Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How to start in Buddhism?

Greetings!
I would like to ask how to get started in Buddhism, which books to read or practices do?
In my country (Venezuela, South America) I know of no Buddhist sangha, there is only one group of Tibetan Buddhism and seems more a franchise to make money a spiritual group, hope you can help me.

Earthninja

Comments

• start a meditation practice. there are a lot of youtube videos. try different ones as you understand. Buddhism every particle of Buddhism has to do with meditation because meditation is sight of the mind.

Talis
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

I wouldn't really trust You Tube for something like this, unless the vid is by a recognized adherent. I would rely on doing a little reading first, even if online (again using recognized sources), that emphasize no particular school of Buddhism...unless there is a particular school of Buddhism which interests you. Once you identify such a school, then you can concentrate your focus.

JeffreyEarthninja
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran
    Hello and welcome! I discovered Buddhism sort of by myself.

I initially read one book from every school to get an idea the differences between them. Find what works for you and resonates within you.

I read Suzuki- Beginners mind (zen)
    Read Geshye Kyatso (Path of compassion) I think?! It's Tibetan.
    Read Buddhism without beliefs - non religious western point of view.
    Read a Still Forest Pool ( Ajaan Chah) Thai forest (therevadin )
    Another couple I can't remember the names at the moment.

Get yourself familiar with the similarities and differences in the schools. Even google them. Find the style that sounds good to you.

The main foundations that all schools agree on. Learn those.

Four noble truths. (Learn the basics)
    Learn to meditate. Anapanasati and Vipassana and mindfulness is what I do.

Then enjoy the ride, life will lead you down the path you need to be on. All the information is out there. :)

There is no ONE way or ONE book. :)
    Nichystacey
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2015

I like Earthninja books

I liked

Kathleen McDonald - How to Meditate
    Bhante Henepola Gunaratana - Minfulness in Plain English

Those both give instructions for meditation including posture

EarthninjaRowan1980
  • bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

I highly recommend reading the first discourse of the Buddha called Dhammacakkapavattana Sutta, and then the second discourse called the Anatta lakkhana Sutta, really take the time to contemplate them, especially second discourse. You can find the two discourses on links below.

http://www.budsas.org/ebud/ebsut001.htm

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn22/sn22.059.nymo.html

BuddhadragonTheswingisyellow
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Hello @OrionVachin - One book did it for me, once I became interested in learning more about Buddha and Buddhism from a non-dual forum after poking around on the internet: THN's Old Path White Clouds, it tells the Buddha's life story and it does so, in a most enchanting and rational way. I read the library's copy through twice, and then had to have my own, ordered it from Amazon.

primrose
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Hola @OrionVachin
    Buddhist groups in Venezuela...Hope this helps...
    http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/country.php?country_id=15

• Hello @OrionVachin and welcome!

First, I would like to say that this is the way I started. This is very subjective, so please take this with a grain of salt.

I feel that studying Buddhism is first a personal experience and you will intuitively know which tradition suits you best after reading and practicing a few of them. It will sound like a cliche, but you will just know which one is the best for you when you find it. After alternating between Theravada and Zen, I found Zen to be the best form for me, and to be even more specific Thich Nhat Hanh's teaching and his ideas about "Engaged Buddhism".

The thing is that even after you find what suits you, you should be curious about the other Buddhist ways. There is a lot of wisdom and beauty in each and every one of them. In the end, they are all just different paths to the same destination.
    EarthninjasilverBunks
  • TalisTalis Explorer

@OrionVachin said:
    Greetings!
    I would like to ask how to get started in Buddhism, which books to read or practices do?
    In my country (Venezuela, South America) I know of no Buddhist sangha, there is only one group of Tibetan Buddhism and seems more a franchise to make money a spiritual group, hope you can help me.

Hi Orion, . Have you had a look at: Samye Ling Tibetan Centre? I am currently on yr3 of Dharmacharya Ken Holmes 3 yr distance learning course ( http://www.calm-and-clear.eu/nangi.html ) I can vouch for both him as a teacher and a person. He also has a lot of very good instructions on Youtube. As for practice start off at a pace that suits you & your circumstances. I generally do 30-40 mins Meditation & prayers in the am, use a mindfulness app throughout the day to centre myself & then in the eve depending how I'm doing 30mins meditation or mantra recitation with a mala. As many more knowledgeable people than I have said, "Practice is a subject that reaches further than the cushion" ie constant examination of mind throughout the day. Wishing you well in your search.

adele
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

@OrionVachin

Some broad based study is the usual place to start. Here you will start to find out what does makes sense for you and what doesn't. You have different teachers/ traditions/ schools and practices to flesh out. If you are prepared to both keep an open mind and question everything then poor teachers, good teachers, like poor books & good books will all aid in that fleshing out process.

vinlynlobsterfederica
  • Thanks for your answers, most Buddhist groups have contacted here are inactives, in my city are only two Tibetan groups (Karma Thegsum Choling, Karma Kagyu Diamond way and Sokka Gakkai) The first two membership is expensive, more like religious franchises to make money and last (Sokka Gakkai) I see little serious, more a new age online.
    I will continue investigating on my own alone.

