Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A scientific look at meditation

A very short (3 minutes) look at how meditation effects the body

Comments

• sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran

Heck yeah!

So good yum.

Savor the flavor.

Then drop it like it's way too hot to handle.

;)

ThailandTom
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited January 2015

@sova said:
    Heck yeah!

So good yum.

Savor the flavor.

Then drop it like it's way too hot to handle.

;)

yep, it is important to drop the experience you had during a meditation session, if you cling onto it you are creating a self and thus suffering subsequently. I thought you were going to say 'drop it like it's hot' as in that song which I forget the name of now :sweat_smile:

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Nuffink like a nice bit of bliss though.... ;)

• @SpinyNorman said:
    Nuffink like a nice bit of bliss though.... ;)

It sure does one a it of good that is for sure, even for the layman who has nothing whatsoever to do with Buddhism can meditate and reap the benefits.

There is a long quote from a monk about picking up a rock on the grass and letting it grow, but ten putting it down again and the grass going yellow and ding again, I won't go into it as I am feeling rather lazy, but it refers to using mediation for the sake of needing to do it, and when it is over go back to your old habits of how you lead your life. Mindfulness should carry on into everyday life, meditation is a moment to moment dealio.

I do feel a need to meditate and that feels fine. Sure, it's important to carry that awareness off the cushion, but I reckon sitting meditation is the foundation. Meditation can also be very transformative in it's own right, as your OP suggests.

• @SpinyNorman said:
    I do feel a need to meditate and that feels fine. Sure, it's important to carry that awareness off the cushion, but I reckon sitting meditation is the foundation. Meditation can also be very transformative in it's own right, as your OP suggests.

I forget if it was on this forum or the other one that was shut down ages ago, but someone once told me that meditation, the sitting form of meditation is the cornerstone of your practice.

It's what I always say, so it might even have been me. ;)

• @SpinyNorman said:
    It's what I always say, so it might even have been me. ;)

Now wouldn't that be a funny circle that has came back around. I think whoever it was also added an elephant in there with an analogy..

No, I can't remember the elephant so it probably wasn't me. ;)

There's quite a lot of good stuff floating around, which is the main thing.

ThailandTom