Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is this Om symbol tattoo written correctly?

Hi guys. Hopefully you can help

I had this Om tattoo done a few days ago, which is something I've wanted for a long time as a visual embodiment of my beliefs, but I'm worried that it hasn't been done correctly.

I've read that the 'semi circle' curve is meant to shield the dot from all the other lines below and that there's a specific reason for this. Is this right or is the way the tattoo has been done an acceptable variation? I know the Om is written in many varying forms.

I've been told it could be corrected if needs be as I don't want the symbol to read incorrectly, hopefully you guys can help. Thanks.x

Comments

• misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran

Can you show your Om tattoo image please?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@misecmisc1 said:
    Can you show your Om tattoo image please?

Yes, it would help if we knew what it looked like! :D

• Nice tat. Is that on an arm or leg? Looks like a typical "OM" symbol to me, but there's so many variations to choose from that unless it was Chinese for "Joe's shrimp house" you could get away with it. OM always looked to me like a "3" with a pony tail.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2015

Pointillism.... very attractive.

The "ponytail" seems to have more of a 'neck' to it, in images I have seen... yours appears to have no preliminary 'kink' to it.... see here...

But to be honest with you, it's actually a minor, not to say insignificant, detail... anyone who knows can see it's an 'OM' symbol.....

EDIT NOTE:
    I see what you mean now, about the 'shielding' effect of the upward brush-stroke.... but I think, as there is a certain amount of Artistic license, the tattoo looks really good.

However, is it going to bother you a great deal....?

• Aesthetically, I actually prefer yours to the majority of the OM images I found through google search that have a longer "ponytail"

Hairist.

thegoldeneternityCinorjerKundo
  • Thanks for the replies!

I've read a lot about Om symbolism out of interest and was concerned because I've read similar things to the following:

"The dot signifies the fourth state of consciousness, known in Sanskrit as turiya. In this state the consciousness looks neither outwards nor inwards, nor the two together. It signifies the coming to rest of all differentiated, relative existence This utterly quiet, peaceful and blissful state is the ultimate aim of all spiritual activity. This Absolute (non-relative) state illuminates the other three states.

Finally, the semi circle symbolizes maya and separates the dot from the other three curves. Thus it is the illusion of maya that prevents us from the realization of this highest state of bliss. The semi circle is open at the top, and does not touch the dot. This means that this highest state is not affected by maya. Maya only affects the manifested phenomenon. This effect is that of preventing the seeker from reaching his ultimate goal, the realization of the One, all-pervading, unmanifest, Absolute principle. In this manner, the form of OM
    represents both the unmanifest and the manifest, the noumenon and the phenomenon."
    http://www.stillnessspeaks.com/ssblog/aum_om_turiya/

Some things I've read state that the 'dot' should be shielded from the other curves and give a reason why. I just wasn't sure how important that was as most variations of the Om that I've seen seem to all be like that.

Maybe I'm just looking too much into this :D

Massive article. And reference to a different source, at the bottom of the article/blog.

While it certainly is a massive banquet for thought, I think (as your final comment may suggest) you CAN over-think this...

I think your tattoo is extremely well done and quite beautiful in its manifestation.
    While insider knowledge on the symbol is utterly fascinating, I'd take the whole and just relax, and just figure that you've done your bit to make your statement.

At the end of the day - you will die.
    Sorry to be so blunt, but will that make a huge difference to how you manifest the symbol, then?

• peacemanpeaceman New
    edited January 2015

I've read similar things in other books, articles etc but yes I guess the main thing is the right intention is there and that it is close enough. I have a mind that can really nit pick and that zooms in on minute details and actually, my spiritual learning and development helps me move past this via presence and meditate.

Yes I will die you will die, all cycles must come to an end, I am fine with that, I'm just trying to do as much as possible to contribute as much positivity into the world and help people via charity work and just by being present and enlightened and being good to the people I encounter.

• And don't forget, it's just a word. OM is also written in other languages, including Tibet and Chinese and even English here, and it's just as valid.

I think he has already been shown enough OM symbols to last a lifetime! (See my 2nd post and links) :)

• Haha
  • RuddyDuck9RuddyDuck9 MD, USA Veteran
    edited June 2016

I see this thread is old, but still open!! And I recently learned of spiritual or faith based tattoos being a matter of contention in the global sphere. Anyone else here had a problem with accidentally offending someone with their OM or other faith based tattoo? My OM is on my ankle and a year or so ago I was informed by a very upset lady of South Asian descent why it's considered rude or offensive to place these holy symbols "below the belt" so to say. I have done research on it since and am slightly horrified that I was so ignorant 8years ago to have gotten this placement without even thinking of cultural and religious mores.

Another part of me thinks... well... I am in American culture, defining my own Buddhist personality bit by bit, and care for my tattoos as well as I can. I keep them clean and feel a kinship to them and what they mean for my life. I get tattoos not for others, but for myself. That being said, I think I'd still cover my ankle in the event of visitation to a Buddhist/ Hindu country, out of respect.

ps. i know the photo is mirrored. It's correctly aligned in actuality. :smile:

edited June 2016

(naughty girl!)

Threads over a year old are usually shut, because it makes the place look untidy.. ;)
    Yes, we have had several threads on tattoos, in the past... I don't remember if any of them discussed our specific tattoos being offensive to others, but I think someone posted a thread on a woman who was either arrested or deported for sporting a Buddha tattoo...

(If you type 'tattoo' in the search box above, you'll find other threads....)

RuddyDuck9