Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Simple living

RodrigoRodrigo São Paulo, Brazil Veteran
edited March 2014 in Diet & Habits
One of the changes I noticed after studying and practicing Buddhism was a shift towards a simpler way of life. In general, I'm less inclined to buy things I don't need and more inclined to cherish what I already have. I donated a lot of stuff, including clothes and electronics. What's left are things that I really use. I'm also more appreciative of the present moment and ordinary events of life. I feel that I don't need to much to be happy. Have any of you experienced a similar change after engaging in Buddhism?
BhikkhuJayasaraBunksInvincible_summersovafootiam

Comments

• yagryagr Veteran
    genkaku said:

Perhaps not exactly on topic, but one of the things I noticed was that as the greed and attachment seemed to diminish, the more apparent the remaining greed and attachment became.

I'm not certain, from my perspective, that this could be any more on topic.
    sova
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Yes, what genkaku said. It is easy to part with things you determine you do not need, and I don't think that's a bad thing at all! But the few things we tend to insist we need and we are most attached to, we don't get rid of when perhaps they are the most important things to get rid of. I think about that quite often. Or perhaps not necessarily to physically get rid of the item but lessen our attachment to them much more. It is like a breath of relief to do that. When you close the computer, put down a book, shut off your favorite tv program and so on.
    Rodrigosova
  • Yes indeed.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_living
    It seems quite natural and as mentioned surprisingly enriching.
  • DharmaMcBumDharmaMcBum Spacebus Wheelman York, UK Veteran
    I found the ideas of simple living first before really getting in about Buddhism. The two seem to encourage each other though through the habits, views and attitudes built up by them. The problem I found was getting the other folks in my life to live simply also.
    lobsterBunks
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited March 2014
    I was never huge on massing consumer goods in the first place, so Buddhism never changed any of that for me. But it has made me more open to living away from the city. Inflated housing costs in this city help that too.
    Rodrigo
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    @Invincible_summer
    I have a 115 year old house in a smaller than normal lot on the cheapest side of that same city. Our latest property assessment is $150,000 more than it was last year.
    The housing costs are crazy.
    Invincible_summer
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Rodrigo: I am buddhist but I'm a chick. We women help boost the economy, haven't you heard? I still indulge in retail therapy, but mostly directed at books on buddhism, oriental antiques and feng shui accoutrements.
    It's true that as I tread the buddhist path, I need a lot less. And money will NEVER buy the things I cherish the most: my son's laughter and inner peace.

sovaRodrigommo