Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

"Delete"?

Is there a delete button, if we want to delete our post? Sorry if I've missed something. My "edit" gear only offers an "edit" option, not a delete option.

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran

No, only admins and possibly mods can delete, but if you say in a post please delete this, it may suddenly vanish for you.

• You can flag your own post and ask for a delete also.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

It is usually easiest to edit, delete all the writing, and then simply put "deleted my post." It''ll still post, but that is all it will say. People do it pretty often. Or, like Jeffrey said, request it to be deleted.

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

I didn't know that move, @Straight_Man -- I'll remember that one. On other forums where you can't delete them yourself, people will put ellipses or a line.

• One problem with self delete is that banned users (shortly before a ban) might 'rage post' and delete all of their content as they can.

silver
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2015

@karasti said:
    It is usually easiest to edit, delete all the writing, and then simply put "deleted my post." It''ll still post, but that is all it will say. People do it pretty often. Or, like Jeffrey said, request it to be deleted.

Yes, that's what I did a minute ago on one of my own posts. There used to be a "delete" option, though. I was just wondering if I was missing something. I guess not. Thank you, all!

• @Jeffrey said:
    One problem with self delete is that banned users (shortly before a ban) might 'rage post' and delete all of their content as they can.

Wow. I never noticed that. Interesting.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

Yes, I've seen that on non-Buddhist websites a couple of times.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Jeffrey said:
    One problem with self delete is that banned users (shortly before a ban) might 'rage post' and delete all of their content as they can.

I guess that can happen, but AFAIK, most 'subsequently-banned' members have not succeeded in doing that here.

As a general rule of thumb, unless someone is deliberately and maliciously spamming, we don't 'delete' content - we 'Report and Dump' it.

There is a Moderator-only thread, and the main purpose is to keep a record of content in case we get a backlash argument from said banned member, and/or it gives us a record of IP numbers....
    Such material is also retrievable.

I have in the past deleted off-topic posts from specific threads, but have always left a message indicating that, and a reason...

Nobody (to date) has ever come back at me and disputed the deletion, and for that I would say I'm grateful.

On one occasion (quite some time ago now) a member (who is no longer with us) and I entered into a bit of an on-forum spat.
    I then deleted the virtual entire content of that hostile ping-pong game chiefly because I was greatly at fault for having entered into it, in the first place and it was an unseemly and undignified thing to do. I should have known better....

99.99% of the time, if a member asks for one of their posts to be deleted for 'technical reasons' (double posting, wrong thread, link not working...) we'll very happily comply.

Deletions are final.
    We cannot reverse the process. Once something is deleted, it's gone for good.

For that very reason, we do NOT delete and annul membership and terminate somebody's registration even if it's by request.

Because 99.99% of the time, that person comes back. And to deny people the right to have second thoughts and try again, is unfair.
    That said, if they really don't want to come back, it's up to them to exercise that will-power.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Dakini, tell me when you feel we've done with the thread, and I'll slip a 'closed' sign on it.

I can just see this being revived in 5 years' time.... :D

• @federica I wasn't saying the site (you lincoln etc) deletes content I was saying the banned user deletes his own content in revenge against the site/people. So he/she trashes the site to get back at it.

Don't worry... He'd be doing us a favour.... I don't see how a banned user can damage the site by doing that... Or maybe because (a) it's not possible here and (b) I'm an absolute techno-dumbo, I'm not sure how that would be a negative thing.... :confounded:

• @federica said:
    Dakini, tell me when you feel we've done with the thread, and I'll slip a 'closed' sign on it.

I can just see this being revived in 5 years' time.... :D

Oh, OK. I guess we're done. The question has been answered. :)

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator

A banned user has no permission to do anything.

"Rage delete" is also why editing is limited to 4 hours (15 minutes for newer members).

Really, I wouldn't mind enabling "delete" within the edit window, but I worry about making it awkward for rapid-fire discussions where a post is suddenly gone. At least with edit there's a record they actually participated.

SarahTNirvana
  • That 4-hr. edit window is nice, @Linc.

This discussion has been closed.