Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun- crack the code 2

edited May 2014 in General Banter

What is the next number in this series?

A) 5, B) 14, or C) 21?
If you get the answer, don't reveal the code just yet.

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

I think I am going to post a crack the code that is made up and has no solution hehehe

Earthninja
  • ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran

@Jeffrey Thanks for the warning. This thread here is already giving me a headache, I won't even attempt to solve anything you post. :D  

JeffreyEarthninja
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

The best thing I can crack, at any time, is an egg....

• This is solvable using logic and creative thinking.

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

I say B.

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

I'm going for it! The only problem is that it don't seem like a proper series; there does not appear to be anything logical about the sequence; so I expect the creative thinking is important...

• DandelionDandelion London Veteran

Just a quick question, does the next number come after 81, or 70?

Vastmind
    edited May 2014

Will it come down to a simple word? A 'trick' question?

Answer B fits, and I almost thought it too obvious/easy.

...but that's after 70. so......we'll see... ....

• edited May 2014

Comes after 70. Answer B is incorrect. A "Beginner's Mind" is required.

edited May 2014

It still fits a pattern.

NO wait...0 is an even... back to the drawing board...

This is what I get...hahaha...I need to keep out of stuff I know nothin' about...

edited May 2014

I think I found a pattern with C)

Me too, but I'm not sure it's that easy - I need something solid I can rest my hat on - back to the drawing board...

@anata wanna swap homework? :D

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

You'll be marked down if you do, children....

Dandelion

Shh @Dandelion - there you go we've been caught chatting by the moderator; I'm not sure I'm on the right track at the moment so will have to pass on that for now. I really don't like that image @federica is presenting in her avatar at the moment - she is seriously scary - I liked her better when she was a thin and wispy translucent cloud on a blue clear sky!

Dandelion
  • I'm leaving for a couple of days in the wilderness of Northern MN. Will check in on this when I return.

edited May 2014

My 11 yr old and I have been squeezing our brains over this.

We even got out our Mensa books for number sequence refreshers....

Please let it be hard.....if it's too easy, we'll scream ... hahaha .....

Thanks. It's been nice time together for him and I. .. :) ..

zombiegirlDandelion
  • Dandelion got the answer right (C). Now, figure out how/why.

edited May 2014

OK...I'm now 4 people deep in this. I passed it to 2 co workers in the canteen this afternoon, and we worked on it some. If they get it...I'll gladly give credit where credit is due. It's not 'Buddhist' related is it? ..

@Dandelion ... please put me out of my misery. How did you get C?

• Say the numbers.

• I failed math. Again

ToraldrisVastmindBuddhadragonEarthninja

3, 3, 4, 1 -syllables. well, shit cycles and pop cycles!

Thanks again.....it was fun workout and I'm going to bring 2 brainiacs down to size tomorrow at lunch...lolololol

• Nothing to do with syllables. Sorry.

edited May 2014

.. :banghead: ... you said 'say it' ....

I have never felt like such a dumb ass in my whole life. ( that's what's arising)....

I must leave in order to salvage any self respect.....

My heart sure is good...but my head ain't worth a shit!

• edited May 2014

"You said 'Say it'" Yup- and I still mean it.

• Vastminds- what if they were words instead of numbers?

• misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran

if you are saying the answer is 21, and you are saying to use words, then one logic which i found to justify 21 as the answer is the sequence of number of times t occurs in the words - 1, 2, 1, 0, 1, so it can be followed by a word having 2 t in it, which 21 is having in its words - is this logic correct or not? please tell.

• eighty one
    fifty two
    forty seven
    four
    seventy
    twenty one

edited May 2014

so what is the logic for 21?

• These numbers (words) are in a particular kind of order. One you recognize with words.

still not clear - please explain in detail.

• Numbers are listed in alphabetical order.

Nirvana
    edited May 2014

What !!?? .. :rant: ...

