Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation while sick

So I seem to have a nasty upper respiratory infection. Good times. I was googling around looking for tips about maintaining meditation practice during illness, and I stumbled upon this:

http://www.meditationexpert.com/yoga-kung-fu/y_meditators_easily_catch_the_flu_and_colds.htm

Kind of interesting, though a bit esoteric for me. I've never tried Chinese medicine. Has anyone here noticed an increase in colds and flu with increased meditation practice? I suppose practicing deep breathing does bring potentially cause us to inhale more pathogens. I guess there is a down side to everything!!!

Comments

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited February 2015

How can I put this politely?

Drivel. :p

Yoga and meditation make one healthier. If you do too much exercise, the body does not have sufficient resources. That is true. Middle Way therefore . . .

Most people are not in touch with their mind and body, too many are stressed and meditation and dharma stresses them further 'coz they are not doing it right (according to them).

Gently. Kindly. With respect, with wisdom to your unique physical needs.

Buddhadragon
  • Yeah, it did smack of a sales pitch a bit lol

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

People who sit in front of an air conditioner are more likely to get sick because cold viruses thrive in the slightly colder air still present in their nose. There was actually just a study about this. Has nothing to do with chi, lol. If that was the case, people in North Dakota would be sick all year round because it's windy as heck there every day.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/11325347/Common-cold-really-is-triggered-by-chilly-weather-Yale-scientists-find.html

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

It would be a case of Aaaah-Chi! Aaaaah-Chi! Bless you!

AmthornBunksdantepwKundo
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran

I suppose practicing deep breathing does bring potentially cause us to inhale more pathogens

Breathing in meditation should not be forced or coerced.
    Just relax and watch your natural breathing. Then calm it. Naturally.

When sick meditation on the DO helps a lot. Not by healing you but by cutting to the core of matters.

I tried it after reading about it in the suttas. Just at tip.

/Victor

There are different types of meditations, @Victorious, and some include particular types of breathing. For most people taking the time to slow down alone changes their breathing pattern, as the one most people run through their busy days with is quite shallow and erratic.

Kundo
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited February 2015

How about these subjects for contemplation?

"There are these five facts that one should reflect on often, whether one is a woman or a man, lay or ordained. Which five?

"'I am subject to aging, have not gone beyond aging.' This is the first fact that one should reflect on often, whether one is a woman or a man, lay or ordained.

"'I am subject to illness, have not gone beyond illness.' ...

"Now, based on what line of reasoning should one often reflect... that 'I am subject to illness, have not gone beyond illness'? There are beings who are intoxicated with a [typical] healthy person's intoxication with health. Because of that intoxication with health, they conduct themselves in a bad way in body... in speech... and in mind. But when they often reflect on that fact, that healthy person's intoxication with health will either be entirely abandoned or grow weaker...

As I maintained this attitude —
    knowing the Dhamma
    without paraphernalia —
    I overcame all intoxication
    with health, youth, & life
    as one who sees
    renunciation as rest.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an05/an05.057.than.html

• @karasti said:
    People who sit in front of an air conditioner are more likely to get sick because cold viruses thrive in the slightly colder air still present in their nose. There was actually just a study about this. Has nothing to do with chi, lol. If that was the case, people in North Dakota would be sick all year round because it's windy as heck there every day.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/11325347/Common-cold-really-is-triggered-by-chilly-weather-Yale-scientists-find.html

Another way of saying it I heard in pharmacy school. Viruses replicate faster in colder temps. You have to actually get the air in the lungs warmer thus blankets aren't as effective as turning up the heat.

• VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran

@karasti said:
    There are different types of meditations, Victorious, and some include particular types of breathing.

Do you mean in Buddhism?

I was only referring to that.

• howhow Veteran Veteran

From one perspective, are we not just a bio sphere for virus and bacteria. An evolutionary construct for earth's earliest prime species for their development and propagation throughout a much wider range of environmental conditions than they could otherwise accomplish on their own.

Which ultimately makes religion just another microbial vehicle maintenance program.

@Victorious I use them in my Buddhist translation as taught by my teacher, so, in that sense, yes.

Victorious
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

I used Chinese Medicine to alleviate side effects of chemotherapy over ten years ago. I found it to be very helpful. But this website, to be blunt, sounds like utter BS

_ /\ _

lobster
  • Well I'm feeling a bit better now, no chinese concoctions, just western medicine and bedrest. It was interesting when I tried to practice mindfulness while sick, I was actually able to slow the coughing to an extent by controlling my breath and paying attention to my body's needs. Mindfulness is such amazing practice!

On another note, I definitely feel more impermanent after this week! lol

lobsterKundo
  • I am sick the past two days and still did/doing my 1 hour of meditation. It helps to break into many small sessions. Walking meditation is a lot easier when the body feels bad.