Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Music straight to your heart

JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
edited December 2014 in General Banter

Not just good music, but music that hits or touches your heart:

ToshTheEccentricVictoriousNirvanadantepw

Comments

• Almost anything by Ron Sexsmith.

JeffreyDairyLama
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited October 2014

For anyone who doesn't know, this song was written by Elvis Costello for the movie "Cold Mountain". Which incidentally, was a much better book than movie.
    I think he did an excellent job of evoking the heartbreak of the American civil war in a short song.
    Also, Alison Krauss is the best.

Jeffrey
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited October 2014

@robot said:
    Also, Alison Krauss is the best.

She did some nice stuff on Transatlantic Sessions - here's one:

I always find this very evocative - it's from a lovely film called "Local Hero":

robotJeffrey
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

There's two I'd like to post but have no idea how to do so from my phone. Plus one is 45 minutes long.

Throwing Stones by The Grateful Dead and Thick As A Brick by Jethro Tull.

@ourself said:

Thick As A Brick by Jethro Tull.

Yes, that's a golden oldie:

David

Another golden oldie:

JeffreyVictoriousnakazcid
  • ToshTosh Veteran

@Jeffrey; Alison Moyet - a brilliant blast from the past. Enjoying it right now.

• ToshTosh Veteran

I've been told by trendy types (like my teenage daughter) that I have a terrible taste in music, but Joan Baez hits the right spots for me:

DairyLamaRowan1980
  • This song came out when I was a boy and on holiday in Lewes, Delaware. It's a bubbly and kinda corny little song, but for me it has always stirred up feelings of melancholy and loss, and nostalgia for a time so long ago that I barely remember it.

Jeffrey
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@Shoshin said:
    "Om Mani Padme Hung" (The Jewel is in the Lotus! Or "What we seek we are!")

You have no cause for anything but gratitude and joy........

dantepwShoshin
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

This song was from a New Zealand film called Footrot Flats back in the 80's.

This was the first song my wife and I danced to at our wedding......it still makes my heart swell when I hear it.

ShoshinsilverKundodantepw

John Martyn - "Small hours"

• Rowan1980Rowan1980 Keeper of the Zoo Asheville, NC Veteran
    edited October 2014

I LOVE Kate Bush! "This Woman's Work" is one that slays me every time.

Coheed and Cambria - "The Afterman"

Jeffrey
  • I love the smiths too.

BunksRowan1980bookwormReborn
  • Wow looked up Kate Bush in wikipedia. She is not as well known in US. Therefore a new talent to discover for me!!

Rowan1980Kundonakazcid

I had only started listening to Kate Bush during my later college years in the mid-'00s, partially because I'm a big Tori Amos fan. There have been comparisons made between the two.

nakazcid
  • Nothing like James Taylor for that feeling of comfort and hominess.

Rowan1980Bunks
  • I am a sucker for music about going home

VictoriousbookwormNirvana

Keith Jarret:

33_3
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran

Even though I don't understand much of what they are saying I still love it so much

Nirvana
  • You need more...

Rowan1980Namada
  • Rowan1980Reborn

+1 for The Pixies.

bookwormReborn

The Lark Ascending by Vaughan Williams:

SarahT
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran

How many can I post? :). And I guess I like big butts is not gonna fly? just kiddin.

This one is really me right now.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Ode to joy "Get your headphones at the ready"

• bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

Joy Division: New Dawn Fades

RebornRowan1980Kundo
  • Willy Tea Taylor - Everywhere Now

robot
  • Love the Pixies! Always have been one of my faves.

• bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

This is was my favorite song of the year in 2013 and still is in 2014.

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

Because I'm a weirdo ;)

youtu.be/AjPau5QYtYs

Zenshin
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    edited November 2014

Oh my goblosh, come on!

