Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

what is your favourite sport?

NamadaNamada Veteran
edited March 2015 in Buddhism Basics

Hi :)

I have always trained some kind of sport, since I could walk,
first soccer, in 23 years, and now I started from scratch as a white belt in Brazilain Jiu Jitsu.
I got beaten up by girls, but anyway it was fun.

What kind of sport do you prefer? and are you still active?

Nerima

Comments

• NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited February 2015

Jiu Jitsu was practiced by Buddhist monks before :)
    Not so much today maybe ...(?)

History Jiu jitsu

Some historians of Jiu-Jitsu say that the origins of “the gentle art” can be traced back to India, where it was practiced by Buddhist Monks. Concerned with self-defense, these monks created techniques based upon principles of balance and leverage, and a system of manipulating the body in a manner where one could avoid relying upon strength or weapons. With the expansion of Buddhism, Jiu-Jitsu spread from Southeast Asia to China,

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

I used to love playing golf until my chiropractor said it might not be advisable.

• I tried golf one time, it was very difficult! I didnt even manage to hit the ball every time...here I live its a lot of wind and rain so its not possible to play much golf unfortunatly.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

always active, though it's changed some. I grew up bmx bike racing, doing gymnastics, running and playing volleyball. Now I mostly do hiking, skiing/snowboarding, snowshoeing and yoga. I am a little more low key, because I dislocated my knee bowling a couple years ago that resulted in a permanent injury. I enjoy playing and watching baseball with our family. I am more about physical exertion than mental concentration. Golf is the ultimate act of frustration for me! Though we have one of those little putting machines and that is kind of fun to play with.

Namadadantepw

I know what you mean about the frustration of golf. I was never great at it, just "decent". I was always getting beaten, although often by not very much. Then I began enjoying the game more by playing not against whoever I was on the course with, but playing against myself. Could I do better on that course than I had the last time? On the second 9 could I beat my score on the first 9? And the funny thing was, when I started playing against myself is when I started knowing I could, at least sometimes, beat whoever I was playing with.

BunksNamada
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    My favourite sport to watch would be either cricket or Australian Rules football. Haven't played either for nearly fifteen years!

I used to love road running but the old knees are knackered now so have hung up the runners. I just try and walk as much
    Kundo
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited February 2015

What is your favorite sport?
    hhmmm.

Anyone tolerating my trying behavior?

Kundo
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

I really enjoy cycling.... running just gave me a sore hip - in fact I've developed the early signs of arthrits, and have completely given it up! I'm off out tomorrow at 06:00 to do a 30 miler into the Kent countryside... It's mentally and physically therapeutic - especially when I overtake the guy in front who's got all the latest go faster gear. Doesn't happen often, but when it does - :smile:

@how said:
    What is your favorite sport?
    hhmmm.

Anyone tolerating my trying behavior?

I'm eligible for a gold medal in that event! ;)

Kundo
  • NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited February 2015

@anataman cycling is great, its more soft then running, but also hard training at the same time. Do you cycle offroad (mountain bike) or is it road cycling?

I dont like to cycle in middle of the road between all the cars, suddenly you are hit by one sleepy motorist, I was hit by a car one time and thats enough ;)

so I keep me on the pavement

• howhow Veteran Veteran

@vinlyn said:

double hmmmm.
    for your behavior or mine?

• @Bunks Australian Rules football for me this looks like american football just without alle the proctecion and helmets, much tougher.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited February 2015

"What's your favourite sport?"

"Buddhist baiting" and it can be quite dangerous at times, they can be very unpredictable :D

lobstersndymorn
  • for playing when I was in shape I liked soccer and tennis the most.

for watching on tv it is american college football

for playing nowadays hmmm... is eating pizza a sport??

• NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited March 2015

yes eating pizza is sport, pizza its also a vegetable

ShoshinlobsterJeffreysilver
  • @Namada said:
    I got beaten up by girls, but anyway it was fun.

I believe they have a book and film about that sport, '50 shades of black and blue'

Well film watching is clearly not a team sport . . . so have to pick something else . . . cooking is not allowed though there seems many competitive eating events . . .

LA Beast is still my favourite professional 'competitive eater' - only really watched this 'event'

Not really a sport but I like walking at the moment as my bike is ill.

