Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

World Cup 2014

Comments

• CittaCitta Veteran

Head in hands...soft moaning...England are currently being taken apart by Ecuador in a warm-up ' friendly ' game..

anataman
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

so whut elz iz noo....?

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited June 2014

It's still early in the game... 1 , 0 ( I got an eyeball on it) .. :) ..

Are you yelling enough directions at the TV?

anataman
  • CittaCitta Veteran

That must be it..@Vastmind.........and we've equalised !

anataman
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Ah, sorry, that was my fault. I was tilting our tv towards the Ecuador goal, and.....

hopefully they'll still allow it....

anataman

Is Ecuador going for a foul record, or what? hahaha

Jeopardy question: what's the most amount of fouls made in a game?

with or without feathers?

VastmindKundo

Match ends...2, 2

2 send offs. Good thing it was a 'friendly'....

• CittaCitta Veteran

Well it could have been worse..The England defence continues to be a worry.

anataman
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

This thread is gonna get hot when the world cup gets going proper - I can see it already!

^^^ You sure know what to say! hahaha

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited June 2014

Both Bosnia and Mexico looked good yesterday. I think Bosnia has a really good chance of making it out of the group stage. Mexico will have a harder time, I think. It'll either be them or Cameroon (who held their own against Germany the day before).

Vastmind
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited June 2014

Oxlade Chamberlain's injury is a potentially serious blow.

The young man is a very important part of the England squad.

He will miss the opening game against Italy...At least.

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:
    Footballers are sissies and real men play rugby. :p

That is soo true .. :clap: .. Did I ever mention I love rugbiers?

lobster

You did... lol ...

Anyway, it's a done deal England are going to win the world cup: http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/jun/09/england-win-2014-world-cup-germany-deutsche-bank-analysts

• CittaCitta Veteran

My goodness was that a pig that just flew over the roof...?

Kundolobster

Hang on, I'm just checking my g.a.s. meter under the stairs....

Heeeeeyyyy! We're pumped and primed after that win S Korea warm up... 4, 0

" We want USA !!" See you guys Monday...you know I'll be turned up!!!

• ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

It's way more screwed up than I thought ....

Analysis: Brazil Scrambles to Get Ready as World Cup Looms
    http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/world-cup/analysis-brazil-scrambles-get-ready-world-cup-looms-n127571

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Even though I had kept on on the news, it did not dawn on me until today that Brazil will both inadequately host the FIFA World Cup but the 2016 Olympics. The things they promised for the WC may not even be completed until the Olympics. I should not be surprised, I guess, but the whole thing on some levels is pretty disturbing. The amount of money spent (over $11 billion so far on the WC alone) is just astounding, especially considering WHO has said the problem of world starvation could be solved for less money than that. But we humans love our entertainment, despite the cost. It's quite amazing the lengths we go to to be entertained out of recognizing our own existence.

federicaChazpommesetoranges
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@Chaz said:
    It's way more screwed up than I thought ....

Analysis: Brazil Scrambles to Get Ready as World Cup Looms
    http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/world-cup/analysis-brazil-scrambles-get-ready-world-cup-looms-n127571

Yawn.....another racist article.

Russia will cop the same in 2018.

Qatar is already copping it 8 years away!!

• CittaCitta Veteran

Probably best to leave Qatar out of the discussion for now.

The fact that it is utterly unsuitable as a host is now as obvious as is the corruption that lead to its selection.

Kundo
    edited June 2014

I'm starting to agree with @Bunks ..... I'm feeling like this isn't the place for football talk. ...... That's not a dig at anyone. I respect and don't/can't argue with the cost both human and money for the entertainment.

Just try to remember.....One man's soccer is another man's IPad or IPhone. ( Nope, I don't have them). I think I'll bow out of this thread.... Cheerio!!

Bunks
  • CittaCitta Veteran

You might be right @Vastmind.

I certainly didn't envisage when joining the thread that it would get all political.

Call me Mr Naif.

My comment was a realization on my part, not something meant to be aimed at anyone who enjoys soccer. The same type of stuff is at play in any professional sports, and there are some that I watch, too. One of my very favorite sports to watch is women's gymnastics, and that is one area that encourages young girls to be utterly unhealthy in pursuit of greatness. My husband and I watch baseball 6 months a year. We somewhat follow our (American) football team, despite the insane amounts of drug use and crime that happens amongst the many thugs that run in that league. We all have the things that we enjoy wasting our time with :) Most of them probably have dark sides to them. I just don't follow soccer and don't know a thing about it, so the dark sides to it that have come out were things I was not aware of. We all make choices about those things, and I certainly didn't mean my comment above to reflect on the personality of anyone who is a soccer/football fan.

I do think it's good be aware of those dark sides, just so we can make informed decisions about what we want to support, and how we want to support it. The world is such that you can't do much of anything without supporting things that are considered bad, or might go against our Buddhist beliefs. As I just sit in my spot looking around my house, there are probably dark sides to the laundry basket I have, the vacuum, the lightbulbs, certainly the furniture, definitely the hundreds of dvds and video games we own. We just all have to manage it for ourselves and our families.

Of all the things in the world, I'm not sure that sports are the worst of it. They might not be the best of it, either, but at least it encourages kids to get out and be active versus sitting like slugs and swearing at the tv while playing video games.

Bunks

Can we define the game as 'football' not 'soccer' for the purposes of the next few weeks please. It is a game where people kick the ball as opposed to throwing it around. TUT! Regardless of the negative impact it has on some minds, it can be fun to watch...

Kundo

Fairly predictable first game. A bit of a scare early for Brazil but good enough to put Croatia away in the end.

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@Bunks said:
    Fairly predictable first game. A bit of a scare early for Brazil but good enough to put Croatia away in the end.

