Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

insight Timer App

Hello everyone i just started using insignt Timer App again, and i was wondering any of you using this app and if our group is in it?

Comments

• I use it and like it a lot.

Nichy
  • Rowan1980Rowan1980 Keeper of the Zoo Asheville, NC Veteran
    I use it daily.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

For those of us completely out of the loop, is this some kind of gizmo that nudges you every time it decides you've had an insight ... or is it an egg time with frills ... or ... what?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

All of the above..... :D

NerimaRowan1980NichyKundo
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2015

@genkaku it has a timer and you can try various bells and number of bells and set the time to go. It also has a feature of 'groups' you can join and post spiritual messages or just see when they meditated. I am a member of two groups. Also shows how many people are meditating in the world with the app at the time you are and sometimes people say 'thanks for meditating with me' which I like the feeling of that. It also has stats: bar graph for days, weeks, and months. Also pie graph to see what day of week you meditate to see trends. Also 'milestones' such as days in a row or total days and you get stars for the milestones you earn and they appear by your name! Finally a good library of guided meditations. It is available on iPhone and probably android. Also available on a website for home computer but I don't know how that is set up and what features. Nothing about insights!

• DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran

I DO!:) LeonBasin - Practice together.

• NerimaNerima Veteran
    edited March 2015

I have HeadSpace. It's a meditation app created by a Buddhist. Love it.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    I guess I just google "insight timer app?
  • I think so @ourself.. I have gone to the website to invite people in my sangha to our group. I haven't tested the website to see if it is the same features as the phone.

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Thanks for all the hand-holding explanations. Maybe I'll try it ... in another incarnation. :)

Nichy
  • NichyNichy Explorer

@ourself said:
    I guess I just google "insight timer app?

just to go to your play store and type insight timer

• It´s a great app, I belong to the group "gay men meditating", great virtual meeting point for meditators

Rowan1980
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@indiia said:
    It´s a great app, I belong to the group "gay men meditating", great virtual meeting point for meditators

Goodness! 7 visits in 5 years! We really must stop meeting like this! :lol:
    Thank you for popping back in! <3

Buddhadragon
  • I've started using it a couple of weeks ago, and it has helped me keep a (somewhat) strict meditation schedule. :)
    Nichylobster
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran
    Yes, I use it every day.
    We had a thread about it a couple of months ago.
    I think it's fantastic.
    I'm not a gizmo girl, but with Insight I'm a believer.

I still can't get the knack of the social part, though, and have collected 75 friends in 74 days using the app.
    I woke up today to three friend requests from one man in Canada, another in Australia and another in America.

I guess I'll have to paste a photo with hubby and son on my profile...
    ToshdantepwMigyur
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited March 2015

@DhammaDragon said:
    I think it's fantastic

Glad it is working for you. I may use again for bit of discipline. An app that helps you practice is just another 'trick'. Not perfect but skilful.

For those who require an online Zendo remember . . .
    http://www.treeleaf.org

If you have a smart phone or tablet or iwatch, just set to gong after (insert reasonable time)

I have two watches given as presents, that vibrate gently on the wrist after a set time, which I never use but a useful possibility for some who require silent alarms.

. . . if so inclined, program your own tools . . .

Begin 

Start
    Sit on cushion. Calm Mind.
    GOTO Start

End

WonderingSeekerNichy

@tibellus said:
    I've started using it a couple of weeks ago, and it has helped me keep a (somewhat) strict meditation schedule.

I have also noticed that since I have the app, I am more disciplined about my meditation.
    It used to be very haphazard before.
    I had been considering buying a zen timer before the app, but now I have it in the app.
    We can choose different Tibetan bowl bells, how many, the interval period, the length of the ring... could not be more perfect.

Migyur

What annoys me is that it's apparently a 'free' app, but if you want to do ANYTHING different with it, it requires an upgrade, which costs money.
    So I have downloaded the bare minimum basic, but as yet, haven't used it, because I can't do with it, what I want to do with it....

Think I'll just uninstall, frankly. :angry::unamused:

@federica said:
    What annoys me is that it's apparently a 'free' app, but if you want to do ANYTHING different with it, it requires an upgrade, which costs money.
    So I have downloaded the bare minimum basic, but as yet, haven't used it, because I can't do with it, what I want to do with it....

The one that costs is Headspace, but Insight App not, Fede.
    There was just one upgrade and that's it.
    It costed me three Swiss francs and I have never had to pay anything else eversince.

Migyur

Well you must have a different Insight app to me, because every time I try to do anything with it, I get a message on the screen which states (and I quote, doing it now...)

"To unlock different bell strikes, upgrade now".

And it happens with other components too.

dantepwMigyur

...and

"Upgrade your app to unlock presets.
    Upgrade info. I Not now."

• @DhammaDragon One of the things that I like is the fact that you see how many people are meditating at the same time. I've been using the free version, so I only have the kangse and the woodblocks. Really love the sound of the Tibetan bowl bells. :pleased:

@federica Is this the app: https://insighttimer.com ? It's a little bit annoying at first, they aren't signaling in any way what features are free/premium. I got used to the interface after a while, and I don't think I'll ever use anything else than the free version, I'm satisfied with what it's offering right now.

Buddhadragon

yes. I've uninstalled it and installed a completely different, free, plain, simple, no nonsense version.

Well, I decided to upgrade because it was not expensive and I wanted a wider bell range choice.
    Here in Switzerland it was three Swiss francs tops, so I thought it was not a bad idea.
    I post a lot of comments, use the timer a lot, exchange messages, and whatever I do, nobody bothers me with any onscreen message.
    So I guess the upgrade is a one off and that's much it.

