Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What does sangha and dharma mean?

I do not understand

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited October 2014

Sangha generally refers to the community of Buddhist monastics, although some use it to also include the lay-community as well, a person's sangha being the community they practice with. The noble sangha refers to those who have 'practiced well' and have attained one of the four levels of realization, whether lay or ordained.

Dhamma (or Dharma) can refer to two things depending on the context. The first is the teachings of the Buddha recorded in the various collections of discourses. The term also refers to what the teachings are pointing towards, i.e., the laws of nature, the reality of things are they truly are, truth.

Akane
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited October 2014

In my world

The Sangha is anyone who takes refuge in the Buddha & his teachings.

The Dharma is what ever directs us along the Buddhas path towards suffering's cessation.

DairyLama
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited October 2014

@Prayingmantis ,

In a simple sense......In a nutshell...(Depends on the nut in the shell)

Dharma=True Nature of things or "Truth" (The teachings of the Buddha)

Sangha=Like minded people (People who share the same or similar ideals-when it comes to practicing the Dharma)

• I like @Shoshin. The sangha receives the 'taste' of the dharma even if they don't have so and so realization. The taste is that all sense pleasures are in fact empty and come and go. So the taste of the dharma is the fleetingness of experience that can be beautiful at times, but that you lose confidence at times and sometimes feels bad. The taste is letting go. The sangha realizes that taste.