Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• SarahTSarahT Time ... space ... joy South Coast, UK Veteran

@federica said:
    Im-wearing-Ede-and-Ravenscroft

Great answer! Got to be the best way to show how ridiculous such questions are?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Can you imagine a male Barrister being asked that? I thought it was the kind of question you only hear on sex lines.... :angry:

Rowan1980
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited January 2015

@federica said:I thought it was the kind of question you only hear on sex lines.... :angry:

I wouldn't know anything about that, ;)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

then, if you wouldn't know anything about that, how could you respond to something you know nothing about....? :dizzy:

I just wondered if you did!

I did what....?!

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited January 2015

@Hamsaka said:Cows kill 22 people a year

Yeah but people kill an awful lot of cows.

Moo Jihadees. Free the Udder. Beef Power. Grazers Liberation . . . :p

Tomorrow I am going on a walk with a group of Quakers. They will be wearing sensible clothes and not turn up looking like something from a Quaker Oats packet ( I hope so anyway ).

Rowan1980nakazcid

Somehow....disappointing..... :lol:

Vastmind

I hope I don't get roped into a barn-raising afterwards, because I might be tired from the walk.

Only kidding, they're lovely and quite normal! Good friends actually.

@SpinyNorman said:
    I hope I don't get roped into a barn-raising afterwards, because I might be tired from the walk.

I think you may be making Amish-take about your Christian sects, here...

Rowan1980nakazcid

Oooh! All together now!! HEEEEAVE!! (I'll play, as long as I'm not relegated to the kitchen with the rest of the wimmin to do namby-pamby chores...!)

lobster

Get yer hammer and nails then gal!

lobster
  • Quakers after a shaky start :wink:
    seem one of the more contemplative Christian groups.

As a mark of solidarity you could have porridge for brekkie . . .

Yeah, they're on the liberal end of Christianity, some of them don't even believe in God.

Hamsaka

@SpinyNorman said:
    Get yer hammer and nails then gal!

Screw that....

No, I mean that, literally.... My former BiL used to work as a builder (I'm sure I've mentioned this anecdote before...) and there he is, up on the preliminary skeletal construction of a roof, on a new build, whacking his hammer down....

"Murray!!" yells up the foreman, "What d'fuq are you doin'...?!"

" 'Ammerin' these screws in!" he yells back...

"Whaddya mean, 'ammerin'..?! What d'ya think them slots in the end are for?!!?"

(Wihout a pause) "Takin' 'em back out agin!"

HamsakaSarahTnakazcid
    edited January 2015

Yes, I used to do quite a lot of roofing, usually as part of renovating older properties. Most people won't climb a ladder to see what you are getting up to, it's quite nice. Also great views from the top of a roof, it's a whole different world up there, Mary Poppins chimney sweeps and such!

~Cue the devotees of the Dick Van Dyke School of Advanced Cockney.... B)

@federica said:
    Can you imagine a male Barrister being asked that? I thought it was the kind of question you only hear on sex lines.... :angry:

Well ... this is quite an interesting article on when a male actor was asked the questions a female actor would be!

http://www.upworthy.com/a-reporter-talks-to-an-incredible-actor-like-hes-an-actress-and-he-doesnt-like-it-so-much?c=ufb1

But then, some are interested in fashion. When I see something I like, clotheswise, I do tend to ask where it came from ... :scream:

@federica said:
    ~Cue the devotees of the Dick Van Dyke School of Advanced Cockney.... B)

No word of a lie, we were on a roofing job at a terrace house, a woman came out from next door and said "Could you please remove that scaffold pole from my back passage."

anatamanSarahT

And like true gentlemen, you all looked at one another, thought it, but didn't say it..... :silenced::blush::lol:

We couldn't help but smile. Fortunately the neighbour saw the funny side of it too.

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

Cars and soldiers kill a lot of people too!

Sorry just jumping on the bandwagon...

Amthorn
  • AmthornAmthorn Explorer
    edited January 2015

@Bunks said:
    There is an open range zoo about twenty minutes from where I live with giraffes, >ostriches, hippos, lions etc. I take my kids there occasionally.

I want to go to there!!!!

Bunks

Hey a new advert for 'free online art classes' just popped up in that last video - perhaps I have a hidden talent that I don't know about but the ad men do... Might investigate that, cos it's free!

Bunks

I downloaded 'adblocker'. It's utterly brilliant....