Headspace, instead, has a beautiful design, but one has to pay a monthly, annual or bi-annual subscription. And is by far, more expensive.

NichyMigyur
  • I use it every day the past 3 months and the upgrade cost 3 dollars so 1 dollar per month so far!

Nichy
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited March 2015

@Nichy said:
    Hello everyone i just started using insignt Timer App again, and i was wondering any of you using this app and if our group is in it?

I feel the need for a badge coming on. Forgive me Buddha I have sinned. :p I will download and use for ten days or so. Keep an eye on me, I needz that badge. o:)
    https://insighttimer.com

I iz Buddhist, don't ya know . . .
    Gonna be so Holy . . . or not . . .

Name: Lobster
    Goal: Badge or Nirvana, both acceptable . . .

Just did a minute guided meditation. (need to break myself in gently)

dantepwZenshinNichyMigyur
    All I know is that I used to wake up with the app showing me a tiny @lobster face meditating everyday, and all of a sudden the tiny face disappeared...
    That soooo broke my heart :(
    Rowan1980Migyur
  • @DhammaDragon said:
    That soooo broke my heart

I iz dharma heartbreaker! =)

Buddhadragondantepw

Now that I saw your little face again, I will sleep better at night =)

• Rowan1980Rowan1980 Keeper of the Zoo Asheville, NC Veteran
    @Tosh -That perfectly illustrates my morning meditation sessions during the workweek, when I'm up at 4am. :lol:
    ToshdantepwBuddhadragon
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@federica said: > Think I'll just uninstall, frankly. :angry::unamused:

I've been trying to uninstall my mind for some time... ;)

WonderingSeeker
  • Haha nice one @lobster ! Are you a coder as well? :)

That was funny @DhammaDragon ! Hahaha, indeed using a picture with your husband and son might decrease those excessive friend requests, hehe :)
    Buddhadragon

Well, I sneakily upgraded. It cost me just under £2.00 but now I have the whistles and bells...
    I am the least technical person here so let me just get used to the app before I start joining groups and stuff....,

Migyur
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited March 2015

@dantepw said:
    Haha nice one lobster ! Are you a coder as well?

I am not a very good coder but yes, mostly for Linux.

dantepw

@federica said:
    Well, I sneakily upgraded. It cost me just under £2.00 but now I have the whistles and bells...
    I am the least technical person here so let me just get used to the app before I start joining groups and stuff....,

The people on the site are really nice.

The first thing that shocked me, though, after a couple days of using the app, was the amount of people who suffer depression, or who get depressed, or who have a really tough time coping with life as it is.

There is a girl who almost every day or every two days tops, is asking for members spiritual support because -yes, once more, like yesterday, two days ago, three days ago- she feels depressed, and like meditation is not helping or not yielding results, and whenever she has the slightest problem, again back to square one.

I am not downplaying depression, but sometimes I find people crack under pressure way too soon, without really trusting the process of life, or letting things evolve naturally.
    Like, either life goes the way I want it to go, or I depress.
    I felt a bit overwhelmed at first.

• @DhammaDragon

What you said x1000 in my schizoaffective support group on Facebook. Some suffer unbelievably. I don't think it is their fault because it is brain chemistry that causes a lot of the problems. It can be a downward spiral as a lot of cognition is affected by meds. They might not understand techniques to improve such as Buddhism because they are suffering so much. For people who are well they are like "oh I felt so peaceful meditating.. I think I will read sutras about my true nature". For people who are ill "I felt absolutely horrible meditating.. how can I make my meditation 'good'". At first sight why didn't they read the book that said 'gaining mind' leads to suffering? At second glance they are suffering so much that every thought is about getting feeling better.

Buddhadragon

do we have a 'newbuddhist.com' group?
    Would it be nice to start one, do you all think...?

How would we do that...?

Buddhadragon
  • I've done it you use the website and somewhere make a group and then invite people by typing in their e-mails. You can set it so that people you invite can invite others so you can do it 'chain mail' style.

@federica said:
    do we have a 'newbuddhist.com' group?
    Would it be nice to start one, do you all think...?

How would we do that...?

This would be a fantastic idea!
    Anyone, @Jeffrey, @lobster, or @Tosh, know how to do it?

• Oh, God I feel for that little merecat. He was obviously the lookout for the tribe and struggling to stay awake and do his useless job. Reminds me of many nights in the military when I had to stay awake and guard a locked building from nothing.

edited March 2015

@DhammaDragon said:This would be a fantastic idea!
    Anyone, @Jeffrey, @lobster, or @Tosh, know how to do it?

Well, I just logged into 'Insight timer.com' and created a new group ('newbuddhist'), but I don't have anybody's emails to invite them.
    If anyone wants to join, send me a PM with your chosen emails, and I will send you all an invitation to join....

Nichy

Ok guys - look for the group called 'newbuddhist'. It's there, registered and you can join up as members under your own steam!

@DhammaDragon , @lobster , go into your app and search for a 'new group' called newbuddhist. We're all systems go!

ToshNichyBuddhadragon
    edited March 2015

My Meditation tonight will be dedicated to all those who are directly/indirectly connected to the tragic Germanwings Airbus plane crash that happened in the French alps yesterday.

(Yesterday was my daughter's birthday....)

We're all connected, really, aren't we....? :bawling:

NichyanatamanBuddhadragonMigyur
  • We are all connected to each other and into the universe. That's the reason I'm in this forum, too. Although I find myself as an incompatible particle.

We don't. :)

• PöljäPöljä Veteran
    edited March 2015

Want to connect? There is no particle that is not connected to another particles.

I think you mean 'more' ... don't you...? :tongue:

:star: