Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Thich Naht Hanh in hospital

karastikarasti BreathingMinnesota Moderator

The website Chan Indonesia reported earlier that TNH was in the process of passing away. However, supposedly one of the Sisters from Plum Village has said he is still in the hospital, but is doing "ok." What that means of course can be interpreted many ways. The article heading makes it sound as if he has already passed, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/americanbuddhist/2014/11/the-passing-of-thich-nhat-hanh.html

I did read online (unverified) that he has been ill in recent months.

If you are so inclined, there is a chant in the link that the nuns are doing for him, and it's quite a lovely chant if you should like to do it on your own, or otherwise include him in your thoughts and/or meditations.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Gracious, I had no idea he had been unwell...I know for whom my candle will be lit, tomorrow.... :cry:

Bunks
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

Poor Thay :o ..

I will chant for him.

_ /\ _

Bunks
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Here is an updated article. He had a brain hemorrhage :(
    http://plumvillage.org/news/our-beloved-teacher-in-hospital/

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited November 2014

I feel overcome with gratitude to Thay. It's filling up in my eyes .... :'( ....

I send much love, peace and strength to all my Brothers and Sisters at Plum Village and Magnolia Grove.

'Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.'
    --Thich Nhat Hanh

:)

David
  • Rowan1980Rowan1980 Keeper of the Zoo Asheville, NC Veteran
    I saw the initial unverified posting early this morning. I first encountered his writings in a sociology course on service learning. His writings got me through my latter college years when I was carrying full course loads, working part-time, and trying to recover from severe depression. I will certainly be praying for him.
    lobsterBuddhadragonBunksyagr
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited November 2014

I can only wish him well on his journey....Metta

pegembara
  • Reality, as it is, is called suchness. Suchness means, ‘it is like that.’ You cannot describe it in terms of notions, especially notions of birth and death, being and non-being, coming and going. No word, no idea, no notion can describe reality: the reality of a table, the reality of a flower, the reality of a house, the reality of a living being. To meditate means to be invited on a journey of looking deeply in order to touch our true nature and to recognize that nothing is lost. Because of this we can overcome fear. The ultimate is the foundation of our being, the ground of being…….

Thich Nhat Hanh

ShoshinRowan1980Buddhadragon
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

I have to admit, I didn't realize he was that old.

Nirvana
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Mindfulness has kept him young. :p;)

Rowan1980

You are evil sometimes! >:)

SarahT

At least I'm consistent.... B)

KundoBuddhadragonWonderingSeekerSarahT
  • Rowan1980Rowan1980 Keeper of the Zoo Asheville, NC Veteran
    What I find heartening is when I hear of the impact his words have made on my non-Buddhist friends and acquaintances. I think being able to have a positive influence of diverse groups of people speaks volumes to Thay's wisdom and kindness.
    Vanilli
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator

I only hope for a peaceful and painless passing for him. He has been a tremendous influence in my life.

KundoRowan1980Vastmind
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

He talks about death in this video. Good one! Even if he does die, I'm sure he'll still be OK. Honestly, I think you could chop the guys leg off, and he would still be OK. :p

o:)

Rowan1980

@DhammaDragon said:
    I have at least two acquaintances who have been drawn to Buddhism through Thay's books.

I gifted his book to a couple of Born Again friends, not for them to convert, but just to get a better viewpoint of Buddhism, and in both cases it worked.

KundoBuddhadragon
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

I enjoyed Brad Warner's ruminations on TNH's situation.

Chaz
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

Been thinking about TNH . . . and remembering an elderly woman about his age (near 90 yrs) who had a catastrophic brain hemmorhage and was sent to the unit I worked on so we could provide comfort care until she passed away. Instead, she was eating, drinking and hobbling with a walker a week and a half later. A person's brain slowly loses mass over the years, ironically leaving lots of room in the skull cavity. So when a huge bleed happens, instead of crushing the soft brain tissue in the ungiving skull, it just temporarily squeezes the soft brain and as the body cleans up the hemmorhage, the brain comes slowly back online. A forty year old with such a brain bleed would have died on Tuesday or Wednesday. We might see TNH recover completely or almost completely.

CinorjerRowan1980NirvanaKundo

Unfortunately, that may not help TNH.... In fact, his dedicated practice may count against him. :disappointed:

people who meditate also have stronger connections between brain regions and show less of the brain shrinkage that typically occurs with age.

>

Here.

HamsakaBuddhadragon
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

One of my absolute favorites, @Jeffrey‌

Good news!!! _ /|\ _

I can't post the link from my phone, but the latest update from Plum Village is very optimistic.

HamsakaRowan1980federica
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited November 2014
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

^ Not very optimistic, IMO, about his physical prospects.

Whether he lives or dies within the next month or two or three, the world will be much impoverished by what has transpired with him in the last several days.

Well, let's face facts: He WILL die, and the world will be impoverished by his absence.
    Full stop.

@Nirvana said:
    ^ Not very optimistic, IMO, about his physical prospects.

Well having neurologists looking after him is a positive. I'm still here and active because of neurologists. It's all in your perspective. I prefer to see the good in the situation _ /|\ _

BuddhadragonJeffrey
  • If you believe he is a man he will die, if you believe he is consciousness, how can that die? His teaching and stories will live on as well. What a gift to us all.

JeffreyBuddhadragonanataman
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

an update on Thay as of the 22nd....

http://plumvillage.org/news/an-update-on-thays-health-22nd-november/

A reminder from the Nuns and Monks.....

"....Let us support Thay by sustaining our practice of mindfulness throughout the day, wherever we are, keeping Thay alive within us and within our community. With deep conscious breaths and mindful steps, let us allow Thay’s teachings to ripen within us, helping us see Thay’s continuation body and Thay’s sangha body.

May we let go of resentments against those who have hurt us, and release our fear and sorrow, by coming back to the calm and gentle breathing that Thay has transmitted to us. This is the best way we can support Thay and be his beautiful continuation."

BuddhadragonStraight_ManDavidNirvana
    BunksnakazcidKundoSarahT
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

What a legacy!