Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dealing with constipation.

Do you suffer from constipation? How do you deal with it?

Comments

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

Laxatives. Though that method really gives me the shits.

lobstermmo

Seriously though - if you don't want to add more fibre to your diet with cereals and grains etc. Try a fibre supplement like Metamucil, Benefiber etc.

Hope that helps.

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

My daughter has had chronic constipation since she started on solids four years ago so I'm your man!!!

Have you tried Actilax?

http://www.myvmc.com/drugs/actilax/

She also takes drops or a powder that are very, very strong and we use them sparingly.

I can find out what they are if you need any more information?

Kundo
  • yagryagr Veteran

I'm sorry; I really, truly thought I was going to open this thread and find that you were asking about constipation of the mind. THAT I know something about. This one - can't help you.

BuddhadragonKundo
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

I'd stay clear of laxatives as much as possible, because once you begin on them, you intestines can't work again on their own.
    A diet rich in vegetables, fruit and whole-flour breads or brown rice and plenty of water should help.
    At least three mugs of green tea a day also help move that tract.

Citta
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited May 2014

Water or other fluids and fruit and veg in diet. Yoga exercise for mild cases. A technique I don't use but recommended by a friends Italian granny, orange peeled and eaten segment by segment no spitting out pith, peel it off (mindfully if Buddhistically constipated) before retiring. Muesli or porridge with raisins for breakfast or beans on toast should keep you regular. Like Dharma, prevention is better than cure . . .

http://www.artofliving.org/yoga/health-and-wellness/yoga-to-relieve-constipation

Be aware that medication, excessive meditation and stress/change can lead to constipation.

**Om Bekanze Bekanze Mahabekanze Radza Samudgate Soha

• CittaCitta Veteran
    edited May 2014

If you have not had a medical work-up its a good idea to schedule one.

The majority of people will benefit from increased fibre in their diet but there are a few conditions that increased fibre makes worse.

You might want to rule those conditions out.

Having said that I am aware that America's lack of public health provision which is free at the point of delivery means that it could be costly for citizens of the US.

• gracklegrackle Veteran

I begin each day with a bowl of oatmeal and a grapefruit. I add turmeric and black pepper to the oatmeal. I peel the grapefruit but don't remove all the pith. Plus one large cup of plain coffee. The other old farts I know suffer from a laxative habit.

Kundo
  • jlljll Veteran

Thanks for all the suggestions.
    Thanks for showing constipation, ooops I mean compassion
    for my constipation.

lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Salt-brine pickles (see vegan diet thread) has "cured" any intestinal upsets I ha.

I recently suffered from a 'runny tummy' but have been gaily eating salt-brine preserved pickles all weekend, and I discover my system is perfectly accustomed now. Very finely balanced, and no problem.
    I also made some cottage cheese and drinking a small glass of the residual whey is very beneficial too....

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

@grackle said:
    I begin each day with a bowl of oatmeal and a grapefruit. I add turmeric and black pepper to the oatmeal. I peel the grapefruit but don't remove all the pith. Plus one large cup of plain coffee. The other old farts I know suffer from a laxative habit.

If one chooses to go the grapefruit route, check first to see that you aren't taking any medications where grapefruits are contraindicated.

person
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Figuring out the root cause is usually the key to finding the correct solution. Is it happening because of a low fiber diet? not enough fluids? Are you on medication with a side effect of constipation? Are you sedentary?

If it is chronic or happens more than every so often, talk to a doctor. Seriously. My grandma spent several years stuck in a cycle of constipation and diarrhea that she treated with metamucil, laxatives and anti-diarrheals and as a result of her doing that without seeing the doctor, she now has a colostomy. She developed diverticulitis that was not diagnosed or treated. If she had seen the doctor, they could have treated her without the extremely invasive colonoscopy that she had to have to remove a bunch of horribly impacted poop, and then the colostomy bag she has to deal with now. If you are unfamiliar with that, the bottom part of her colon was so damaged by her own self treatment that they had to cut a hole in her intestine and her abdomen and she now wears a plastic bag that sticks to her skin over the hole, and her poop oozes through that hole into a bag that she has to empty multiple times a day. So, yeah, you don't want to treat chronic digestive issues on your own.

personJeffreylobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

For a more natural method how about watching a scary movie? This climbing a radio mast youtube works for me . . . If you are a climber maybe something else will help you shit yourself . . . :hair: . . .

karastipersonKundooverthecuckoosnest
  • CittaCitta Veteran

@vinlyn said:

Including many medicines for hypertension..( high blood pressure ).

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

@Citta said:
    Including many medicines for hypertension..( high blood pressure ).

And some for heart issues.

Kundo
  • CittaCitta Veteran

Yup.

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

Stool softeners.

Laxatives can create another problem.... Screaming hemorrhoids. .. :rarr: ..

• gracklegrackle Veteran

@Vinlyn. I am on no medications where grapefruit is an issue. But thank you for the heads up.

• namarupanamarupa Veteran

A good amount of any tangy fruit will do the trick. :)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

as will a good quantity of tomatoes.

I find raw plum tomatoes particularly effective....

Kundo
  • ToshTosh Veteran

Exercise helps keep me regular. If I don't run for a few days I end up constipated. If I exercise regularly, I'm fine.

zombiegirllobster
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

Mirolax is an osmotic laxative that is appropriate for chronic use. Some laxatives are not for chronic use and you can get addicted to them.

Grape tomatoes
    Raisins
    Prune Juice
    Exercise.

lobster

@federica said:
    as will a good quantity of tomatoes.

I find raw plum tomatoes particularly effective....

I didn't know that - I LOVE tomatoes.

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

It is really going to depend on how severe this is.

As others have said, speak to your doctor if it's really an issue!

In the case of my daughter, we tried all the soft ones but with no luck.

We had to weigh up a possible "addiction" to strong laxatives against possible permanent damage to her colon.

The laxatives won..... ;)

• NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran

@jll said:
    Do you suffer from constipation? How do you deal with it?

Include some 'oily' meals in your diet : fat milk , yoghurt, sour pork or beef soup ( search borsch recepies ), salad with olive oil. Also don't forget to drink lots of water and eat some fruits or vegetables.
    As for laxatives... I recommend them when diet can't solve the problem. A pill of Bisacodyl will clean the s*it out of ya ' .

• edited May 2014

My breakfast- 1/3 cup Bran Buds, Greek yogurt, berries (blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, etc.). Doing the trick for many years going- and I do mean going.

Kundolobster