Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Feeling the need to cry when reading Buddhist quotes or books?

Is this normal? I find that when I read something that rings true I feel a well of emotion come up and it's hard to control. I was reading quotes from Thich Nhat Hanh this morning on my commuter bus and almost couldn't control my tears. Does anyone else get this?

federicaanatamanpegembaraEarthninjapoptart

Comments

• MeisterBobMeisterBob Mindful Agnathiest CT , USA Veteran
    edited May 2014

I get it listening to certain parts of Zinns "Where ever you go there you are." I just let the feeling be.Seems normal enough to me. ... :) ... Joy felt tears ...

• ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran

Something similar happened to me in the beginning thinking about the compassion of the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas.

• karmatibkarmatib Explorer
    edited May 2014

I know I shouldn't need validation by others but I do feel better knowing that I am not the only one. It is amazing to me that words can have such a powerful effect. Now that I think about it, Walt Whitman's "Oh me! Oh life!" has a similar effect.
    Love Jon Kabat-Zinn BTW. He is the person who started me on my meditation path.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited May 2014

Sure.

I can be just overwhelmed by an onion, mantra chanting or as you say the examples, or words of the wise.

Mr Cushion?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

We were driving through Europe on the way down to Italy to stay with my parents, who lived there... my daughter, who must have been around 5 or 6 at the time, was sitting in the back (Yes, securely and safely!) and we were listening to Vivaldi's '4 seasons' on a CD.

At one point she commented,

"This music makes me sad."

She then corrected herself, and said,

"Well, actually, it makes me happy. It just makes my eyes sad...."

I'm happy to relate that she is still the wonderfully articulate and easily-moved creature she was then.

Bless her.

So yeah. It's totally normal.

lobsterVastmindpegembarazombiegirl
  • MeisterBobMeisterBob Mindful Agnathiest CT , USA Veteran

@Daiva said:
    My Buddhist teacher suggests that such incidents are a result of experiencing sincere love and compassion toward oneself, as we confront our own fragility and vulnerability.

Your teacher seems wise! Considering the passages that make me well up it seems spot on for me. Bob

lobsterDaiva
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited May 2014

Once upon a time, a long time ago, at a Zen retreat, I sat down with the other meal servers (those in the zendo had been served) to have lunch.

We began with some ritual chanting. And when we came to one particular line or perhaps one particular word, I broke down in tears. And at PRECISELY the same moment, another meal server sitting across from me was consumed by uncontrollable laughter.

Go figure.

lobsterZenshinDandelionperson
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

One thing I've found is that if you are wanting to ask a "is this normal?" question, the answer is almost always yes, it is :)
    I'm a crier, you never know what'll turn my waterworks on. Sometimes reading a book, a post on FB, seeing something on a youtube video, seeing my kids achieve a goal they set (or not), meditation, yoga, spending time with my teacher. Nothing wrong with a few tears :)

federicalobsterVastmind
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    edited May 2014

I am also a crier! I'm a man, and there was once a time I might have regarded it as a weakness; but it is really a great strength... Being human has certain advantages and disadvantages - one of them is expressing emotion. If something moves you; let it move you and don't be afraid of the consequences, those consequential happenings are something really to be enjoyed - if that means tears then sobeit; note the way I have conjuncted the words... Conjunctivae is the word given to the superficial membrane that normally goes unnoticed and is an expression of the supportive network of arterioles and venues that help support the white of the eye; but when they are inflamed tend to become irritated and tearfulness ensues, and you might see redness.

However, I have to put my daughter to bed right now. So will leave you with whatever comes from this rambling of ramblings...

Metta

DandelionShoshin
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran

I think I used to be a pretty emotionally stunted individual. Probably something in my childhood or whatever, but I hated crying and did everything within my power to suppress the urge. But a big component of Buddhism is empathy and metta, so when I first started practicing, I noticed a tendency to just cry whenever something struck me like this. What unnerved me was that it wasn't when I was sad or mad, like it used to be... I began to cry at beauty and kindness. This really hasn't gone away, but I don't think it's a bad thing. Being touched and acknowledging the positive in the world (sometimes through a quote of goodwill) is just a sign to me that I'm no longer focusing so heavily on the negative.

lobster
  • Yes, yes, yes, very normal :)
    I find myself breaking down during Loving Kindness meditation, from time to time.

@Daiva said:
    My Buddhist teacher suggests that such incidents are a result of experiencing sincere love and compassion toward oneself, as we confront our own fragility and vulnerability. For example, if you have physically injured yourself and are recovering, and you have to show your body kindness by not over exerting yourself during normal activities - recognizing the healing process and showing patience with it.
    We are all in a process of healing in our lives - and allowing ourselves to be present in the moments of healing - brings great emotions.
    Cry on...

^I don't think I could put it any better.

• CittaCitta Veteran

Its all good.

Dont be too cool for school.

Dont think that you have to transcend emotions.

We are a whole..its the whole person that Realises...or nothing.

Feel deeply, breath deeply. let go deeply.

lobsteranataman
  • yup

• footiamfootiam Veteran

@karmatib said:
    Is this normal? I find that when I read something that rings true I feel a well of emotion come up and it's hard to control. I was reading quotes from Thich Nhat Hanh this morning on my commuter bus and almost couldn't control my tears. Does anyone else get this?

Sad movies made people cry too. It must be something that you could identify with and rings true to you.