Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Any questions? I'm here for you.

Hey, everyone.

My name is novicemonk41. I have been a Buddhist for many years and a regular at Buddhist monasteries. Typically, in the Thai and Tibetan tradition. If you have questions, please comment and I'll answer them for you.
mmomockeymindBunkspegembaraChrisv23charri

Comments

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Could you tell us what practice you're currently doing?

• @thenovicemonk41 said:
    Hey, everyone.

Hey B)
    Welcome

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Hi @thenovicemonk41. Welcome!
  • Thank you all! @SpinyNorman I pratice Tibetan Buddhism. :)
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran

To the OP what lineage?

• JohnMacJohnMac Dr Scotland Veteran

Great! Did you see my post from a few days ago about Lama Zopa Rinpoche and how to go about utilising the Namgyalma?

thenovicemonk41
  • I'm Gelug school, I train under two amazing tibetan teachers: Za Choeje Rinpoche and Ven. Thubten Chodron!
    Earthninja
  • @JohnMac I have not! But, I should! :)
  • JohnMacJohnMac Dr Scotland Veteran

Here it is: I've been reading and listening to the teachings of Lama Zopa Rinpoche. His teachings on compassion towards all things are particularly accessible to me, and resonate deeply. I have heard several interviews with him in which he states that the Namgyalma Mantra is anextremely powerful purification mantra, and brings much relief to all sentient beings. I am interested to hear if anyone uses the mantra in a regular basis, and the best way to incorporate it into a fairly elementary practice! Many thanks in advance, J

Earthninjathenovicemonk41
  • Is there a bible in Buddhism? :/
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@genkaku -- Would you mind if I shared your basic Buddhism outline elsewhere? That's really good.

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

@silver -- Feel free ... and stop being so polite :)

I figure anyone dumb enough to put anything on the Internet is issuing an open invitation.

silverVastmindlobsterBuddhadragon
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@genkaku said:
    silver -- Feel free ... and stop being so polite :)

I figure anyone dumb enough to put anything on the Internet is issuing an open invitation.

Alright already! :3

Good point.

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran
    @Chrisv23c: For the sake of synopsis, in "The Dhammapada" you will find the gist of the Buddha's teaching.
    It remains the most popular Buddhist book, though it is not representative of all the Schools and can in no way be called a bible.

You can also google "The sutta in 42 sections." It is a Mahayana sutta, which is in fact a compilation of the teachings the first Indian teachers brought to China and Japan and considered the core of the Buddhadharma.
  • How does showering/teeth brushing/etc happen in the monastery? Are you allowed to bath with warm water even if it is not necessary?

Warm water?! Sheer luxury!

dantepw
  • We were lucky, we were allowed a quick wipe down with an oily rag. Without the oil - or the rag.

For those unaware of Monty Python Dharma

Rowan1980oceancaldera207
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran

It is considered very negative karma to teach, unless YOUR teacher has assigned you the task of teaching.
    It is one thing to answer questions, but another thing to put yourself out there and ask others to come to you with questions .. is very egotistical and and against everything yo you are trying to do as a Buddhist.

Besides .. Buddhism is experiential in nature .. not intellectual and not understood with words.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

By the very virtue of what you say in your post, you have succumbed to the very problem you caution against.
    Your post smacks of Holier-Than-Thou patronising egoism.
    Right Speech not only consists of verbal content. It also includes manners.

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited May 2015

Manners?
    When I was growing up manners was just some social affliction fancy folks strutted out to put others in there place.

lobster
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

Hmph. At least you had social afflictions . . .

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@FoibleFull said:
    It is considered very negative karma to teach, unless YOUR teacher has assigned you the task of teaching.

You had a teacher? You were lucky! The most we had was a posting from an unverified source if we were lucky!

In YinYana Buddhism even the founder was not allowed to teach. This resulted in nobody learning anything. The results speak for themself ... For example this ideally should not exist ...
    http://yinyana.tumblr.com/day/2013/06/10

Bunks

You had unverified sources?! Sheer luxury, we never had sources, not even ketchup.

silverlobsterRowan1980Earthninja
  • How do i explain to someone that love is not possession obsession possessive or control.
    Please ☺

Start by saying that. ;)

• @FoibleFull said:
    It is one thing to answer questions, but another thing to put yourself out there and ask others to come to you with questions .. is very egotistical and and against everything yo you are trying to do as a Buddhist.

Besides .. Buddhism is experiential in nature .. not intellectual and not understood with words.

That particular rule has more to do with guarding the authority of the temple monks in a rigid hierarchy than any Precept. It's why, in the end, I refused to enter the path to getting Inka authority (official license to open my mouth in a temple) and went my own way. Not because I wanted to flap my lips, but because I refused to tell others to shut up and it drove me crazy the way none of the monks in the temple thought anyone had anything valid to say. Everyone has something to teach us, and that rigid adherence to the Eastern classroom discipline of "the student shuts up and listens to the teacher and don't you dare contradict the teacher!" is nothing but cultural baggage.

I do make sure to tell people I have no Inka authority and am only giving my own layperson's opinion and understanding, for what it's worth. But I enjoy listening and reading other people's thoughts even more.

lobsterRowan1980howzenff