JeffreyNamada
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@Bunks said:
    My favourite sport to watch would be either cricket or Australian Rules football. Haven't played either for nearly fifteen years!

Well after yesterday's performance by the Aussie cricket team against the Kiwis, is cricket still one of your favourites ? Just wondering @Bunks :D

• Rowan1980Rowan1980 Keeper of the Zoo Asheville, NC Veteran
    edited March 2015

I'll watch American football, baseball to a lesser extent, and curling. As far as actually DOING something, I prefer running. I'm as fast as Netscape Navigator on a 14.4 modem, but it's something.

NamadahowKundo
  • ToshTosh Veteran

Judo and boxing (light middleweight) when I was younger; not particularly spectacular at either. Also I was heavily involved with military competition shooting which I was good at.

Now I run - not very fast - but I do run long distances; currently training for my first ultra marathon.

lobsterRowan1980
  • NamadaNamada Veteran

@Tosh ultra marathon thats impressive! how long distances do you run every week?
    I also enjoy running but never runned a marathon before.

• ToshTosh Veteran

It varies, @Namada, but about 40 miles a week. Half of those miles are ran in one go on our 'SLR' (Saturday Long Run).

I've ran marathons, once I did a really tough off-road 'marathon' that was 28.2 miles (two miles longer than a marathon), but this will be my first Ultra (42 miles).

The training isn't any harder than marathon training; not really. It's about building up back-to-back long runs; and you're encouraged to walk and run too, so you're not absolutely knackered for your mid-week training.

For inspiration read 'Born to Run', for method I suggest 'Relentless Forward Progress'; we're following the 50 mile ultra training program. (Mrs Tosh is the real runner between us).

Being consistent with the training is my problem.

• NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited March 2015

so you almost run one marathon every saturday!

do you have any energy left for your job and other things?

I have read "born to run" very inspiring book, iam running almost everyday (but not 40 miles every week!) , maybe I will try one marathon, running is very addicting and you get fresh air at the same time :)

What is the name on this ultra marathon race you are going on?

I hope you and mrs Tosh will manage it!

Scott Jurek has a book that is excellent as well. He is from my neck of the woods and is one of the best ultra marathoners of all time. I love the sport of running. I am hoping to manage to carefully jog a half marathon next September, as it'll be the first marathon for my town, ever, and I'd really like to to jog/walk it. It'll go right by my house. So currently we are doing a lot of speed walking (no running just yet, our roads are way too icy and uneven to run on them).

• ToshTosh Veteran
    edited March 2015

@Namada said:
    so you almost run one marathon every saturday!

I recently did two 24 mile runs/walks. I tend to walk the uphills (and the route I go is very hilly, muddy and mostly off-road, and run the flat or downhills. Then the next day I did a 7 mile run, on tired legs.

Seriously, if you build it up gradually, it's not as tough as it sounds. It's more about 'time on feet' rather than speed.

I've read the Scott Jurek book too (Eat, Sleep, and Run). It was okay and he has a spiritual bent that goes towards Buddhism. He packed out the book with recipes though, which didn't really do much for me. A good book non-the-less.

There's a few groups of people who are 'spiritual runners', like the Japanese Marathon monks and the Taramahura. I also know an ultra runner who uses running as a means of transcending the self (she's from a Christian background).

It can be very 'Buddhist' though. You have the pain, you have the resistance to the pain, and you have the wanting to 'run' away from the pain (mentally; you're already running in a physical sense). Trying to get present three-hours into a long run, when you've got another hour-or-two to go can be testing.

lobsterNamadaRowan1980Buddhadragon
  • ToshTosh Veteran

@Namada said:

What is the name on this ultra marathon race you are going on?

The Brecon to Cardiff Ultra:

http://www.runwalkcrawl.co.uk/events/brecon-to-cardiff-ultra.html

My shins are playing me up though, so it looks like she's going to run that one and I'll be her support team. It's only really a niggle, but they need rested, so I'm not 100% sure yet. I don't want to break myself for the long term.

But I should be fine for the Gower 50 in October:

http://www.runwalkcrawl.co.uk/events/gower.html

I did the 28 mile race around the southern peninsular of the Gower and it's beautiful there.

