Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A few Meditation Techniques

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran

Here are just a few different meditation techniques for those interested....Bearing in mind "All roads 'are meant to' lead to Rome" (Well eventually)

Zazen

Samadhi

SN Goenka introduces Vipassana meditation

Lama Surya Das “Dzogchen”

Earthninja

Comments

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Another take on practicing Zazen

• ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran

A series of short videos on meditation by Ajahn Jayasaro of the Thai Forest Tradition.

https://vimeo.com/album/180330

EarthninjaShoshin
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

My favourite monk-comedian:

NichynakazcidShoshin
  • Too much mind bubbling, not enough bubbles . . .

Here is my plan . . . Bubble Meditation . . . <3
    http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-5358/The-Bubble-Meditation-Yes-Real-Bubbles.html

Shoshin
  • ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran

A series of videos on how to meditate by Yuttadhammo Bikkhu

ShoshinEarthninjaJeffrey
  • =)

I quite often adapt teachings to my own needs:

So for example, one pointed attention on a mantra can be more effective than breath counting at times.
    So I created a sequence of sounds that works as a focus in three ways, audible, low volume but audible, internal attention only. Speed of recitation, emotional fervour can be varied too.
    You may be more comfortable with traditional mantra :)

Recently rather than counting one to ten, I adapted a Shingon practice and internally visualised and focussed attention on each letter of the Roman alphabet in turn. I have done this twice spending several breaths on each letter. I estimate that one cycle probably takes forty to fifty minutes. The benefit? Early days. Will perhaps report back in future . . .
    Not really interested in Kanji but here is one form of the original basis . . .
    http://theidproject.org/blog/marcel-votlucka/2013/08/21/intro-ajikan-meditation-translation-ajikan-manual

Another technique is to develop an association with Mudra and more centered mind states. So for example if using 'finger counting' rather than mala counting just touching ones fingers together can center as easily as fingering a mala . . .

Rather than watching a wall or staring at a floor spot a more devotional staring at a Buddha image is meditative attention at times.

'The Cloak of Devachan' can be done whilst walking . . .
    . . . basically you visualise the Pureland Dewachan connected to and behind you, spreading its subtle being and bodhicitta like a giant cloak over where you have been . . . spread the luv . . .

_"Without going out of doors one may know the whole world; without looking out of the window, one may see the Way of Heaven. The further one travels, the less one may know. Thus it is that without moving you shall know; without looking you shall see; without doing you shall achieve." _(Lao Tse)

• @Lonely_Traveller the video you linked the monk looks almost exactly like my cousin. I've seen some of his before and liked him.

• @lobster that is consistent with what my teacher says that meditation instructions are just hints and that people vary. She also says that the essence of meditation is neither breath nor counting. I think that is a relation to meditation as a non-doing. For me it is a relief in my practice to know that it is all a process. Whatever I am doing now is just my best guess in a process that actually "I don't do anything". The penny will just drop. In the mean time we make all our best guesses and that too is part of the process.

howlobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited March 2015

@lobster that is consistent with what my teacher says that meditation instructions are just hints and that people vary. She also says that the essence of meditation is neither breath nor counting.

That is true BUT counting and breath methods can lead from focus/attention into awareness and perception. In others words they are complete in themselves, given time, practice, instruction etc.

Peoples needs are varied. So for example a standing meditation posture or qi ong movement can be ones practice. Listening to ones body. Loving ones God.

For most healthy people, meditation will involve being seated and still. How on earth will someone who is autistic, hyper active, in pain, seeing disturbing visions, craving drugs, completely unsettled etc. be expected to gain anything from such an instruction? It is unskilfull instruction.

However . . . led meditations, yoga nidra, trance work, physical posture meditations might be useful.

Martial artist? Competitive? One minute meditation challenge . . .

Not for you? LOL

The more gentle tree huggers version . . .

Jeffrey
  • yes

lobster
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Walking Meditation TNH

lobster
  • Could not find anything on lama speed walking, which might be useful for some.

Walking techniques outdoors might need modifying. I walk quite fast and often play Amitaba mantra through ipod. I have noticed some Christians on our local common (common grazing ground originally, most people would call it a park) using hands in front in a prayerful pose. Some people stroll with their hands behind their back, so that would be acceptable especially if accompanied by a dog.

Women in a city might prefer slow jogging pace. It depends . . . I used to love jogging on the wii but it was rather unrealistic, fun though.

I have also done incredibly slow walking meditation, which I personally found the most relaxing. About four steps a minute. So that is like very slow tai chi walking.

Walking meditation is not 'second class' meditation. It is a complete practice in itself. Breath gently. Walk without wobble.

Wobbling and stumbling is an advanced speechless transmission through action that is not appropriate in this discussion.

. . . must be tea time meditation . . .

ShoshinKotishka
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited February 2021

• I'm actually sort of doing walking meditation everyday by going around the Weissensee mindfully. The best hours are before 7 am.

I have watched the video of the German man (San Bao). Very eye opening (6:09). I will go to meditate and study. Thank you @lobster . Hopefully "see you" soon at the NB Zen sessions ;)

• @lobster said:

. . . must be tea time meditation . . .

After my morning jolk I relax with a nice cup of Oooooolong tea
    My senses appreciate smell and taste, very grateful for leaf🌿 and bee🍯.

lobster