Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

@Citta said:

>

I passed it with total coolness and unruffled calm and hardly got impatient with my wife at all, and only whined and writhed for the first four hours..

>

Would she concurr? .. :D ..

A kidney stone walks into a bar.
    The bartender says, "What'll you have?"
    The kidney stone says, "No thanks, I'm just passing through."

I did miss the tale the first time around...

Your such a tree brag... :p ....

Citta
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

Preparing for tutoring organic chemistry at Aquinas University. Before, I was thinking of getting through all 13 chapters to get ready, but now I am going to just focus on the starting chapters since those are the ones I need to know for the first meeing with the students assuming I get any. I am a little pessimistic now. But I am going to push on through and finish what I started.

I also contacted MRS which is a job rehabilitation service. Not too exciting but it is a process and I only hope the case worker can understand me and coach me.

lobsterfedericaCittaInvincible_summer
  • CittaCitta Veteran

@Vastmind said:
    Your such a tree brag... :p ....

Well I am sure her memory of the whole episode is ....erm...biased.
    ;)

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Shouted and fumed at the dinner table. My name is C. S. Lobster and I am an angerholic. :o .

My sponsor is keeping an eye on me . . .

Bunks
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Congratulations, grandma and keep us posted!!

lobster
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

I have had three missed calls over the last few nights from someone in North East France!?

Does anyone know the French for "STOP CALLING ME IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT!!!"

;)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Arrêtes de m’appeler pendant le tard de la nuit!!

BunksNirvana
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2014

Leaving aside the obvious contentious insert, I read once,

"A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on".

(I will thank cynics to not demolish the quote).

Congratulations, @Hamsaka.
    Have you managed to foot-trace yet....? ;) .

Beautifully-written post, by the way. Wonderfully expressed.....

edited July 2014

I have applied to my local college to take an OCHS NEBOSH Course.
    All I need to do now is to either try to raise the fee or obtain a grant.
    We're looking at between 1 and 2 grand, here....

When I say 'we', what I mean to say is, if you have a spare grand or two down the back of the sofa... :p .

• howhow Veteran Veteran

Just back from kayak camping where on the last day on the last hour before reaching our take out spot, we were surrounded and passed by one pod of 8 killer whales, followed 5 mins later by another pod of 10. They avoided mowing us down just as they would probably avoid running over a floating log but their passing pod formations could have been contained within a 3 lane freeway with us being smack in the middle.

Now it's time to do the laundry.

Invincible_summerBunkslobsterVastmind
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

@federica said:
    Leaving aside the obvious contentious insert, I read once,

"A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on".

(I will thank cynics to not demolish the quote).

Congratulations, Hamsaka.
    Have you managed to foot-trace yet....? ;) .

Beautifully-written post, by the way. Wonderfully expressed.....

LOL NO Avalon and I didn't get to have our 'little talk', I got a bit too caught up in awe :D They will be by for a week's visit to my place at the end of the month and I just might be able to get her to myself without feeling guilty for hogging her. There were so many people there yesterday just yearning to hold her and that's not including her mama and dada!!

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

Wishes sent. I am reading MRS pdfs for job rehabilitation. If worse comes to worse and I fail I will continue putzing around and studying. I hope you have a great interview. My brother said to me to just answer what you know. On that note I will stop and just make more wishes.

Bunks

@Jeffrey said:
    Wishes sent. I am reading MRS pdfs for job rehabilitation. If worse comes to worse and I fail I will continue putzing around and studying. I hope you have a great interview. My brother said to me to just answer what you know. On that note I will stop and just make more wishes.

Thanks @Jeffrey. Best luck to you also in your endeavours......

• lobsterlobster Veteran

I am trying to keep a lid on my excitement but it's hard not to not get carried away and fantasise that I already have the position!!

I think I need to go sit quietly for a while and calm the breath and mind.

May your fantasy be real, may your calm make your breath real. Everything will be well.