BunksNamada
    edited March 2015

One of the first Buddhist books I read (before I was actually interested in Buddhism) was Zen and the Art of Running. Loved it. I really enjoy the Born to Run book as well, I really should read that again. Was so sad to see Micah True/Caballo Blanco died :( Though, the book made me a huge fan of five fingers shoes. Not for the running aspect as much but just for wearing. I have structural problems with my feet and they are the ONLY shoes that don't aggravate it. I love them. Certainly not for everyone though.

Chogyam Trungpa's son wrote a book about running and meditation. I haven't read it yet but it's on my list. It's really frustrating to have found that I love the sport of running not that long ago and now my ability to do it is limited, lol. I was in track in high school for a year, but I utterly hated it. I hate performing in a "center ring" kind of way. I would have done cross country running in a heart beat but it wasn't available at my school at the time. My son is an endurance athlete. He runs 8 months a year and skis (nordic) during the winter. He can go forever, and never gets tired.

ToshlobsterNamadaRowan1980
  • @nakazcid said:
    My favorite sport is surfing. Surfing the web, that is.

LOL
    I recently saw a piece about how professional video gaming is a 'sport'. They train, they have to remain fit and rested. Sharp reflexes, good diet, not just pizza vegetables. Fascinating. Top players have a lucrative career.

Today I tried out 3D VR glasses for the first time. Just a rather sedate fly through a city in a virtual quad copter platform. Felt queasy despite being seated and at no risk.

Can we visualise ourselves fit? There is for example some evidence that sports fans get a limited but noticeable cathartic work out just from watching sports . . .

The matrix has us . . .

The Buddha seems to have been a marathon walker . . .

• nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

@lobster said:
    Today I tried out 3D VR glasses for the first time.

I'm quite jealous. You see I have absolutely no stereoscopic depth perception. Yet, for some reason, when I put on 3D glasses and watch a 3D movie my depth perception mysteriously starts working. So a 3D movie seems more real than ... reality. It's quite strange, and I haven't found a good explanation yet.

• @nakazcid said: ^^^ see above

Fascinating. You would be an ideal candidate for reality enhancement glasses that superimpose a game reality on what we see, coming in the next few years.

In Buddha World, when we look around everyone is a Boddhisatva. Wow, come on Nintendo what are you waiting for?

. . . and now back to the sports . . .

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

@Namada said:
    anataman cycling is great, its more soft then running, but also hard training at the same time. Do you cycle offroad (mountain bike) or is it road cycling?

I dont like to cycle in middle of the road between all the cars, suddenly you are hit by one sleepy motorist, I was hit by a car one time and thats enough ;)

so I keep me on the pavement

I've been road cycling for almost 25 years in and around London - 3 road traffic accidents - worst resulted in a broken toe - got off lightly I suppose...

I don't agree with riding on pavements as you never know when a child might walk out in front of you, or a woman pushing a baby in a buggy doesn't see you because she's too involved in texting her best friend or lover...

Rowan1980

@Shoshin - I understand you don't follow cricket which is probably why you asked such a silly question? ;)

ShoshinToshKundo

@Namada said:
    Bunks Australian Rules football for me this looks like american football just without alle the proctecion and helmets, much tougher.

I understand what you're saying @Namada but in Aussie Rules we're taught to protect ourselves because there is no padding.

However, in NFL the guys use their heads as offensive weapons. Now that's crazy!!

• Yes us pizza experts maximize the airflow to the pepperoni! It's all about form and practice.

lobster
  • NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited March 2015

@anatman I live in a small town so cyling on pavements dosent matter, not so many people use them at same time, and its not like London.

I love hearing the differences in words in other countries :) I was initially confused about "pavements" because pavement is simply what we call anything that is black top-roads, outdoor basketball courts, even parking lots. Then I figured out pavements=sidewalks, lol. We don't even have sidewalks in my town! The next town over does, and it's not against the law to ride on them as like Namada, it's a small town. In another city we lived in, the bike cops would pull you over and give you a ticket for biking on the sidewalks...except they constantly biked on the sidewalks themselves. :anguished:

I do love to bike. I mostly do mountain biking on trails and not so much road riding. We have vary narrow shoulders on highways here and way too many booze cruisers (kids who like to drive around in their cars drinking and throwing the beer cans out the window) for me to trust they won't kill me. Some of the back roads aren't so bad, but the back gravel roads are what I prefer. I love my bike. I think if forced into a choice, I would give up my car before I gave up my bike.