I thought Fabio Grosso must have given a few pointers before the game :P ...

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

I'm waiting for american football though I played football/soccer in highschool.

Just summoning the mandala guardians ;)

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Come on you Buddhas! No time to sit around . . . enough with the dukkha. Get out there.

Goal!

BunksKundo

Just watching Spain v Netherlands. It's gunna be a tennis score when they play the Aussies! Two very good teams.

• zenffzenff Veteran

Okay, what can I say about this?
    1-5 against the World-Champions. I just can't believe it. :eek:

Ha ha. How the mighty fall... You're only ever as good as your last game....

Vastmind
    edited June 2014

(runs in the room) ....now, that got me back on the thread....

What in the cleat just happened??

Take that wit cha! .... That's what happened, hahaha

Chile 3 Aussies 1 :(

Second half was good but conceding two goals in the first fourteen mins killed us!

@anataman said:
    Can we define the game as 'football' not 'soccer' for the purposes of the next few weeks please. It is a game where people kick the ball as opposed to throwing it around. TUT! Regardless of the negative impact it has on some minds, it can be fun to watch...

Let's take it a step further @anataman and call it "Association Football" then everyone will know what we're referring to ;b

Let's take it a step even further and call it a situation where 22 adults chase a small inflated object round a field, some of them occasionally writhing on the ground in ways which would be worthy of an oscar-winner, and generally behaving rather childishly, because after all, it's only a game, but one for which they get paid an outrageously high monthly sum which would keep a family fed, watered and housed for a year.

• BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran

Boy those Dutch guys play good football!
    It is (ahem) the country of my birth.

edited June 2014

@federica said:
    Let's take it a step even further and call it a situation where 22 adults chase a small inflated object round a field, some of them occasionally writhing on the ground in ways which would be worthy of an oscar-winner, and generally behaving rather childishly, because after all, it's only a game, but one for which they get paid an outrageously high monthly sum which would keep a family fed, watered and housed for a year.

When I try to logically explain to my husband something in word-in, word-out, the same line as above (the perfect definition of the game, that is), he still calls it "football," and still gets all passionate about it anyway. Either screaming at the top of the lungs, or cursing beyond my son's ears.

It's an aspect of the game I find breathtakingly obscene. The rationale apparently, is that a player is only at 'the top of his game' for a few years, so the money compensates for when they are no longer playing. Yeah, right....try telling Ryan Giggs that. It's BS.
    I remember way-back-when, the 'sale' of Trevor Francis caused an absolute media sensation. First player to ever be sold for £1million. dirt cheap, by today's standards....

Apparently, one big problem that an awful lot of players are experiencing is sky-high gambling debts.... Way to go. Obviously trying to invest their money wisely for when they're too old to play...

I actually think sport can have a really positive effect on a young persons life and also for a community.

With the decline of the church, sporting clubs are often a place people can connect with others and find a sense of belonging.

KundoBuddhadragonChaz
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited June 2014

@Bunks said:
    Chile 3 Aussies 1 :(

Second half was good but conceding two goals in the first fourteen mins killed us!

There were some very unBuddhist words being uttered in my loungeroom :P ...

BuddhadragonBunks
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

@Bunks
    Do you ever examine or question the worth of having a sense of belonging?

lobster
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran

I think Brazil will take this one!

A need to belong is something most people have. It's good to question all things, of course, and to what level we should take things in order to belong, or be accepted/appreciated/connected.
    But in that case, why are any of us here, either? Sangha is about a sense of belonging, in many ways. Being with people of like mind and like way of living to support each other in that endeavor. Just because someone's choice in how they like to live is not the same as ours, should they not be allowed the same sense of inclusion and support as all of us seek? Is Buddhist Sangha better than Soccer Sangha which is better than Math Sangha which is better than Book Club Sangha?

Kundosndymorn
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited June 2014

Costa de Marfil's looking good! So lucky/happy Univision is streaming all the games live!

edited June 2014

@Bunks said:
    I actually think sport can have a really positive effect on a young persons life and also for a community.
    With the decline of the church, sporting clubs are often a place people can connect with others and find a sense of belonging.

We enrolled our son in football training to help him develop team spirit, unselfishness and all those values which you can generally develop through practising a group sport.
    But also because in our village, a child who does not play football, simply does not exist in the social panorama.
    I have taught my son that he should not anguish over the fact of seeking approval and acceptance from others in a self-negating way, but truth is he has been better integrated in school since he plays football, and the feeling of fitting in makes him feel better about himself.

sndymornanataman

It's sad when kids (or others) can't be accepted for who they are without being in sports. It's that way very much here, too. Doesn't really matter which sport, but if they aren't in a sport, they are mostly socially shunned. Which really sucks for kids who are more introverted and creative. My oldest is a year-round athlete. My middle one plays baseball. The younger one is not interested in sports in the least and spends much more time with his nose buried in a journal. I refuse to let him think he's nothing if he doesn't participate in sports.

Anyhow, of the top 100 paid athletes in the world, only 15 of them are soccer players. 30 of them are US baseball players. Most of the top 25 are boxers and basketball players. It's a crazy system, and their salaries are ridiculous. But their salaries are a result of us watching their sports on tv, buying tickets, and buying merchandise. So we as consumers drive the crazy salaries.

Chaz
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Sangha is about a sense of belonging, in many ways.

[Lobster puts on Freddy Mercury voice]
    We are the champions. No time for samsara, coz we are the champions of the dharma . . .

That sort of thing?

I would humbly suggest that a sense of social belonging belongs to our very real social needs. These need fulfilling. Sangha however is not a substitute family or social grouping, though it often has this component.

A friend in the higher sense is someone who pushes us towards the far goal, whilst most of us are still thinking we are the referee . . .

BunksKundoanataman