• Did you watch both? Who is the Father?
    What branch of the service were you in?
    I was a Paratrooper, combat with the 82nd and 101st in Vietnam

I have listened to both but I cannot relate in the way you are expecting me to - I'm very sorry! It's just too contrived! I did not 'serve' the USA btw I have served the UK, and am suffering PTSD from working in it's own civil service!

Time to say goodnight I suppose. If only children were puppets eh! And we could sing them to sleep in such a beautiful way - life would be different wouldn't it... But it's not, it is what it is, and we are all responsible for the way it is. Therefore it is your responsibility to create the next generation of free people!

Not Knocking you @Greg911, but reality is what it is!

• @anataman said:
    I have listened to both but I cannot relate in the way you are expecting me to - I'm very sorry! It's just too contrived! I did not 'serve' the USA btw I have served the UK, and am suffering PTSD from working in it's own civil service!

Time to say goodnight I suppose. If only children were puppets eh! And we could sing them to sleep in such a beautiful way - life would be different wouldn't it... But it's not, it is what it is, and we are all responsible for the way it is. Therefore it is your responsibility to create the next generation of free people!

Not Knocking you Greg911, but reality is what it is!

Yes it is, So why can't you see it. The first one is about the father. Your father as the beginning of your Karma and I don't mean the beginning of this life time. Everyone has a beginning in the one. Karma is the thread.
    If you were the last person on earth and you died That would be the end of the human race. That is reality.
    The father you are signing to is the first father and he is in the one. In heaven all powerful and eternal. Gods are different but still in the one. Where are they? Where are the devas?

The same person sang on both videos. Where was he in order to do that?

Very christian attitude @Gregg911 - I must apologise to you as I subscribe to a completely different different view of reality I'm afraid.

And to illustrate it I've created an illustrative poem just for you:

There is no father,
    farther than you can see!
    If your dad is part of you
    Then he is part of you,
    and must be part of me

but we are not really different,
    because you act the way you do
    and I act as me
    and you,
    well act like I expect you to

we may not see eye to I
    and I know you don't really see me
    otherwise I'd be you
    and stupidly you'd be me!

Poetry:
    It's the method of how one gets across
    ideas of the ridiculous;
    using a ridiculous
    but meticulous methodology!

...\lol/...

So let me show you a different reality:

There are a number of different views of reality and life.

A good example is the big bang. It's an acceptable and agreeable version of what happened to spark life in the universe. But guess what, We exist in the moment that is or may be regarded as THE BIG BANG AND YOUR REALLY LIVING IN IT! The NOW, The PRESENT, The HERE, THERE and EVERYWHERE and EVERYWHEN. IT's all happening simultaneously and as one superb happening. But it's not something that will ever end... WHY? Because it never started in a way we will ever understand - and that makes it unique, and as such can and might be repeated forever, and that is why it is called the ENDLESS WANDERING or SAMSARA. Can you escape from it - please feel free to leave a well seasoned argument below:

Some may see this as discordant to the way they live their lives; I see it in another way, as MUSIC STRAIGHT TO THE HEART...

Now, who's the daddy! ...\lol/...

• I an not a Christian per say I am everything I am all religions.
    There has to be a father. How can you not see that?
    What is it about that reality do you doubt? and why would you?
    Is it that it is just a song to you and not sung by a person?
    Is it that you think it is a not a Buddhist view? There is nothing in it that is not a Buddhist view. To include the Amen at the end.

I don't doubt reality; however, I doubt that it must be fathered. The world is harmonious, but the song I sing in it, doesn't necessarily accord with the discord I hear about me, but know and completely understand that they are synchronous - this may not necessarily be a buddhist view, but my view is just as important as yours. So if you are here to account and behold the father of the universe, I am here with him and you,

Ahhh Men! What would the world do without them!

Apart from screwing everything up as much as they can - Monks excepted of course!

seriously @Greg911 do you have complete and utter faith or is it a belief in what you have stated above?

I'm not temping you to go either way, although right now I am a serpent ...\lol/...