Earthninja
  • I will continue investigating on my own alone.

Welcome to rhino land
    http://www.hermitary.com/solitude/rhinoceros.html

We praise companionship
    -- yes!
    Those on a par, or better,
    should be chosen as friends.
    If they are not to be found,
    living faultlessly,
    wander alone
    like a rhinoceros.

bookworm0student0
  • dantepwdantepw Veteran
    edited March 2015

Hello very good friend! I got started into buddhism with a very kind, funny and wise monk called Ajahn Brahm.

He is the spiritual leader of Buddhist Society in Australia and they record/upload videos to their youtube account ( youtube.com/user/BuddhistSocietyWA ) approaching many common topics related to our daily lives.

One I would highly recommend is this one:

It talks about why be kind/generous. It is a very beautiful talk. If you feel like discussing about buddhism and/or other topics be sure to send me a message, I am always around! :)

peace!

NichyEliz
  • NichyNichy Explorer

@dantepw said:
    Hello very good friend! I got started into buddhism with a very kind, funny and wise monk called Ajahn Brahm.

I followed his youtube as well and this is one of my favorite Buddhist book
    Who Ordered This Trunkload Dung. very insightful

amazon.com/Who-Ordered-This-Truckload-Dung/dp/0861712781/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427472284&sr=8-1&keywords=Ajahn+Brahm

dantepwEliz
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@silver said:
    Hello OrionVachin - One book did it for me, once I became interested in learning more about Buddha and Buddhism from a non-dual forum after poking around on the internet: THN's Old Path White Clouds, it tells the Buddha's life story and it does so, in a most enchanting and rational way. I read the library's copy through twice, and then had to have my own, ordered it from Amazon.

Thank you @silver. I found Old Path White Clouds as a pdf online. A wonderful read! Just what I've been looking for.

David
  • reb1220reb1220 Explorer

Take your time. Don't try to learn everything at once, you don't have to learn everything at once. One step at a time is good enough. Buddhanet is a good resource, good teachings, the suttas, and they represent multiple schools. the 4 noble truths are a good place to start, and move on from there.
    I am new as well, and have found that Buddhism is a ocean, of ways, disciplines, and knowledge. I am starting at the beginning, the first discourse, and moving from there.
    Also, take time to simply sit, and meditate. At first, just concentrate on breathing, letting the mind go, and letting go of the days troubles. Nothing big, nothing monumental, just a little each day. As you grow comfortable with it, extend the time, bit by bit.
    I am no expert by any means, but what I am personally finding is that it is more of a journey than a rigid discipline. On a journey, some fly, some drive, some bike, some walk. Me, I crawl lol.
    Just enjoy the journey! And learn from it.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited May 2015

@dantepw said:> Hello very good friend! I got started into buddhism with a very kind, funny and wise monk called Ajahn Brahm.

He's my favourite stand-up comedian monk. ;)

Very good on meditation.

Walkerdantepw
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@OrionVachin said: Greetings!
    I would like to ask how to get started in Buddhism....

Quan, Mu, Free, go!

• CinorjerCinorjer Veteran

@OrionVachin said:
    Greetings!

What aspect of Buddhism attracted you to it, that you'd like to put some effort into practicing it? That can help us point you to some online website and teachings.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2015

the material to read or listen to is never ending. at the same time if you just meditate you get off the cushion and you don't know any dharma.

Sano's Lute strings. Not too loose or too tight.

lobster
  • I too have been really attracted to the teachings of Ajahn Brahm. I have watched a few youtube dhamma talks.

• It matters less how you start, than the fact you have started. Just start. You'll work it out.

• @OrionVachin said:
    Greetings!

A good place to start is right where you're at. I mean here on newbuddhist, not in the Zen meaning, although that holds true, also. All these people here are helpful. You have a question about something, ask away. Welcome to the Dharma.

VastmindSteve_B
This discussion has been closed.