Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What does it mean to be a "secular religionist" to you?

2»

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:
    Or some religions have it more wrong than others.

Maybe "and".

• ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran

@SpinyNorman I disagree with a few things no matter which tradition, because they're unsubstantiated, but I'm going to sleep now and it doesn't matter. I'm going Zen so I can tell you later what exactly I accept, what I don't know about, and what I feel comfortable saying are unsubstantiated and unknowable claims... at another date! Good night.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

@AldrisTorvalds said:
    SpinyNorman I disagree with a few things no matter which tradition, because they're unsubstantiated, but I'm going to sleep now and it doesn't matter. I'm going Zen so I can tell you later what exactly I accept, what I don't know about, and what I feel comfortable saying are unsubstantiated and unknowable claims... at another date! Good night.

I don't know about SN, but I look forward to it.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited September 2014

@AldrisTorvalds said:
    SpinyNorman I disagree with a few things no matter which tradition, because they're unsubstantiated, but I'm going to sleep now and it doesn't matter. I'm going Zen so I can tell you later what exactly I accept, what I don't know about, and what I feel comfortable saying are unsubstantiated and unknowable claims... at another date! Good night.

I think Zen might suit you very well. There's something to suit every taste in Buddhism!

( ...as it 'appens, I could lay my hands on a nice Zen shikantaza practice if you're interested, a mate of mine got it for a Christmus present but 'asn't hardly used it, so it's good as new. Still got the guarantee wiv it an' everyfing... )

• ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran
    edited September 2014

@SpinyNorman said:
    ( ...as it 'appens, I could lay my hands on a nice Zen shikantaza practice if you're interested, a mate of mine got it for a Christmus present but 'asn't hardly used it, so it's good as new. Still got the guarantee wiv it an' everyfing... )

I'm still reeling from the fact that I've been practicing Shikantaza for 10 years without knowing it. ;) It'd be nice to have a zafu/zabuton set, but it's not a necessity. If Zazen is really the heart of Zen, the primary practice, then I guess I've been a Zen practitioner this whole time.

@AldrisTorvalds said:
    I'm still reeling from the fact that I've been practicing Shikantaza for 10 years without knowing it. ;) It'd be nice to have a zafu/zabuton set, but it's not a necessity. If Zazen is really the heart of Zen, the primary practice, then I guess I've been a Zen practitioner this whole time.

Yes, you're finally "coming out" as a Zen Buddhist! Hurrah!

Toraldris

I may still be a Secular Zen Buddhist, but I don't suppose that's a big deal in Soto Zen.

@AldrisTorvalds said:
    I may still be a Secular Zen Buddhist, but I don't suppose that's a big deal in Soto Zen.

No, I don't think they care. That's what I was trying to explain over at the secular Buddhist forum.

• DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    edited September 2014

To me, it simply means to adhere to (at least) the philosophy of a faith, maybe perform ritual if one is so inclined. All the while engaging in the secular world and believing that it & religion in general should not mix in any way shape or form.

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@DaftChris said:
    To me, it simply means to adhere to (at least) the philosophy of a faith, maybe perform ritual if one is so inclined.

This pretty much sums up my understanding of secular Buddhism. But then again, I'm not a secular Buddhist so I could be way off target :D ...

_ /\ _