Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Being present at difficult state of mind

My question in my mind recently was - how I could be mindful in the midst of difficulty, such as physical pain, anger, confusion and related state of mind. So far I was able to pass simple itch when meditating, i Just go back to breathing and the itch just simple goes away. With regards to pain, well I could again pay attention to may breath, but it only last of minutes, when I lost mindfulness of breath, the pain goes back. Same thing happens with anger and confusion.

Is there a mantra that can eliminate pain or discomfort while meditating? I don't know if I am doing it right. But I can't sustain the level of tranquility. My first mind reactivity is "I need to get out of this- or this not right" It is a trial and error, sometimes I win sometimes I lose. Can pain and mindfulness go together without losing it? Thanks.

Comments

• @how What noticed is that once I pay attention to the breath again- it is somehow more manageable -but it doesn't last long - like 5 mins but not longer. Hope to do progress by accepting unpleasant as they are. I do half lotus as posture, I will take a look on right sitting positions. Thanks for the advice.

• howhow Veteran Veteran

@Mockeymind

I think you could consider seeing/hearing/smelling/tasting/feeling & thinking about any pain arising to be just as much a part of your meditation as anything else.

Feelings of fear and a lack of acceptance for where you are just more phenomena to observe.

Few things can stifle a meditation practice like thinking that the meditation practice should be something......
    but the other question I have is what is this pain from?

Is this pain related to posture?

lobsterEliz
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

I may have missed that part but why do you feel pain during your meditation?
    Are you sitting in an uncomfortable position?

Basics: look for a position that works for you.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Yes. If it hurts, you're doing it wrong.
    I never sit in lotus or even half - lotus. Sometimes even sitting with my legs in any folded position gives me the most painful cramps.
    If it feels good, do it.
    When in doubt (pain) - don't.
    Where is it written that you must endure this?

lobster
  • Here is a two minute guide for comfortable floor sitting

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

if you see the video to its termination, there are also other videos on the same subject you can select to watch.
    The bottom line is this: Do what works for you.

lobstermockeymind
  • @genkaku said:
    Discipline means doing what no one much wants to do.

Sit anyway.

For once, don't cop out.

You deserve it.

Great post @genkaku. Many thanks. Meditation is a discipline, that becomes a habit. It polishes our sharp edges but creates new sharp insights. Exposes our hypocrisy. Makes us face life as is. Very well said ... wish I was as eloquent ... <3

dantepw
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

It took me quite a few years before I could manage to sit 'comfortably' in the quarter lotus position with no pain...
    Nowadays when doing the daily practice ( between 20 & 40 minutes twice a day) I either sit quarter lotus or Burmese style....

The longest I've sat was in the Burmese style was for just under two hours before slight pain started to creep in...this was when sitting in the front row listening to a Dharma talk, not so much meditation, so I could gently rock the body back and forth every now and again easing the pressure on the leg muscles....

There are some people who can sit quite comfortably in the full lotus position for hours on end...(And they actually look quite comfortable doing so )

Like anything worth doing "Practice makes perfect" It won't happen over night but it will happen..

"I want it all, I want it all and I want it now" Queen but "you can't always get what you want" Stones

• Thanks for sharing. I found a better sitting position using zafu/zabuton instead of carpet. The pain is gone and can breath with the whole body. I meditate 20-30 mins when I wake up and before sleeping.

Shoshinhowlobster
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

In Spinyana the use of comfy chairs is encouraged. ;)

Davidfederica