Bunks

Good Luck Bunks. I know what a stinker job hunting can be. Wish you every success, and crossed... mudras for you!

Bunks

Go get 'em Bunks! Wear your lucky underwear, show your knowledge, and put a pep in your step .. :) ..

Bunks
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Best of lucks, @Bunks!! Hubby was in your situation beginning of last year. Took some months, but most important thing is never to lose faith.

Bunks
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Now it's time to do the laundry.

Wax on, wax off.

Believe in whales. Believe in laundry. Which is more mountainous? In the words of Tibetan Ted: Eh Ma Ho

How Wonderful. :clap: .

• lobsterlobster Veteran

My granddaughter Avalon

What a great name for a sacred isle. May she be surrounded by Love. Oh she is. I luvs it when a plan comes together . . .

@Hamsaka .......Ahhhhh.....nothing smells better than a baby!! Cuddle your nose in her neck and get a whiff for me. .. :) ...

Hamsaka

I beg to differ.... cuddle you nose in her bum and you'll think different! :lol: .

VastmindHamsakaBunks

You know that saying, "just when you thought things couldn't get any worse...."...?

...yeah....

Invincible_summer
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

@federica - Obviously you don't need to go into details, but sending kind thoughts your way. Hope things work out in the end.

edited July 2014

Thank you. Support is appreciated. I am not going into detail because of the involvement of others and a legal angle (I'm sorry it's tantalising, but I need to be discreet), suffice to say the phrase 'shit happens' is OK up to a point, but when you find yourself in the direct firing line of an agricultural muck-spreader, it can get a bit much.....

BuddhadragonInvincible_summer

Thoughts are with you @federica‌

That's amazingly good news, Bunks, well done! congratulations to you, I'm sure you'll do very well! Good stuff!

Bunks
    edited July 2014

@federica .... If your looking for buckets of support....you know you got it here.
    It'll turn out ok.....just deal with things the best way you know how. One day at a time.
    When your feeling defeated....head over to any of the gratitude threads and list what's going right .. :) ... We're sitting right with, Aunt Fede.

@Bunks ... Yah !!!!!!! I told you....the underwear do it everytime.. :D ....

Bunks

Good for you!!!!!! And them... :) ... If you have any nursing homes nearby, they like lap blankets as well. Small enough to fit wheel chairs...not full size. Doesn't take much yarn and not much time. I can post measurements if you like. Sorry, I cant read patterns, I just do it. Do you crochet? I never learned to knit.

• ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran
    edited July 2014

@federica, thats awesome, trust me I know that when your homeless colour co-ordination is the last thing on your mind, it gets cold in those shop doorways in winter. My personal tactic was to go and sit in public libraries and get the chair up against a radiator to raise my core temperature during the day.

On a side note my girlfriend sponsored a rescue dog through dog's trust for my birthday. I get a picture and a birthday card from my new friend.

Bunks

@Vastmind said:.... Do you crochet? I never learned to knit.

>

No, I thought about it for a long time, then someone tried to teach me, which is when I found out why I hadn't done more than 'think about it'.... I couldn't be arsed!! :lol: .
    I just can't seem to get my head round it - but my aunt makes some wonderful little things... she made about 60 doilies for a family member who had just had a baby; they soaked them in a sugar solution, and then draped them over glasses, and when they had dried, they'd gone completely stiff and looked like little woven baskets, into which they put pink sugared almonds.... (a BIG tradition in Italy.., Sugared almonds are used as a customary confectionery to celebrate all special events; weddings, anniversaries and birthdays, national/regional holidays....the icing coating is coloured according to the event being celebrated...) They were gifts for those who attended the Christening.... Afterwards, they can be washed, and used as coasters or put under an ornament or vase....

Vastmind
  • edited July 2014

My life has been incredibly busy these days. To be honest, I should be making more room for my practice.
    I still love to come by here to learn from all of you, though. Even if my brain is too worn out from a long day to contribute anything of coherence or value, reading all of your words tugs me in the right direction.

