My nephew is fine now. It's me that is not fine after I find out about how I feel! lol.
    Jainarayan
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    That's a good point @cvalue! Thank you.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I am quite close to my parents, and even though they are in excellent health and not old (58 and 62) I think as I've grown up knowing they would always die, I am more prepared for that. I would miss them terribly but it would not be devastating. I mostly feel the same about my closest friends and even my sister. Somehow, that understanding about death seems easier to apply. pets as well, while it is sad when they die, it is just part of life. I think with kids especially, we feel it's our job to keep them safe and alive, no matter what comes from life, and I think that makes it harder. Even when we understand death comes to even children, I think we parents we feel like we have to do all we can no matter how unreasonable it might seem, to prevent it because we are here to protect our kids. Even with my husband, i love him dearly. He is my best friend and I would miss him horribly if he died. But I think I would be ok. But the idea of perhaps my entire family dying is more than I can consider even though it happens every day to people. I don't know how they get along.

But at the same time, it almost is harder to imagine going through decades of life with my husband, our children moving out and moving on with their own lives, and then when we are old, having him die. I imagine in some way as you age you come to terms with everything but the thought of building and spending a life with someone to have them die seems very hard. Yet, older people I know (neighbors, grandparents) seem to accept it pretty well and mostly seem to get on with life better than most. Either that, or they die very shortly following their spouse.

They say losing a child is the worst pain one can imagine, and I believe that, and I think a lot of that comes in our belief that we are here to protect our children at all costs. How many days I've sat next to sick children wishing I could be sick for them. I'd give my life to save them without a question. And if something happens to them despite that need to protect them, it makes us feel as if we failed, and I think on some level we know having to live with *that* pain might be just as bad as losing them.

But at the same time, knowing my feelings about them does help me expand my compassion in ways I would find harder (though obviously I cannot imagine life without kids since I have them) without them. It is easier to look at "horrible" people and realize there were once cute little kids with the whole world in front of them, who maybe didn't have a parent to kiss away the night mares, and so on.
    Bunksjae
    Wise words as always @karasti.

My beautiful little girl is 4 in 2 days time.

Not sure if you know about Madeliene McCann? She was taken from her holiday apartment 9 days before she turned 4.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Madeleine_McCann

Every time I think about that it breaks my heart! I have been thinking about it a lot given the age similarities between her and my little girl.

What her parents are going through makes me want to cry.......those poor people.
    I know exactly what you mean, I've followed updates on Madeliene's story. My oldest son was born in Dec 23, 1996 - 2 days before JonBenet Ramsey (famous unsolved child murder case here in US) was killed. I was still in the hospital when her case was all over the news. It's a very odd connection you end up with indeed. Every time my son has a birthday I think about what she'd be like today.
    karasti said:

I know exactly what you mean, I've followed updates on Madeliene's story. My oldest son was born in Dec 23, 1996 - 2 days before JonBenet Ramsey (famous unsolved child murder case here in US) was killed. I was still in the hospital when her case was all over the news. It's a very odd connection you end up with indeed. Every time my son has a birthday I think about what she'd be like today.

Yes! I remember that. My wife and I (somewhat morbidly) went and looked at her house in Boulder some years ago when we were in the States. Very sad.
    Then we have crossed paths :) My sister lived in Boulder for several years and I made a point to walk past there as well back in...2001 I believe....when I visited.

I can't imagine enduring what that family has had to. Not only losing their child but being accused of killing her or knowing what happened as well. It would be very difficult to move on without answers.
  • Bunks said:

@genkaku's post "Dear God" got me thinking about my pets growing up and family in general.

It seems weird but when i think about my parents or one of my siblings dying I don't feel any sadness. Never have. While I enjoy their company (they're nice enough people), I have no strong emotional attachment to them.

Also, we always had dogs when I was growing up. I enjoyed playing with them but, to be honest, I never really cared when they died.

Am I a freak?

On the other hand, if I lost my wife or kids I would be devastated!

Maybe, it is the quality time one spends with each other that makes the differences. That does not make one a freak.