Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Quoting doesn't work correctly for me

SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran

When I press the quote button, I only get something like this:

(username) said:

>

Comments

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

It's a bit hit and miss. I sometimes copy in the relevant bit I'm responding to.

• SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:
    It's a bit hit and miss. I sometimes copy in the relevant bit I'm responding to.

Thanks SpinyNorman. Worked with your quote! Maybe it just works with one liners - a sneaky tactic by the mods to introduce some discipline?

@SattvaPaul said:
    Thanks SpinyNorman. Worked with your quote! Maybe it just works with one liners - a sneaky tactic by the mods to introduce some discipline?

Sometimes it works with long posts, sometimes you get nothing, so it seems to be random!

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited September 2014

Yeah...it's been acting up for awhile. Try to deal with it the best way you can.....
    The admins know and had said as soon as he has time, he'll try to get the bug out.

Go with the flow.......We can pretty much figure out whats going on and everyone is pretty patient. We practice it, you know....hahaha

• @SattvaPaul said:
    When I press the quote button, I only get something like this:

When that happens, I do a copy-and-paste for the rest of the text. I'm sure Lincoln is working on fixing it.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

If I notice somebody's post is "a bit of a quote-mess" I try to help by tidying up....

Make sure you tidy up the spelling and grammar while you're at it.. :p .

ToraldrisSarahT
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

Aunt fede...now that you mention it....I got a messy one out there.

I tried the cut and paste...but it still came out disjointed...I'll flag it...

Thanks

@federica

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Oooh, that's a good point, never thought of that - thanks!! Don't mind if I do!! :D .

SarahT
    edited September 2014

@Vastmind‌ ....ok..... :) .

But do leave the cockney. :D .

SarahT

Right-ho Guv, anyfink yew say.....

SarahT

@Vastmind‌ , corrections made. Hope it's as it should be. I believe it is....

Vastmind
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

I was wondering why when I quoted somebody, only part of it was included...I discovered a quote setting, so I changed it from 1 to 4 - I've yet an opportunity to test it and see if that does the trick.

...."Quote setting"....? :confused:

Yes, it's a setting on the profile. Mine is currently "2 levels deep" though I'm not at all sure what that means. :D

silver
  • how does one quote a comment and then write their own comment afterwards so that it is outside of the yellow quote box?

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

As fur as I can tell, @Tony72, it's a DIY project,..sad to say.

I think it works same as quoting someone and then putting your own response which is to put this sign '>' before/after and between paragraphs. I hope you can figure it out until / if it gets fixed any time soon.

edited December 2014

Ok, because I'm a technical fudgewit, I'm going to explain it in a way I wish someone would explain it to me, if I didn't know....

Occasionally, quoting another member's post, works.
    But if you want to respond to individual points or comments they make, put your cursor at the end of the relevant sentence or paragraph.
    Click 'return', and insert one of these boys: '>' (without the inverted commas.

The hit return twice, to put a 2-line gap between that arrow, and your response.
    It has to be a 2-line space, or your response will get caught up within their quote.

Right at the beginning of where their quoted passage continues, put another right-facing arrow.
    Put yet another one as before, at the end of the sentence or piece you're referring to.

Like this (always omitting the inverted commas):

'>' blah blah blah, and then blah blah blah, oh and by the way, blah blah blah too!
    blah blah, don't you think?
    '>'

You can also copy and paste a comment made by someone else, but you have to paste it, then prefix it as follows.
    '>' arrow, immediately followed by the @ symbol, and immediately followed by their 'forum name' said:

Like this:

'>' @federica said: blah blah blah, and then blah blah blah, oh and by the way, blah blah blah too!
    '>'

I hope this helps.

edited December 2014

Here's how the post above, works without the inverted commas:

Ok, because I'm a technical fudgewit, I'm going to explain it in a way I wish someone would explain it to me, if I didn't know....

Occasionally, quoting another member's post, works.
    But if you want to respond to individual points or comments they make, put your cursor at the end of the relevant sentence or paragraph.
    Click 'return', and insert one of these boys: '>' (without the inverted commas.

The hit return twice, to put a 2-line gap between that arrow, and your response.
    It has to be a 2-line space, or your response will get caught up within their quote.

Right at the beginning of where their quoted passage continues, put another right-facing arrow.
    Put yet another one as before, at the end of the sentence or piece you're referring to.

Like this (always omitting the inverted commas):

blah blah blah, and then blah blah blah, oh and by the way, blah blah blah too!

>

You can also copy and paste a comment made by someone else, but you have to paste it, then prefix it as follows.
    '>' arrow, immediately followed by the @ symbol, and immediately followed by their 'forum name' said:

Like this:

@federica said: blah blah blah, and then blah blah blah, oh and by the way, blah blah blah too!

>

I hope this helps.

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator

For what it's worth, I'm working on making this simpler to understand.

SarahT

Aaaw! @Linc! I just noticed the cute Santa hat!!

(Sorry..... Lost the Mrs CoolCalm&Collected there, for a minute....) :D