@Jeffrey. Jared Hayne doesn't play Australian football. He plays rugby league. A game invented by the English.

Two completely different sports mate.
    Jeffrey
  • kokorokokoro Explorer

I've reacquainted myself with skateboarding, something I've only just started again after a 30+ year break.
    At 52 I'm back 'on board' now for about 2 years and love it.
    I ride mainly bowls and vert but skate in an 'old school' style which isn't really about tricks but more about carving and flow, similar to surfing (which I also do).
    This was something I got back into after my 50th Birthday when I re- united with old skate/surf buddies.
    Snowboard when I can ( and when finances permit)....so not that much

Bunks
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited March 2015

When I was young I was in an Army Reserve infantry battalion, we did a lot of shooting which I really enjoyed. One year I was on the team which went to the National Rifle Championship at Bisley, in the 7.62 SLR competition.

I admit it was great fun using all the infantry weapons!

SLR ( self-loading rife, an FN variant, quite accurate with training )
    SMG ( sub-machine gun, couldn't hit anything with it! )
    Pistol ( Browning 9mm, again couldn't hit anything even with a 2-handed grip )
    GPMG ( general purpose machine gun, belt fed with a high cyclic rate, great for suppressing fire but not all that accurate )
    LMG ( light machine gun, a modern variant of the old BREN, and my favourite - they trained up to tap off very short bursts, just 3 or 4 rounds, I could get a 2 foot grouping from 600 yards doing that )

Years later I joined a rife club, but they were messing about with telescopic sights and taking ages to set up shots, which I quickly got bored with.

PS In case you're wondering, I was in the Army Reserve before I became a Buddhist!

edited March 2015

@Namada said:> Jiu Jitsu was practiced by Buddhist monks before :)

I did that for a while when I was younger, a very effective martial art, I never quite got the hang of the rolling falls though. I also did karate and aikido. I think I took the first couple of belts ( green and red? ) in karate but didn't bother with the others.
    More recently I did tai chi, but it was a very long form and I kept forgetting the moves!

• Rugby and Volleyball were my sports in my younger days when I had painless knees.

My wife and I recently picked up a couple handguns, as we are hoping that shooting targets at the range would be something enjoyable we can do together.

@Telly03 said:> My wife and I recently picked up a couple handguns, as we are hoping that shooting targets at the range would be something enjoyable we can do together.

Sounds good, I wouldn't mind doing that, maybe one of those big magnums like Dirty Harry used. ;)

• @SpinyNorman said:

LOL, I don't want to scare the Mrs, so we starting with a .22 cal, then maybe 9mm if we are still having fun... no reason to go larger than that if the only reason for the gun is to practice shooting holes in paper targets.

A .22 sounds much more sensible, the kick from bigger handguns is quite serious, not at all like in the movies! Though actually I've never used a modern 9mm so maybe they are better designed now? The Browning 9mm was a real beast, I think basically the same as WW2 US issue.

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

I can't hit a golf ball for the life of me so that's out.
    Not into roundballing or footballing, either. My boss - she was a solid Lakers fan...
    If it has anything to do with horses, I'm there - jumping, dressage, endurance, pleasure, it's all awesome. My dad used to take us kids out to the toolies to target-practice with his .9mm Luger, all the men had .22's for deer hunting. If I ever shoot a double-barreled shotgun again, I'll be sure my shoulder has padding...I still remember the pain! :3

I do target shooting with my sons, though we mostly do bow and arrow these days, cheaper overall and no special permits needed, lol. We do have rifles and so some target shooting sometimes with those.
    When I was growing up, I learned to shoot all sorts of guns, my favorite was a .44 magnum that belonged to my grandpa. My dad had to stand behind me so it wouldn't knock me over. We also learned gun safety in school (and brought our guns to school with us for it). Goodness things have changed. My dad always made a point to have us shoot melons or pumpkins and said "The gun will do that to your head, too, or the head of your best friend. They aren't toys."

@silver said: If I ever shoot a double-barrelled shotgun again, I'll be sure my shoulder has padding...I still remember the pain! :3

I've never had a go on shotgun. Are the modern ones just as bad on recoil?

@karasti said:, my favorite was a .44 magnum that belonged to my grandpa.

Was that the same as Dirty Harry used? I bet the kick was big on that!