Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

"Sayings and Quotes" Thread.

CheChe Veteran
edited May 2014 in Arts & Writings

The previous Sayings thread had become too low in the water because of its size, water was lapping at the gunwales so I will break a bottle of bubbly (non alcoholic of course) over the bow of the good ship Other Sayings and slide her down the slipway into the clear,
still waters of the forum.
May God bless her and all who sail in her. Heartfelt thanks for the contributions to the previous thread.

MODERATOR NOTE:
Combined with quotes thread begun by @MeisterBob.

If it's a saying, it may not have an author, or a definite confirmed provenance.

If however, you choose to quote a saying or passage, by a specific author, that author and its source, (book, article, website) should please be given credit.

Comments

• CheChe Veteran

“Cry. Forgive. Learn. Move on. Let your tears water the seeds of your future happiness.”

Steve Maraboli

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Kia Ora,

"A person’s mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”

Metta Shoshin :)

BuddhadragonChe
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

A persons dimensions, once stretched by the mind, never regains its original ideas...

ShoshinBuddhadragonCheperson
  • CittaCitta Veteran

Save the whales...try for a complete set.

Cheanataman
  • CittaCitta Veteran

" A formula for success..rise early, work hard, strike oil..." John Paul Getty.

Che
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited May 2014

" Time stays. We go " H.L.Mencken.

BuddhadragonChemmo
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2014

It’s not all that helpful to just listen to and develop some kind of understanding about the dharma. What we really need to do is join the dharma with our own being, until the dharma and the individual who is practicing it are no longer separate from each other.

~the Karmapa

federicaChe
  • MeisterBobMeisterBob Mindful Agnathiest CT , USA Veteran

"Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves." Henry David Thoreau

CheJeffrey
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

It is best to learn wisdom by the experience of others.

Latin Proverb

. . . a chance for our Latin scholars to tell us the original . . .

ShoshinCheJeffrey

Kia Ora,

Holding resentment is like taking poison and waiting for the other person to die
    _

CheJeffreyperson
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Being Angry is like picking up a burning coal to throw at someone - you burn yourself first, and more seriously....

CheJeffreyanataman

"However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them?”

Probably not Buddha but still a great "quote" so to speak...

CheInvincible_summer
  • CittaCitta Veteran

" Never oil a camera "....my Uncle John, circa 1960.

CheBunks
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

And he was right.

• CittaCitta Veteran

He was .

I believe it was a hard won insight involving a new camera, a squeaky wind-on mechanism, and a can of Three-In-One oil.

Che

Uh-oh....I bet he said "Oh Fu....jica....."

CittaChe
  • yagryagr Veteran

Better to never start; once started, better finish. - The Way of the Peaceful Warrior.

Cheanataman
  • CheChe Veteran

"Each morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most"
    Buddha

federicaInvincible_summer
    edited May 2014

Well there's a "sayings' thread but I don't feel right about putting quotes in it . Figured I'd start a thread just for quotes instead. I'll go first...duh! lol! Here's one of my favorite Jon Kabot-Zinn quotes:

"Perhaps the most "spiritual" thing any of us can do is simply to look through our own eyes, see with eyes of wholeness, and act with integrity and kindness."

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

"Being a slave to our concerns is like being in debt to them. When we're in debt, we have no real freedom in our hearts. The more we pay off our debts, the more lighthearted we'll feel. In the same way, if we can let go of our various worries and cares, peace will arise in our hearts." -- Ajaan Lee

Che
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

One of my favorites is by Clare Booth Luce. Indeed I have it on a rubber stamp that I picked up in a monastery store in Moncks Corner, SC. The Luce family gave their land down there to Trappist monks (Mepkin Abbey) in the early days of the last century:

"Censorship, like charity, should begin at home; but, unlike charity, it should end there."

Kia Ora,

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away."

Maya Angelou

Metta Shoshin:)

Buddhadragonlobster

These are sayings.

Quotes would involve a paragraph, and maybe an indication of why that passage resonates.
    I'm inclined to combine the threads.

If you'd like a 'quotes' thread (And I see no objection) really, it should be distinctly different to the 'sayings' thread.

edited May 2014

@federica said:
    These are sayings.

Quotes would involve a paragraph, and maybe an indication of why that passage resonates.
    I'm inclined to combine the threads.

