Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How To Tag The Name of the Person You're Responding To?

We used to use the @ symbol to tag the person we were addressing a post to, and they'd automatically be notified of the post. But that doesn't seem to work anymore. Is there a new procedure?

Comments

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited December 2014

@Dakini not that I know of ....did my tag work for you?

• Yes, it did. I've tried tagging in some posts this weekend, and it hasn't worked. I guess I must be doing something wrong....? Thanks, Vastmind.

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

It can be pretty finicky ... make sure the spelling is right, and you have a space after...things like that, I've had to go back and redo names until I got it. :)

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@Dakini: make sure to leave no space between the at and the name of the person you address, and that the name of the person is correctly spelled, otherwise it won't work.

Vastmind
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2014

I think I figured out the trick. When typing the person's username, a little blue tab with their name comes up. In order to get the tag mechanism to work, you have to click onto the username tab, so it registers "officially". Then it works.

Thanks everyone.

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@Dakini said:
    I think I figured out the trick. When typing the person's username, a little blue tab with their name comes up. In order to get the tag mechanism to work, you have to click onto the username tab, so it registers "officially". Then it works.

I found that the little blue tab helps me check if I am spelling right, but it does not work with me when I click on it.

vinlynthegoldeneternity
  • @DhammaDragon said:
    I found that the little blue tab helps me check if I am spelling right, but it does not work with me when I click on it.

hm... well, clicking on the blue tab is the only thing that works for me. As long as you have something that works, it doesn't matter about the details, I guess.

• ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran

@Dakini I don't think you need that "blue tab" thing, I think it's just a convenient popup to help you select from names, like an auto-complete for tags.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@dakini and @Dakini‌ both work, either via tab or "hand-written".

• @Dakini I noticed that if you edit a post where the name is wrong it doesn't work despite changing to the right spelling. And then I deleted the name, saved, and then put the name in correct then saved and it turned out all right.

Nirvana
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@Toraldris said:
    Dakini I don't think you need that "blue tab" thing, I think it's just a convenient popup to help you select from names, like an auto-complete for tags.

>

The blue tab feature is similar to a lot of those pop-ups I've used elsewhere - BUT it doesn't seem to work for me -- If I click on the name, it doesn't pop the name in where I want to type it, so it could be different computers operate differently...who knows!

• I have same as silver

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

I wonder how big an issue this really is.

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

How big do you think it is? :smirk:

Virtually no issue at all.

Much bigger problem is quote function usually not working.

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    edited December 2014

@Vinlin

Well, here are my quoting tricks. first off, the quote feature is part broken, BUT it will operate nice if you put the following in after what it sticks in your message:

*Put an enter in, then when you are on a new line, put a greater than symbol as first character on new line;

*Enter again, twice.

Now you should have what you want quoted shown as a thing that looks like a greater than symbol led set of lines followed by a blank line and your cursor will be on line after the blank line.

Now type in your unquoted-to-be stuff. Save message. Wallah, quote in message.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

...or if you click on the backward 'p' symbol, you also get the quote facility....

Jeffrey

@silver said:
    The blue tab feature is similar to a lot of those pop-ups I've used elsewhere - BUT it doesn't seem to work for me -- If I click on the name, it doesn't pop the name in where I want to type it, so it could be different computers operate differently...who knows!

>

The secret is to pick the name you require by using the up/down arrows and then hit the tab key, not 'enter'....;-)

silverJeffrey

I'd rather just cut and paste. Far easier.

edited December 2014

I 'cut and paste'. You can only 'copy and paste '.....

Said the patronising pedant.... :D

SarahT
    edited December 2014

Cut to the quick!
    And I'm not even Jewish.

SarahTsilver
    edited December 2014

@federica said:

>

If you click on the fancy quote symbol you get WHO said it only. Then you have to copy/paste in the text said. If you click on the word 'quote' you get the text AND who said it minus the ending stuff. To show part of text, you can optionally get to cut (CTRL X for non-apple PC users) what you do not want in the message editing thing after pasting it all in there-- so there are ways and ways to this quote thing.

Jeffrey

Well put, Straight_Man! :D

Danke! :bows: .

vinlyn

Don't call me a danke!

SarahT

German for thanks!

I know!

silver

Herren : Bitte!

SarahT

Naturlich! Gut Genug, ich bin fertig damit. :)

I guess I'll have to google the translation -- everything except 'damit'!

With that = damit in German. :)

• ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran
    edited December 2014

@silver I just found out that Google Chrome has built-in translation. I right-clicked the text in @Straight_Man's post and clicked "Translate to English", and it did!

This saves the extra step of copy/pasting the text into a translation site. I did a quick search and found out that Firefox has plugins/addons for doing the same thing. Not sure about Internet Explorer.

silver
  • SarahTSarahT Time ... space ... joy South Coast, UK Veteran

@Straight_Man said:
    Naturlich! Gut Genug, ich bin fertig damit. :)

Just the words to make @federica's day ;)

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Toraldris said:
    silver I just found out that Google Chrome has built-in translation. I right-clicked the text in Straight_Man's post and clicked "Translate to English", and it did!

Cool! Whatever will they think of next? Mind-reading software? Or maybe that's not such a good idea. >:)

ToraldrissilverSarahT

OK, completely unrelated question: How the heck to you copy/paste on a MacBook!?

@federica said:
    OK, completely unrelated question: How the heck to you copy/paste on a MacBook!?

http://www.wikihow.com/Copy-and-Paste-on-a-Mac

Holy schytt, it worked....!! :astonished:
    Do you know how many forums there are discussing the problems people are having on being unable to cut/copy and paste on a MacBook?? You should read some of the solutions! Wipe the memory, access this program, key in this command followed by your password, then type this, this and this, then re-type your password, think of the number you first thought of, double it, add your age, deduct the month and year you were born, muliply by 70.8569.......... Jeesh! And all it is , is the wiggly key!! Astounding....!!

SarahT