Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I would like to float this pass you... "Levitation.... True or False ?"

13»

Comments

• @Victorious said:

I'm not much of a judge of magicians but I watch quite a few YouTube postings (mostly music and Russian car crash videos). I thought the guys who made the second one didn't try very hard.

• We started with levitation. The video provided is a known stage effect. Not levitation. The person levitating as far as I remember runs a Chinese take away and the whole set up and video is fake. I researched it a while ago as I have an interest in conjuring. It is not up to me to do research or provide authentic alternative design for lama airways. People generate their own fantasies.

Fly or join a conjuring circus but illusions are not dharma, just delusion dramas . . . did you want the truth for yourself or entertainment?

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@lobster said:
    We started with levitation. The video provided is a known stage effect. Not levitation. The person levitating as far as I remember runs a Chinese take away and the whole set up and video is fake. I researched it a while ago as I have an interest in conjuring. It is not up to me to do research or provide authentic alternative design for lama airways. People generate their own fantasies.

Fly or join a conjuring circus but illusions are not dharma, just delusion dramas . . . did you want the truth for yourself or entertainment?

And next you're gonna say there's no Santa...I'm not buying it . :D ..

lobster
  • Some believe that levitation is real. Some believe that God is real. Others believe in pure lands. Many believe that dharma is real. Most of us believe that we are real.
    It comes down to a matter of what level of delusion each choose to subscribe to.
    Who is to judge?
    I'll take the entertainment.

lobster
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

This might be the closes I'll come to levitating....

• Levitation is mental not physical - but physical tricks have been employed to draw parallels so that people may better understand the power of personal mental levitation. Unfortunately this has backfired - people have not understood the parallel.

Hamsaka
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran

@robot said:
    I'm not much of a judge of magicians but I watch quite a few YouTube postings (mostly music and Russian car crash videos). I thought the guys who made the second one didn't try very hard.

I thought that was what made it believable. :) .

The last trick with a eating stick through a table made me pause though.

• I got scammed by an Indonesian batik salesman in Yogyakarta. Helluva nice fellow all the same.

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

@Victorious said:I thought that was what made it believable.

The last trick with a eating stick through a table made me pause though.

Fascinating how differently we (the general we) are impressed. I too thought there wasn't much effort put into the second video, which made it less believable. I got the impression on a couple of his 'points' that they were made half-heartedly. The refutation with the baggies of water and manganese/whatever were one and the other the chopstick through the table. Of course the baggies of water and manganese could have been up his sleeve but DAYAM how dangerous would that be?

• Just watched the Shaolin monk drilling himself. Here is the non chi explanation easily found. Thanks google.
    http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread962424/pg1

I have done some hard body conditioning, I do not recommend it. The monk has done training to harden the body and make it insensitive to pain. His martial skills are not in question.

The ability to control for example the healing capacity of the body by increasing the blood flow and possibly directing more antibodies to specific areas of the body should be investigated. Of course it should.

and now back to the conjuring dharma . . .

• edited October 2014

In the spirit of the Buddha's advice, I'll believe it myself when I experiece it myself. Would be handy for cleaning my gutters though.

DairyLama
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited October 2014

A bit of dark energy would be handy in overcoming gravity. Maybe I can make some in my garden shed. :p .
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_energy

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

What's wrong with everyday ordinary experiences? Why the need to become superhuman or god-like, or be able to put ourselves through such duress.

lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@anataman said:
    What's wrong with everyday ordinary experiences? Why the need to become superhuman or god-like, or be able to put ourselves through such duress.

If you want to see a miracle, here are the 3 steps to follow:

1: Go and see some of the most advanced, technological state-of-the-art laboratory equipment, and technological engineering.
    Understand that this equipment is probably priceless, uninsurable and so hi-tech it even leaves its creators mind-fooked.

2: Know that however grand, and however costly this advanced, technological state-of-the-art laboratory equipment, and technological engineering is, none of it can create a single blade of grass, from scratch.

3: Lie down in a meadow, and study a blade of grass.

VictoriousHamsakaanataman
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:
    A bit of dark energy would be handy in overcoming gravity. Maybe I can make some in my garden shed. :p .
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_energy

If you live in Eureka?

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@anataman said:
    What's wrong with everyday ordinary experiences?

It's get a bit boring at times.
    :p .

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

If life is boring, you're the one doing the boring.
    Not Life.

So my Geography teacher once told me.

God, that subject bored me to tears.

No wonder I think Alaska is in Mid-Africa.....

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

@anataman said:

We humans have become inured to everyday experiences, which are probably anything but ordinary. So I hear from our teachers, anyway. It makes those who go 'beyond' very interesting, even admirable, though like Lamaramadingdong, I'd be interested more in phenomenal house cleaning, yard clearing and maintenance than bending spoons or setting newspaper on fire.

@federica - fermenting sour dough!

@Hamasaka - random gusts of winds!

All of you: people doing things!

@lobster - just being your observant techno self

@anataman - being silent just for another moment - please!

Did you know to hire Dynamo the magician I was asked to bid above £50000 for an hour or something ridiculouses to do some magic at my wifes birthday party - well, I got a guy who did a 3 hour show, for virtually nothing and he blew our guests minds away, and did pretty much the same tricks .

Dynamo, just fyi your agents suck!

• If you levitate it does, if you can't levitate it doesn't.

@Hamsaka - cleaning pots and pans, whilst great lessons in themselves, have an end-point! eternal cleaning - not my idea of fun! but I do get the point of cleaning certain stains and defilements from our mental makeup.

• @robot said:
    Some believe that levitation is real. Some believe that God is real. Others believe in pure lands. Many believe that dharma is real. Most of us believe that we are real.
    It comes down to a matter of what level of delusion each choose to subscribe to.
    Who is to judge?
    I'll take the entertainment.

:) .

I ain't real? Help, I am nobody trapped in a sense of being :D .

People mistake entertaining circus gurus, man and woman charmers for helpers. A flying guru is as much use as a flying duck. Personally I feel we must discern between entertainment, which we crave and the genuine raising or levitation of our wisdom, compassion and transcendence of the need for wonders and entertainment. I feel we mostly know that.

People crave entertainment. In fact they live their life as if it is entertainment. I would suggest, hopefully in alignment with a long line of bubble bursters, find the real. Constantly raising that potential is . . . fun. :) .

• Why are we interested in levitation? Why are we not impressed that we speak to disembodied voices(aka phone), see disembodied faces (aka Skype), fly through the air (on planes), glide on water (skiing).

For a learned person
    who has fathomed the Dhamma,
    clearly seeing this world & the next,
    desirable things don't charm the mind,
    undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His acceptance
    & rejection are scattered,
    gone to their end,
    do not exist.

Knowing the dustless, sorrowless state,
    he discerns rightly,
    has gone, beyond becoming,
    to the Further Shore.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn36/sn36.006.than.html

lobsterVictoriousanataman

I'm so boring most of the time...

Nought ought to be brought out though in thought, however sublime...

Gosh what a bloody boring statement!

Now, lets do a little trick
    where your god and I'm a thorny prick
    Ouch you say as I draw blood from your finger
    Damn you servant - i'll serve upon you floods, pestilence, hell and all things damned,

but your not like that really or are you?