BunksVastmind
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

Nice to hear from you, @overthecuckoosnest. Just listening is perhaps the better way, anyways —whether one's tired or not. After all, it's not eavesdropping that's going on here.

Sometimes I think that too much said on my part gets in the way of what others want to cultivate.

Bunkslobsteroverthecuckoosnest
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

Spent several days at a Trappist monastery recently. Was quite nice.

Invincible_summerlobsterVastmindHamsaka
  • @‌Jason

Having been on several Christian retreats, your account was fascinating. Hopefully you will find the life retreat if going nice too.

Though there are profound differences of expression, methodology and core assumptions in dharma and scripture, commonality exists. Where we meet is compassion/Love, Prayer/contemplation, Peace/Peace.

Details are important. Trappists and devout Christians and people of real faith are our kin, cousins maybe, brothers and sisters even . . .

Bravo! Thanks for sharing . . .

:clap: .

Jason
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

I agree. There are a lot of differences, but also a lot of similarities; and I'm glad that I'm trying to be open to the commonalities and learn from them. It can be hard, though, when the frameworks are so completely different, but I think it's a worthy endeavor. Just as Thomas Merton found positive aspects of Buddhism that helped enhance his relation to his own faith, I'm finding them same with regard to Christianity.

Wonderful article and pictures. What made it all the more beautiful was that in your pictures at least, the weather was idyllic.... and comforting to see how supportive your GF is..... :) .

I probably have West Nile fever (the middle serious one) from mosquito bites. I've always been VERY tasty to fleas and mosquitos, but alas did not get every inch of my body covered in repellent. So far I've had a fever every day for almost a week, up to 102F, and my body feels like I've been sent down Niagra Falls in an uncushioned barrell. It has been present in my area since mid July. All that said, I eat, drink (a LOT of water) and take Ibuprofen. There's nothing more to do. Apparently only one in five people who get West Nile even have noticeable symptoms, with the fever (that apparently can go on for quite some time). Of that 20% who are symptomatic, only a single digit percentage have the neurological infection.

It's pretty much everywhere, on all continents and the season for it in the Northern Hemisphere is from now until early Fall. It really bites (no pun intended. Put on your repellent, fire up your citronella, shut your screen doors, go in when the mosquitos come out!

edited August 2014

.. :hair: ... What in the grey goose??

You take care of yourself! Keep an eye on any additional funny feelings...

Hamsaka
  • bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

Hail Hydra

Hamsaka

I took a nap and my temp is only 99.5F!! (announcer's voice): the lowest it's been in days. It's usually lower in the morning and higher in the evening. Weird, I actually feel . . . OK. Tired low energy and achey but not genuinely 'sick'. We're having a heat wave and yesterday was the hottest day in August so far. I hardly noticed. And the real bonus -- no sweating! Until I took my 400mg of Ibuprofen and dropped a 102F fever. I had sweat dripping from my hair onto my shoulders (eww). In fact it's time to fire up my citronellas . . .

@bookworm said:
    Hail Hydra

Where can I get some of those? I do live in a 'swamp', much dryer in summer, but what open water there is, the ducks have access and eat tons of mosquito larvae. Mosquitoes this year aren't as bad as last, I don't think. I could go to the high school biology lab and beg for some hydras . . .

• bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

@Hamsaka said:
    Where can I get some of those? I do live in a 'swamp', much dryer in summer, but what open water there is, the ducks have access and eat tons of mosquito larvae. Mosquitoes this year aren't as bad as last, I don't think. I could go to the high school biology lab and beg for some hydras . . .

lol I have no idea what you're talking about @Hamsaka, hail hydra is a reference from a movie called captain america winter soldier.

You didn't you know that hydra (the little microscopic water creatures) FEED on mosquito larvae, and are being studied as a means to control mosquito populations?

You were relevant to the conversation and didn't even mean to be :) .

bookwormBunks