Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What's In A Name ? (Street-Road-Way-Lane-Suburb-Town-City-Etc)

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran
edited September 2014 in General Banter

. :) ..

I live at number 8 Karma Way which is just off of Samsara Road, Naraka (only joking . :D .. No wait... . :scratch: .. Now I come to think of it, it's true except for the Hell Realm suburb that is)

However.....Would living in a street/road/etc etc, with such a names have some long term effect on ones mental well being ?

"Samsara Road, in Bromsgrove, and Karma Way, in Harrow, north London, both use phrases from Indian religions, dealing with concepts of reincarnation and cause and effect, respectively, which have become popular elements of "new age" western thinking.
Then there is Yoga Way, in Sutton, south London"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/7530346/Englands-changing-street-names-goodbye-Acacia-Avenue-welcome-to-Yoga-Way.html

. :om: ..

Comments

• ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran

I don't understand the question.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited September 2014

@AldrisTorvalds said:
    I don't understand the question.

. :om: .. You're not meant too.. . :D ..

It's not all that serious...I was just thinking out loud about what effect (if any) would could living in a place with such a name have ?...Auspicious, an omen good or bad...Some people believe in such things...even some Buddhists...

• ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran

Good. I'm glad it's nonsense, so I don't feel silly. :D  

ShoshinBuddhadragon
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Papañca Avenue is definitely over-populated. :grumble: .

lobsterShoshinBuddhadragon
  • They do have an effect but they are very subtle. For example, when choosing regular routes I often choose them on the basis of significance. The lowest of which is name. A restaurant I regularly pass has removed a public Buddha from its riverside dining area. Hopefully it will return, maybe I will prompt them with a letter or enquiry. I regularly go to a London park because it has a resident monk. Water attracts me.

So in a sense everything can be significant or have meaning but mostly we pass our lives wandering and wondering . . . :wave: .

Buddhadragon
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@lobster said:

I regularly go to a London park because it has a resident monk.

Does he live there too?

• He lives in Battersea Park and looks after the Peace Pagoda . . . here is the entrance to his home . . .

I wouldn't mind that job.

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited September 2014

@Shoshin

What's in a name?

You?

If the human condition has a sirens call, its probably our delight in naming things that really just name us back in response. In such a to and fro, are we not just spiders creating and repairing the webs, which the Buddha called a dream?

Shoshin

Spiders are clever though.

• I live on Cinosam Road. Anyone want to take a quess at what that means?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Masonic. I just got that.
    (I'm constantly doing these 'find the hidden words in this grid' puzzles)....

• Winner, winner, tofu dinner!

@SpinyNorman said:
    Spiders are clever though.

. :coffee: .. Especially Indra's net/ web...

"Imagine a multidimensional spider's web in the early morning covered with dew drops. And every dew drop contains the reflection of all the other dew drops. And, in each reflected dew drop, the reflections of all the other dew drops in that reflection. And so ad infinitum. That is the Buddhist conception of the universe in an image." –Alan Watts