Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist Research Threads - new category perhaps?

anatamananataman Who needs a title?Where am I? Veteran

There are obviously many people who come to NB thinking they can gain a doctorate in divinity by studying the wheezes and comments of people who think they might be or are in their own minds definitely (like ME ...\lol/...) entitled to call themselves buddhists.

So like the Gods, Demi-gods, Humans, Animals, purgatorials (for want of better terms) and Demons that regularly post illuminating and sometimes deviant yet often irrelevant and distracting posts, to their own advantage, I suggest the addition of another category to the drop down thread - i.e. a Buddhist Research thread.

We have a search function that appears to be working now - thanks @Linc‌ but, perhaps if people are visiting this site in search of insight they might want to highlight this fact!

Just a thought, given the recent closure of a research thread!

Comments

• I'm not getting your concept, OP. Could you explain a bit more?

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

It's not difficult really.

This site is obviously viewed as a target for people either looking at buddhism in an interested way, or from a dedicated way, but thirdly there are those who want to get a quick fix by asking certain questions about buddhism, from a buddhistic perspective. By making a category where peoples intentions are clear from the outset, many people here might be able to focus their answers in a way that directly answers the OP's question, but from a perspective that clearly acknowledges that the OP is researching the subject matter, rather than starting a thread without the intention of following it through.

I can't be much clearer than that, so would expect a serious researcher to state their intent similarly in the buddhist research category I have proposed.

Or maybe I am just naive? Yes that would be an appropriate response in certain instances. Just pushing buttons.........\ "I"/........

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I'll leave this one to @Linc‌...

@federica said:
    I'll leave this one to Linc‌...

Well he is Optimus Prime!

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Yes, I guess he is. Very apt!

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator

Might as well name the category "Lazy grad students" while we're at it. :p Not really a goal of this site.

JeffreyDakiniSarahT
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

We could make stuff up, see if they notice. ;)

SarahT
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Profs Google a few lines of all students reports, right?

Anataman rolls his eyes in disbelief - and realises something...

It was a beneficent thought that started this thread. It resulted in the suggestion that those who might be researching buddhism in an interested way, perhaps looking for a little guidance in the quagmire that buddhism has become (is becoming as the Western mind interferes with it... and were looking to question people without deceit and discuss intentionally the views of people who might have come to have a little insight into the path of buddhism and the little distractions that prevent people reaching their goal, be given a category that would assist them.

However, as I am coming to realise, deception lies deep within the deceiver, and what or who is deceiving you?

Nighty Night,
    Followers of 'mind's brightest blight',
    Your affliction
    is mine too!

Yet nought plus form
    Makes us do
    And faults lie deeply
    within me and you

Anyway enough stuff and nonsense; So I didn't get the category - so what? - back to real Buddhism, where we sit, chant, meditate and seek something pure and simple, but can't really get over ourselves!

...\lol/...

Earthninja

Well that was two minutes of my life I can't get back....

lobsteranataman
    edited January 2015

2 minutes - Is that all you gave it?

In that case I won't even begin to try to draw you into any discussion about the 'illusion' of time, space and this sense of self you might have then... I suspect that would be a seriously real waste of your time, and everyone else who peruses this website?

know now, no, o . I . o on won wonk

Purposefully reasoned but meaningless drivel, or am I just driving you toward an irrational meaningless for no purpose....

...\lol/...

Got to be worth 3 minutes of contemplation!

Heres to the generic lazy-arsed researcher (as that is what they all must be if they want to research buddhism), who perhaps really doesn't get it, but wants to, yet has no other recourse but to either participate in something which has no meaning for them, but can also look nowhere within for advice as there is no way of appealing to others for help and advice in a place which appears to be a refuge - but it isn't really, is it?

Newbuddhist is just a game, a waste of time... Isn't it?

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited January 2015
    Maybe a frequently asked questions sub-forum... That's almost all of them though and sometimes we need to ask in different ways.

I know I grow from these exchanges by the sharing of views. Also it helps in my understanding when trying to answer others questions so it isn't a waste of my time.

I really need to work on my run-on sentences.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I'm never sure about FAQs because they are so impersonal. Similar questions do arise repeatedly but I think they are best answered in an individual way.

@ourself said: ....I really need to work on my run-on sentences.

>

Buddhist Grammar... Rite Speach?

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:
    I'm never sure about FAQs because they are so impersonal. Similar questions do arise repeatedly but I think they are best answered in an individual way.

Only problem is when you have the same person asking the same question disguised under new wording over and over again...

@DhammaDragon said:
    Only problem is when you have the same person asking the same question disguised under new wording over and over again...

>

Yes, but we pretty much recognise that, and either nip it in the bud, or invite the person to maybe frequent other venues and ask those questions...

permanently.... ;)