Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Trance v Meditation

lobsterlobster Veteran
edited February 2015 in Meditation

As you may know, some Buddhists are entranced by nuns, yoga nidra, my little pony samsara toys, Dukkha overload, meditation, HH The Daily Lama etc

However meditation is not trance. Trance is useful, healing for sure. Does it have a place in your repertoire of Dukkha Dealing Dharma?

Me yes.

. . . Going deeper . . .

. . . and wide awake . . . how was it for you? B)

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Trance: a half-conscious state characterized by an absence of response to external stimuli, typically as induced by hypnosis or entered by a medium.

Really, what's your point, @lobster?

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Maybe he's subtly suggesting a group trance?

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Isn't trance a type of modern music that they play in those dreadful night clubs, all those young people taking drugs? Shameful. ;)

• Hypnotic trance is healing, I often notice that people 'meditating' have in fact entered a light trance. Yoga nidra and led meditations are often forms of trance induction as are many empowerments. Nothing wrong with that if helpful.

It helps me on occasion. Just asking if others use, avoid or think they are not in a trance?

I'm still not sure what a trance is like? Could you try and describe it a bit more? What would it be like as a meditative state?

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

If the commonly-referred to "zoning out" is a trance, then I spent a lot of my time in Trance-ilvania! :p

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2015

I have never experienced a trance in meditation over a period of 17 years. I assume it depends or is cultivated by the method used?

• howhow Veteran Veteran

@Lobster

Them be sparring words fer sure.

In my world, when meditation becomes trance like, I stop calling it meditation.

Concentration** can** become closer to a trance state which is one of the reasons that this spoke of the 8FP also has a "right" designation connected with it to differentiate from a potential trance state.

Is the dream that the Buddha exhorted his followers to awaken from not simply identity's trance.

I am not saying that it does not have it's place within the checks and balances of a Shaman's practice...Just not one that the Buddha appeared to have backed.

lobster
  • @SpinyNorman said:
    I'm still not sure what a trance is like? Could you try and describe it a bit more? What would it be like as a meditative state?

As @how and others point out, it is NOT Buddhist meditation. However people entering and leaving meditation are often entering altered states of consciousness, including light trance.

You don't enter and leave meditation. That is affectation, trance, sitting with purpose, concentration, mind games etc.

Hypnosis and trance work is useful and I provided an example. What is it like?

• a suggestible state that gives access to the subconscious
    • a dreamy, calm, relaxed condition where the brain wave pattern is altered
    • a healing modality used for pain relief, altering behavioural traits, reinforcing positive loops etc

o:)

So like deep relaxation?

• There are degrees of trance, many induction techniques are based around relaxation.

I would suggest that many meditators enter trance states. These states are relaxing, sometimes even euphoric, with long term subtle improvements, people think they are on the right path. Maybe it is useful incentive . . .

It is similar to how painful sitting releases endorphins. People are engaged in a subtle form of self induced sado-masochism, again this makes a fun hobby for those so inclined but is it likely to lead to Buddhist emancipation . . . B)