Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is a permanent state of equanimity desirable?

Hello everybody. From what I've read, a person filled with equanimity will feel sympathetic joy when seeing a happy being, compassion when seeing a suffering being and friendliness when seeing any being. According to the Dalai Lama, a person filled with equanimity also cannot distinguish between friends and enemies. Is that a good thing? If someone is out to get you, is it really a good thing to not be able to realize that?

Thanks.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

You're confusing equanimity with being a doormat.

Nothing could be further from the truth.
    If someone's out to get you - avoid it and do what you can to not be got.
    But that should not stand in the way of developing the 4 Sublime States.

dantepwlobster
  • nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

To me, equanimity is all about being unperturbed regardless of whatever happens to you. While one who is enlightened might display some of the qualities you mention, AFAIK that's not equanimity. It comes from not being attached to or repulsed by the experiences one has. At least that's my poor understanding of it. The promise of equanimity is also one of the main reasons I practice Buddhism.

dantepwrohit
  • nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran
    edited March 2015

@Rodrigo said:
    Even when someone I have helped,
    Or in whom I have placed great hopes
    Mistreats me very unjustly,
    I will view that person as a true spiritual teacher.

Similar teachings, and practicing metta bhavana, helped me greatly on my last job, where one co-worker did her best to make my life miserable. By practicing metta towards her, and realize how much suffering she must be experiencing, I was able to deepen my practice and feel more joyful in the process, despite having a lousy job. Eventually I was laid off that job (I think in part thanks to her influence), but overcoming my suffering was a great help to me spiritually.

Rodrigodantepwboobysattva
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran
    Equanimity is not the state of not feeling anything including fear etc.
    These reactions are normal, but being equanimous you would have inner peace.
    So although your emotions may be raging you are aware they are not you. Therefore have no bite to them.

The distinguishing enemies thing may be true as far as your view of them. As one play of existence. I would have to say you would still avoid someone out to get you.

Goenka who repeats awareness and equanimity in do many of his talks, he maintains we are not vegetables waiting to be cut.
    lobstermmoZenshin
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    It's probably only desirable until we have it then it's just how it is.

Distinguishing between those wishing harm and those showing true compassion is not the same as distinguishing friend from enemy.

Personally, I have no enemies. If somebody sees me as an enemy, that is their problem, not mine. Even if I must defend against their blows, I don't stop knowing that they attack from a place of suffering.
  • @followthepath said:

Hello everybody. From what I've read, a person filled with equanimity will feel sympathetic joy when seeing a happy being, compassion when seeing a suffering being and friendliness when seeing any being. According to the Dalai Lama, a person filled with equanimity also cannot distinguish between friends and enemies. Is that a good thing? If someone is out to get you, is it really a good thing to not be able to realize that?

Thanks.

All you have read is true.

The Dalai Lama does distinguish, discern and is well aware of his friends and enemies. Ignorance, whether internal or external is always an 'enemy'.

The biggest 'out to get us' [shock revelation coming up] is ourselves (did you guess) . . .

For your info:
    When visiting enemy states such as the hell realms, decapitation of unskilfull arisings is allowed. Which strangely enough does not excuse or promote ISIS jihad lawlessness, western imperialism or other branches of SPECTRE (Special Executive for Counter-intelligence, Terrorism, Revenge and Extortion) such as the 'banking system' ;)

Fill yourself with equanimity and 'increase in love' as the Sufis advise by all means. That is my plan . . . <3

BeejHamsaka
  • Thanks so much everyone! Especially seeker242. Your response really helped me out.

lobsterdantepwZenshin
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Yes @seeker242, the tiger scenario was spot on.

I don't think I've heard it put that way before and it captures the essence beautifully.
    dantepw
  • Is a permanent state of equanimity desirable?

To me it is because jealousy, hate, and greed are undesirable states of mind. Not sure if there is anyone out there who enjoys those feelings though.

VictoriousZenshinBuddhadragon
  • I think permanent equanimity is identical with enlightenment. But it is a matter of discussion what 'equanimity' means.

VictoriousZenshinBuddhadragon
  • @followthepath said:

Thanks.

For an awakened being, there is no one to get. He is beyond all fear or need to protect.

VictoriousZenshin
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

According to the Dalai Lama, a person filled with equanimity also cannot distinguish between friends and enemies. If someone is out to get you, is it really a good thing to not be able to realize that?

"Is a permanent state of equanimity desirable?"

Have you ever asked your self what it would be like to be in a permanent state of equanimity ?

From what I gather one would only see the suffering of others, in whatever form their suffering takes...A person out to get you no doubt is also suffering, so compassion in whatever form it takes, would be an appropriate response...

Zenshin
  • @followthepath said:

Thanks.

Is that a good thing?

Please tell us . . . here is the answer generator:

Making a welcome return (for some) is the equanimity generator. Mr Calm himself, The Squashed One, beneath us all . . . Mr Cushion!

dantepw
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran

Once you have achieved this, you will know the answer. That's the great thing about Buddhism. It is an exploration, and the learning is not through words but through your own experience.
    Now ... do you think the Dalai Lama is a doormat? Observe the monks, observe your teachers .. the ones you have actual contact with. They are part of your learning processes.

JeffreyZenshin
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Equanimity is jolly good and really just good manners, those were invented by an English gentleman around the same time as steam engines, cucumber sandwiches and cricket.

lobsterZenshin
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Croquet. Don't forget Croquet.
    Played by a certain and increasingly-rare type.

The Gentlemen wear white linen flannels, striped jackets, boaters and sport neat handlebar moustaches, and their vocabulary consists of "I say!" "What?!", "Jolly Good Show" and "Beastly Rotter!"
    The ladies generally wear gauzy, floaty pastel frocks with handkerchief hems, floppy sun hats and lace gloves. They hardly ever speak, but giggle a lot.

lobsterZenshin
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Indeed, and it's all very top hole. As previously discussed the Buddha was also an English gentleman sent to pacify the natives, part of a grand master plan which included Horatio Hornblower and Lawrence of Arabia.

lobsterZenshin
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2015

Oh my goodness! and I promise, I have never seen that clip - but they're clad in exactly the way I described....!
    I'm going to have to lie down in a dark room for a while....! :D

Zenshin
  • I would love to be in a permanent state of equanimity and spend all my time exploring out of this world life :)