Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

No Sympathy for the Devil....

Several news outlets are reporting that Fred Phelps is on his deathbed... I've read many comments here and there about (how we should be) "forgiving him", and how God will be forgiving him ... ETC.
Well, this is my take on his eventual demise:

**When Fred Phelps (Founder/Pastor, Westboro Baptist Church of Hate and Bigotry) finally dies... the world will be a much better place. Hopefully, the remaining Phelps family who have chosen NOT to escape their evil, incestuous, racist & bigoted, black-hearted clan, will also die off - sooner than later. Each one's passing only adds to the Earth's benefit. Not sorry to see any of them go.

I feel no guilt because I've not wished him dead, nor caused his death; he is simply old, feeble and dying... and so without glee, yet without shame, I lift my glass to Fred's death.... DIE, you hateful bastard, die.**

betaboyTheEccentric

Comments

• NeleNele Veteran

By extending your boiling hate for this man to his family, aren't you guilty of the same thing he is, i.e. hating people you don't even know, for some way or condition they are? Try to detach from these poisonous emotions and just feel sad that the world housed one such as him, and happy that it soon no longer will. Pertinent lojong slogan: practice reproach.

Kundo
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran

Do what you feel is right.

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited March 2014

@Yik_Yis_Yii said:

I feel no guilt because I've not wished him dead...

Are you sure about that?

I lift my glass to Fred's death.... DIE, you hateful bastard, die.

Despite all the hate and intolerance he preached, I feel like people like Fred Phelps do have a genuine concern for humanity - they just don't have the wisdom to direct it in the right way.

person
  • Hate and disgust /disapproval are two distinct things.
    I don't hate them- but they do disgust me. I'm basically indifferent to his death. As I said, I didn't wish him dead or cause him to die. He's old, his death is imminent and inevitable.

The remaining WBC members are hateful, nasty racists and disrespectful of other humans; not merely in thoughts or words, but in deeds as well. They hoist misery upon people at every opportunity.
    Since I don't believe in God, or Hell, I'm not counting on that for Phelps' ultimate punishment.
    I do believe in Karma though.
    I have a feeling Phelps' next _several lifetimes _will be filled with misery.
    Then again, maybe not. No way to know for sure.

betaboyTheEccentric
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

@yik_yis_yii attitude and posture is important in buddhism. Sit like a buddha and see your hatred and aversion, that is a much more positive attitude and the right one. I am only just coming to see how useful this approach is.

mettha

• RodrigoRodrigo São Paulo, Brazil Veteran

A good opportunity for metta meditation.

karastiKundo
  • @fivebells said:
    Who benefits from your hostility?

No one benefits, and aside from some of you possibly getting upset by my words and opinions about this, no one is "harmed" either. If none of you get upset about my perspective - which of course is allowed to be 'different' than yours or anyone's, isn't it? - then perhaps no one is harmed at all.

• I lift my glass to Fred's death.... DIE, you hateful bastard, die

Really?
    I am ashamed for you. Just as I am ashamed for him. He had a similar sort of attitude.

_May he die in the peace he denied others passing. _

VastmindpersonCittaKundo
  • He may very well die in peace. He may feel justified, he may feel he's on the stairway to heaven to sit at God's right hand... he may breathe his last breath with unwavering conviction he's been a "good man" and a "righteous soul".

But that doesn't make it true, and doesn't change the reality of his existence and the ramifications of his actions towards others.
    I am merely anticipating the sigh of relief the Earth will sigh once he's crossed to whatever realm awaits him.
    There is no hate in that, there is no boiling hostility.

I/we have no control over his otherworldly fate... whether I/we pray for him, or I/we expect god to forgive him, or even if I/we raise a glass in appreciation of his moving on to the other side... it doesn't matter.
    I'm only looking at the end result of that move. In my Opinion, it will be "better" than before he left. More observation than real hostility.

Many of you are judging me by reading my words and assuming things not there. Reread the original posting. Leave out those assumptions.

This discussion has been closed.