Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

24 hours in a day... How many do you waste ?

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran
edited April 2015 in Meditation

BE WARNED ! "THIS WILL NO DOUBT BE SEEN AS A GUILT TRIP BY SOME" ( OTHERS MIGHT JUST "ENJOY/WELCOME" THE TRIP ) :D

Time seems to be the sticking point for many when it comes to finding time to meditate....

Have you ever sat down and worked out how many hours you waste in an average day ?

Well here's 24 hours... knock yourselves out :D

After an average day= sleep, work/school/university, travelling (to and from), house work, shopping, cooking, leisure time, do you think you could spare a few minutes for meditation ?

Comments

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

How many hours do I waste? Well, let me tell you, I'm an expert at it! :naughty:

ShoshinBuddhadragondantepwmmo
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Of the 24, I imagine I waste about 25 ...

Nature is profligate, if you have not yet noticed, and I long ago decided it's not nice to contradict Mother Nature.

Shoshin
  • robotrobot Veteran

I don't know. Some people would consider meditation a waste of perfectly good drinking time. Others might think that drinking is time that could be better spent watching TV.
    Much of my time is spent doing things that others will never know about, and might consider to be a waste of time if they did.
    Like traveling. When you travel, a percentage of your time is spent sitting in airports and such. It could add up to days if it's a long trip with many stops. Is that time wasted or better spent getting a sun tan? Or working?

ShoshinDaltheJigsaw
  • What a waste...
    Shoshin
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

...\lol/...

• EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran
    It's about what's important to the person.
    If freedom is more Important to someone than say tv. You will naturally use that time to meditate etc.

There's no wasting time, we are never doing nothing. Life is always functioning. You choose the path.

I spend about 2 hours a day doing self inquiry/meditation but I'm trying to integrate this into car rides, washing, gardening.
    The hardest time is when talking to people.

It builds in momentum if it's more important than other things.
    Shoshin
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

Be warned. Some might find this thread messy. Others might not.

Shoshin
  • @ourself said:
    What if we set time aside to waste and are mindful about it?

Breathing in, I am aware I am wasting time
    Breathing out, I am quite content to do so.

LOL. Outstanding. Good mantra.

Funny how we can sit and chill. Pass time in idle reverie for most of a life. However when we make a commitment to just sit and chill, watch the time pass, the thoughts arise, the breath gently calm. What then?

We find danger, other more important TV programs, essential cleaning duties, another beer to stifle our unsettled mind etc.

... and there we sit in meditation or mindful avoidance?
    Go sit and waste.

Your post though perhaps thought as humorous is in fact the essence of being mindful and of meditation.

How wonderful <3

Time for me to formally waste some time on a cushion. I will sit. I will breath. Me and Buddha and not even Buddha come to think of it

Shoshin
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I once read, "Meditation makes sittin' on yo ass and doin' nuthin', respectable."

At the time, I found it funny.....

EarthninjaShoshinlobstersilver
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Would it be nice (less of an hassle for some) if meditation came in the form of a pill and one could just pop a 'chill pill' when they got up of a morning ?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2015

Cambridge Buddhist Centre, Thought for the Day:

"Beginning today, treat everyone you meet as if he or she were going to be dead by midnight. Extend to them all the care, kindness, and understanding you can muster, and do so with no thought of any rewards. Your life will never be the same again."

Og Mandino

EarthninjaShoshinBuddhadragon

@Earthninja
    "There's no wasting time, we are never doing nothing. Life is always functioning."

True...But it would seem that at times our 'thoughts' could be put to better use...

• EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran
    @Shoshin like what? Some would say, trying to save the planet, others would say enlightenment. Who is right? I think it appears to the mind that we should be doing XY or Z but I don't trust the mind anymore. :)

"At the end of the day, everything you have worked for will all fall apart,
    and all that will be left was what was in your heart"
    Shoshin
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Sometimes I feel like I'm wasting my time if I can't get the pile of Dharma books I have to read down.

I get angry at myself and borrow hours from the next day (1a.m. / 3 a.m.) to make up for my inability to set up priorities.

But then, I have not read but I have lived another day.
    I must have learnt something, somehow.

silverShoshin
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@DhammaDragon said:
    Sometimes I feel like I'm wasting my time if I can't get the pile of Dharma books I have to read down.

I get angry at myself and borrow hours from the next day (1a.m. / 3 a.m.) to make up for my inability to set up priorities.

But then, I have not read but I have lived another day.
    I must have learnt something, somehow.

Believe me, I know exactly how you feel! <3

Buddhadragon
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited April 2015

@Federica
    "Beginning today, treat everyone you meet as if (you), he or she were going to be dead by midnight. Extend to them all the care, kindness, and understanding you can muster, and do so with no thought of any rewards. Your life will never be the same again."

I like it but think we should extend this consideration to ourselves as well,

lobsterElizShoshinpommesetoranges

Well, you'll have to take that up with the author, but in my opinion, this is one time when we should forget about 'extending this consideration to ourselves as well' because that, to me, in this specific case, is just ego talking.
    Just for once, I'm happy to follow the suggestion and put me on a back-burner, and see to putting others first.
    After all, they may be dead in a short while...

Oh, and... the author already is.

edited April 2015

@Earthninja said:
    Shoshin like what? Some would say, trying to save the planet, others would say enlightenment. Who is right? I think it appears to the mind that we should be doing XY or Z but I don't trust the mind anymore.

"At the end of the day, everything you have worked for will all fall apart,
    and all that will be left was what was in your heart"

By channelling them in an wholesome way and if not wholesome at least a neutral way...

"The thought manifests as the word; The word manifests as the deed; The deed develops into habit; And habit hardens into character.” ( Not a quote by Buddha- but it does have a Buddhist feel to it) :)

• PöljäPöljä Veteran
    edited April 2015

All the hours you are sitting in your office are wasted. Or perhaps not some (most...) of the office hours you are surfing in the web are not so wasted.

Shoshin

@Pöljä said:
    All the hours you are sitting in your office are wasted. Or perhaps not some (most...) of the office hours you are surfing in the web are not so wasted.

Until the boss catches on to what you're doing :D

• Ummm, the boss is certainly doing something really...