Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

An Interesting Puzzle...

Will_BakerWill_Baker Vermont Veteran

I had a business meeting yesterday afternoon. On the drive home I felt rather odd yet I remained mindful. This odd feeling lasted until I went to sleep and was with me in the morning. I meditated on it, figured it out and thought I'd share.

It is my experience that the act of "watching" (read: identifying) emotions come allows them to go. But in this instance, this odd feeling actually turned out to be a mixture of frustration, anger and impatience almost all in equal measure. As I watched my thoughts, none of these emotions rose to a prime level. But, rather they all combined into a sort of soup that was quite indiscernible. As soon as I figured out what was going on, I laughed, the feeling vanished and that was that...

ShoshinHamsaka

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

...Why 'puzzle'....?

• Will_BakerWill_Baker Vermont Veteran

The puzzle for me was in identifying what (the emotions) I was dealing with. It wasn't a case of, "wow I'm angry and frustrated and a little impatient." It was a case of "I'm feeling odd." After meditating on it, the "odd" feeling turned out to be a conglomeration of anger/frustration/impatience. For me, if, for example, anger arises in the space of my mind, I note its presence and watch it, and in doing so, it usually goes away. However, until this little puzzle was solved, the odd feeling remained...

ShoshinHamsaka
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I get you now... I had a similar experience on Sunday Morning... a feeling of...'malaise', disquiet.... it eventually turned out to be frustration due to a situation I as involved in but had no control over.... Once I 'got' it, it subsided.....

Hamsaka
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I don't think that's uncommon, emotions often do get all muddled up like that. You could just note "conglomeration". ;)

@federica said:
    I get you now... I had a similar experience on Sunday Morning... a feeling of...'malaise', disquiet.... it eventually turned out to be frustration due to a situation I as involved in but had no control over.... Once I 'got' it, it subsided.....

-Yup, exactly; in this case it was the "getting it" part I had the problem with.

@SpinyNorman said:
    I don't think that's uncommon, emotions often do get all muddled up like that. You could just note "conglomeration". ;)

:-) Unfortunately, the little yellow man in my head requires specificity...

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    edited March 2015

Why is the little man in your head yellow @Will_Baker?

And a more pertinent questioning requires me in my quest, to ask you, for the sake of my understanding, why does his yellow mannishness demand something so specific?

...\lol/...

David
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

I thought maybe Homer Simpson is his alter ego or sumthin'. =)

ShoshinWill_Baker
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@silver said:

silver

@anataman said:
    Why is the little man in your head yellow Will_Baker?

And a more pertinent questioning requires me in my quest, to ask you, for the sake of my understanding, why does his yellow mannishness demand something so specific?

...\lol/...

-We'll have to ask the Kinks why the little fellow is male and yellow ;-)

As to the specificity question: for me, the more specific my observation is of it, the more detached from the emotion I become.

@silver said:

:-)

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    edited March 2015

My cousin was a real punk... The Kinks...

For those who don't get it or who may not get the reference:

@Will_Baker said:As to the specificity question: for me, the more specific my observation is of it, the more detached from the emotion I become.

Yes, that does seem to be the effect of mindfulness. I think of it as putting some space around the emotion, it gives a bigger perspective.

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    edited March 2015

@SpinyNorman said:

That points to a better process of mindfulness and detachment than 'big f* cking gnarly volcanic magma-bursting-through-the-surface f* cking nightmare please-kill-me".

That made me clench my teeth. Aren't words funny....?

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

Yeah, it makes me clench mine too, which is my first clue there's a metric ton of SELF ME ME ME getting in the way!

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Puzzle soup
    edited March 2015

@ourself said:
    Puzzle soup

-With a side of Dukkha...

And Dhamma peas with fried onions...

Namo tassa, bhaji biryani podadum....

federica