If you'd like a 'quotes' thread (And I see no objection) really, it should be distinctly different to the 'sayings' thread.

Hmmmm... I don't know abut that. I don't see the relevance of length. Your distinction of saying and quote differs from mine.
    To me a quote is a remark that a person has stated- often not so well known. It's author is known and it needs to be quoted. Whereas with a saying while you do not always know who said it, it is a well known short expression that many know and say hence a "saying"
    For instance my JK-Z quote is not well known and so there arent enough people saying it to be a saying. Plus it has a known author so it needs quoting.

edited May 2014

"A human being is a part of the whole called by us universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feeling as something separated from the rest, a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness."
    Albert Einstein

Edited

And here we go: a minor problem, straight away:

The above quotation is a composite. he didn't actually say all this as one piece. It's been mashed together and proposed as a quotation, but it isn't.

THIS may interest you....

edited May 2014

@federica said:
    And here we go: a minor problem, straight away:

The above quotation is a composite. he didn't actually say all this as one piece. It's been mashed together and proposed as a quotation, but it isn't.

THIS may interest you....

Lol, thanks. Has nothing to do with a quotes thread per say though if that is your implication. It would be the same difference under a "sayings" thread. I appreciate the clarification either way. Bob

edited May 2014

My point is, as the case is with "What the Buddha said" quotations, is that authenticity is important. And it's up to the poster to check their source and ensure it's accurate, as much as is humanly possible.

('per SE')

I am also the forum's most irritating and persistent Grammar Nazi'....
    It's a sickness, I assure you....

edited May 2014

"My affliction is my salvation" unknown

sova
  • mmommo Veteran
    edited May 2014

“Man surprised me most about humanity.

Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”

Dalai Lama

"The habit of ignoring our present moments in favor of others yet to come leads directly to a pervasive lack of awareness of the web of life in which we are embedded. This includes a lack of awareness and understanding of our own mind and how it influences our perceptions and our actions. It severely limits our perspective on what it means to be a person and how we are connected to each other and to the world around us. Religion has traditionally been the domain of such fundamental inquiries within a spiritual framework, but mindfulness has little to do with religion, except in the most fundamental meaning of the word, as an attempt to appreciate the deep mystery of being alive and to acknowledge being vitally connected to all that exists."
    Jon Kabot-Zinn

Kia Ora,

"Ones future is just the echo of ones past actions!"

"Not always so."

Shunryu Suzuki

• CittaCitta Veteran

" Enlightenment is ego's ultimate disappointment "

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche.

ShoshinsovaBunks

Meditation is the only intentional, systematic human activity which at bottom is about not trying to improve yourself or get anywhere else, but simply to realize where you already are. Perhaps its value lies precisely in this. Maybe we all need to do one thing in our lives simply for its own sake.
    Jon Kabot_Zinn

• CheChe Veteran

"Never too soon to learn the Dharma. Never too late to practise the Dharma"

Stonepeace

CittaMeisterBob

“You must unlearn what you have learned.” Yoda

• Dang! Bob beat me to the Yoda quote...

But here's another...

"Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering."

MeisterBob

@DharmaCloud said:
    Dang! Bob beat me to the Yoda quote...

But here's another...

"Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering."

I like that one too. They can be rather insightful. Bob

Kia Ora,

On worry

"Some of your hurts you have cured,
    And the sharpest you still have survived,
    But what torments of grief you endured,
    From the evil which never arrived !"

R.W. Emerson

"Some people drain into their bodies the diseased thoughts of their minds!"

Metta Shoshin:)

Chelobster
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited June 2014

“There's no I in denial”

― Peter Serafinowicz

Che
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Helen Keller

CheCittaJeffrey
  • CheChe Veteran

"This world is your best teacher,
    There is a lesson in everything,
    There is a lesson in each experience,
    Learn it and become wise"
    Swami Sivananda

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

"Looking at objects, there are no objects:
    they are seen to be mind.
    Looking at mind, there is no mind:

it is empty of essence.
    Looking at both liberates dualistic
    clinging in its own ground.

May we realize luminosity,
    the true nature of mind."

From the "Mahamudra Aspiration Prayer" by the third Gyalwang Karmapa, Rangjung Dorje.

Che