Now I feel like I was hit in the head with a sandal. hahaha

Or rode a roller coaster ...

:dunce: > @lamaramadingdong said:

eighty one
    fifty two
    forty seven
    four
    seventy
    twenty one

oh dear. My pattern was totally wrong then :dunce: lol

@Vastmind said:
    What !!?? .. :rant: ...

Now I feel like I was hit in the head with a sandal. hahaha

Or rode a roller coaster ...

No, that was just my head bashing into yours on that roller coaster. Sorry :eek:

Vastmind
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

Alphabetical order of the numeral arrangements --and we were all looking at numbers.

That's very tricky and a bit naughty, I might add. (but it's just a game.)

So, I'm gonna be nice: On the Planet Kippur-Kippur, where everything's always chipper-chipper, they have 22 seconds in a minute, 66 minutes in an hour, and 44 hours in a day. Their days are about 6.25 earth hours shorter than our days and their years are 22 days shorter than our years. They, like us, arrange their calendar in weeks and months. How long are their months and how long are their weeks?

LOL

• ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran

@lamaramadingdong‌ It's been a while now, almost two weeks in fact, can we be let in on the secret algorithm already? :)

@federica said:

Well that is the answer to the greatest question about life, the universe and everything... but I wanna know how they got 21 as the answer to this damn riddle! :)  

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

Nirvana, is this solvable by 'plug and chug' algebra or is there a trick?

• DaozenDaozen Veteran

The answer could also logically be (a) 5:

81 - a 'square' number (9x9)
    52 - an even number
    47 - a prime number
    4 - a 'square' number (2x2)
    70 - an even number
    5 - a prime number (which 14 and 21 are not).

So now the challenge is, can we find a logical reason for answer (b) 14, thus completely blowing this puzzle wide open :)

Toraldris

Good one - although I made connections with squares evens and primes, I didn't take that small step back and see the overlying relationship.

14 is the sum of the first 3 squares (1,4,9) which themselves are prime even and square, and in relation to the fibbonacci series 14 is the first Keith Number (lol)...

edited June 2014

Oops 1 is not prime!so the answer is something else!

149 is a prime though

@AldrisTorvalds said: >@federica said:

42.>
    >

Well that is the answer to the greatest question about life, the universe and everything... but I wanna know how they got 21 as the answer to this damn riddle!

When you're my height, everything is half-size, so.....

Nirvana
    edited June 2014

Lamaramadingdong gave the answer 0n 28 May already, so what's the fuss?

Jeffrey, mine does not involve algebra, is a little bit of a trick, and has lots of useless information in it to throw one off the track a bit. But let's say, its very regular.

edited June 2014

I prefer the subsequent analysis - its quite revealing to think we get a further analysis that reveals a prime number (149) numerically made of the first 3 square numbers combined in natural number order, and where the number of numbers is 3 which is itself a prime, and above all this the sum of the numbers starts a special form of a Fibonacci sequence!

And all @lamaramadingdong‌ did was put some random numbers in alphabetical order! Was this by chance, fate, luck or design or neither... ... \ lol / ...

• DaozenDaozen Veteran

@Nirvana said:
    Lamaramadingdong gave the answer 0n 28 May already, so what's the fuss?>

He (or she) gave one answer. But as I have shown, there are at least two legitimate answers. That's the fun - or as you say, fuss.

edited June 2014

I'm working on yours at the moment @Nirvana so don't give the game away just yet. Oh I just got it: 4 weeks and 7 days

Daozen said:
    He (or she) gave one answer. But as I have shown, there are at least two legitimate answers. That's the fun - or as you say, fuss.

Don't push Interbeing too far! In such a short series (0f three) you can only see so much of a pattern, but a series of six is more reliable.

As for my silly problem, anataman, I cannot completely follow you. How many months in the Kippur-Kippur year would there be? Remember, this is on a planet where everything's always chipper-chipper. You have to ignore some of the excess information.