Rowan1980lobster
    edited January 2015

I have it but youtube seem to get round it on my mac - maybe I'll look at the settings - looked at settings - ad block has been removed? Now how did that happen, I paid the guy $20 - got a thank you but no haiku - reinstalled!

I'm listening to the Podcast of Radio 2's 'Friday Night is Music Night' which yesterday evening, celebrated the 70th anniversary of the Light Programme.
    Sorry, but it's sheer bliss... Hancock's Half-Hour, Norman Wisdom, 'Take it from here', Flanders and Swan... Ah, such fun!!

They don't make 'em like that any more!

If they did, nobody would listen. But because it's 'nostalgia' everyone loves it. We're such a weird bunch....

A relatively new term it pays to be familiar with....

Bunks

@federica said:
    A relatively new term it pays to be familiar with....

LOL, I know one of two of those. They try the patience of a saint!

edited February 2015

From THIS thread, so as to not steer it O/T:

@SpinyNorman said:
    @lobster said:'Well,' explained Paddy, ' . . . you don't want to be starting from here . . .'>
    >
    Yes, it's a lovely way to wind up tourists.
    >

My elder brother used to have a mean tick...

If anyone ever asked him, "Excuse me, do you know where ~such-and-such-a-place~ is..?"

He would reply, "Yes, I do thanks!" and keep walking....

OR - He would stop someone and say,

"Excuse me, do you know where (e.g.) Langtree Road is?"

"No, sorry..."

"Well," he would continue, "Go to the end of this road, turn left, 1st right, and it's the second on the left!"

Oooh, he was such a card.... :D

(Aaand, yes, it seems the quotes facility is completely F'd.....!)

I'm movin' to Texas! Sounds like such a fun place... I mean, it gived us Bush, dinnit...?

Bunks

This looks interesting... It's a map with the countries proportioned according to their population size...

This is the accompanying article....

Hamsaka
  • @federica said:
    I downloaded 'adblocker'. It's utterly brilliant....

I hate ads . . . I also sometimes watch them on YouTube (best of ads). So it must be a love hate relationship.

You are learning the way of the geek young cyber walker. Trust the Force. Do not give into the dank side. :p

. . . m m m . . . talking of Jedi Geeks and ads: Today the incredible Geekery of the Raspberry Pi entered its second serving. Slice two.
    http://www.raspberrypi.org/raspberry-pi-2-on-sale/

It will even run Windows 10 from MicroSith >:)

nakazcid
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

My boys (human ones) created an inadvertent IQ test for my ducks and geese by digging much needed drainage ditches through their yards and pastures (we live on five acres, four of which are wetland swamp). They took old plywood pieces and made 'bridges' across them, and it's been my job to 'instruct' my lima bean sized brain beloveds how to navigate their oddly changed landscape.

So far the chickens are 'winning', if you include creativity and daring (flap madly over ditch). Geese and ducks cannot see their own feet, which has become a handicap. They have 'faith' that their feet follow somewhere along the back two thirds of their bulk but this faith has been challenged as they bravely step forward (me literally pushing them across the bridges, over and over and over again lol).

We got it down to at least ONE goose or duck taking the first risk and then suddenly they ALL 'get it' and cross the bridge behind them. This works fine, except most of the time, they don't know WHY they crossed the bridge, and have to go back without the ringleader, who has moved on. I've had to keep an eye on them all day since awake for the sound of "I'm lost, Mom!" and haven't gotten a lot done . . .

The wonders of UK elections ...

Sample FUKP policy: revalue the Pound at £1.10 to make it worth 10p more. “Common sense.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2015/11388906/Sketch.html

Hooray for a bit of humour!

My H has received a new gizmo with which to test his blood... now all he has to do is enrol in Uni again, and gain his PhD in reading the damn instructions.... "Well, it's not rocket science...'

You could have fooled me...! :lol:

anatamanRowan1980
    It's probably very simple - you press the button on the right, move 2 steps to the left and say yeah or is it duh! prick your finger and faint at the sight of blood only to wake up in 100 years by true loves kiss!

It is the Disney glucometer he's got right?
    Rowan1980
    edited February 2015

If I read one more comment about Whitney Houston's daughter, and how her condition 'puts other news into the shade'.... :rage:

edited February 2015

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lobsterRowan1980

To the power of 10 - !!

• Wonderful news. Congratulations. Has made my day. <3

It is pretty splendid news. We could hardly believe it when he was telephoned, to hear he had the job.... sigh of relief all round.

Now awaiting news regarding my application.
    Wouldn't it be great to have the double-whammy!?