Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun- crack the code 3

edited May 2014 in General Banter

This puzzle was created by Albert Einstein. It is solvable using logic and deductive reasoning. I solved it (took a while) using post-it notes for each of the facts that I knew.

Let us assume that there are five houses of different colors next to each other on the same road. In each house lives a man of a different nationality. Every man has his favorite drink, his favorite brand of cigarettes, and keeps pets of a particular kind.
The Englishman lives in the red house.
The Swede keeps dogs.
The Dane drinks tea.
The green house is just to the left of the white one.
The owner of the green house drinks coffee.
The Pall Mall smoker keeps birds.
The owner of the yellow house smokes Dunhills.
The man in the center house drinks milk.
The Norwegian lives in the first house.
The Blend smoker has a neighbor who keeps cats.
The man who smokes Blue Masters drinks bier.
The man who keeps horses lives next to the Dunhill smoker.
The German smokes Prince.
The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
The Blend smoker has a neighbor who drinks water.

The question to be answered is: Who keeps fish?

personNirvana

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

Smoking is bad for you.

Earthninja

I think I've got the answer, I'll pm you so to not give anything away.

I enjoyed this one more than the first two. I had to put everything down on paper to keep track like you said, I can't imagine the smarts of someone who could do this all in their head.

Reminds me of this scene

anataman
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2014

Is this 'crack the code' thing, going to turn into a series....?

Toraldrisanataman
  • ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran

@federica‌ Isn't it already? This is number 3...

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

No, this is a three-part drama.... rather like a mini-series. If we're to have a whole season 12-episode run thing, I want adverts, and a fee.

• ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran

I just want less of a headache. I could solve the fish one if I wanted to, but the one with the number sequence, forget it!

• misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited May 2014

i think solved. should i message you or post the answer here - either way you will need to check if the answer is correct or not.

• Can IM me.

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

Fun.

edited May 2014

it has been asked:
    Is this 'crack the code' thing, going to turn into a series....?

Hopefully. I love series-es.

How 'bout a kind of riddle code (just on the side)?

OK. You are locked in a shed with no windows or doors, with a concrete floor and a heavy-gauge tin roof. All that you've got in there with you is a table holding a mirror and a lit candle. How do you get out?

@Nirvana said:
    OK. You are locked in a shed with no windows or doors, with a concrete floor and a heavy-gauge tin roof. All that you've got in there with you is a table holding a mirror and a lit candle. How do you get out?

Easy

1)Break the mirror up into pieces
    2)Set up the pieces in a refracting pattern to intensify the candle flame into an intense laser
    3)Cut a hole through the shed wall with your mighty MacGyver laser... pew... pew

edited May 2014

Look in the mirror, see what you saw, take the saw and cut the table in half. Two halves make a hole... crawl out the hole!

Nirvanapersonanataman
    edited May 2014

@AldrisTorvalds said:
    Look in the mirror, see what you saw, take [out] the saw and cut the table in half. Two halves make a whole... crawl out the hole!

BINGO!

This Einstein Puzzle is readily solvable by charting it. I solved it (took about an hour or so) using graph paper along with a printout of the first post, striking through lines when I was done with them (I blotted them out entirely when I was completely through with the particular tidbits of information.) I ended up with a graph of columns listing each NATIONALITY on the top row, then the second row was (think Verbs): DRINKS, the 3rd: SMOKES, the fourth: KEEPS, and the fifth: LIVES.
    'Twas fun.

@Nirvana Oops I made some mistakes, thanks for fixing them!