Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

IN the army NOW!

NamadaNamada Veteran
edited April 2015 in General Banter

I have received a letter from the military, I must go on a weeklong exercise, we are going to practice shooting with our AG3 weapon, and practice other diffrent war scenarios.

I have been in the military for over 1 year (few years ago) and now I have to come back and do this weeklong exercises every year. Back then I was also asked to go to Afganisthan but I said, no thank you!

Iam not very intrested in pracitcing killing people, but I know its for defence, anyway If russia will come, we dont have a chance, nuclear holocoust will it be anyway. So I want to just quit and say iam a pacifist, and a big fan of ghandi...

I also have summer holliday at the same time...

what would you do? Join or quit the army?

dantepw

Comments

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited April 2015

What country/military are u in? Depends on the rules....and that's a pretty personal decision....I wouldn't ask people on the internet for that kind of advice.... I'm ex-Army, US. AWOL is pretty serious stuff here...depending. Good luck, and do what's best for you. Decide and take responsability.

Namada
  • NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited April 2015

Norwegian army, I was in the cavalry, were we use CV90 tanks, we were storm troops, and we sat behind the tank and ran out to clear the way for the tank very often. It was fun to just "play", but diffrent in a real war scenario, since we are one of the first to get killed (they told us), some have to do the hard work I guess :)

• DakiniDakini Veteran

The US armed forces have 2 Buddhist chaplains. Perhaps you could ask about this, and see if the Norwegian armed forces have similar diversity among their chaplains? Or don't they have chaplains at all?

• NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited April 2015

There are christian priests in the army, but iam not sure if there are any Buddhist chaplains, this I can ask about ofcourse...in Norway its not so strick to join, before in the cold war, then everyone had to join, becuase russia, but not now...its much more easy to get away from it.

How is it in the US, is it ok to say no to the army?

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited April 2015

@Vastmind

If he is being supplied with an AG3 (some folks call it the Norwegian hand cannon) then he's Norwegian militarily although low on the totem pole otherwise he'd be trying out their incoming HK416. Probably one of the more compassionate military's in the world so I doubt they'll give him too hard of a time...although with Putin driving the war drums...and repeatedly testing their air space...who knows.

oops sorry..submited this to find 3 new posts zipped in.

Vastmind
  • NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited April 2015

@how actually we will recive a new weapon now, iam not complytly sure of what weapon it is, but I hope its more lighter!

This weekly exercise Its not hard at all, its very chill actually, you get a nice bed, a lot of food, and so on, maybe you need to sleep outside little bit, but thats ok, and its social, anyway, its better to stay home with your family when its summer and holliday...

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited April 2015

@Namada
    It is the Nato replacement wep that I mentioned and has got a rep of actually being more reliable than an AK 47 if you can believe it. Hope you never have to find out.
    It is all an ugly possibility since the rabble rousing news inside of Russia for the last year has all the appearances of prepping a population for war and is making everyone sharing a border with them nervous..

PS..the combined equivalent weapon and ammo weight reduction might be around 9 lbs but you just know their gonna make you hump more ammo.

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

War could come whether you go or not. I'm a girl, and I would go. Do they have girls in your army?

• BoruBoru Explorer

Is it just the exercises that you are obliged to do? You said you can turn down tours that would put you in conflict, ie, Afghanistan. Maybe the idea behind it is to be prepared if your country is invaded.

If your considered a reserve it might not be that difficult to leave. Its not a big deal where I am from. You should ask a CO about finishing up. I hope you get what you want with minimal fuss. Peace.

• NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited April 2015

@how
    Yes its correct, I checked it up, we will use this HK416, its a NATO weapon...much lighter and easy to use, (AG3 was also very reliabel)...only bad thing is, now we have to learn how to disassemble and reassemble this new weapon in the dark hehe

Russia are much more diffrent now...they often come on visits when our army dont even know it, with submarines and jets loaded with nuclear weapons.

Norwegian army had one exercises with 5500 soldiers, one week after, Russia had simmilar exercices but then with 35 000 soldiers, and this was in the same area..
    but they drink much vodka so maybe they are not SO dangerous.

• NamadaNamada Veteran

@silver Yes there are some girls in the army, but not so many! If there are 100 mens, there are maybe 4 girls. In the sanitary squad there are some more..

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@Namada - sanitary as in janitors? Or nurses?

• NamadaNamada Veteran

@Boru Yes now its just an exercises for one week, and its just for our own defence, I dont have to go abroad, it's just our special forces who receive these missions.. iam not part of them anymore.

• NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited April 2015

@silver nurses and ambulanse driving, you will aslo carry weapons. You will learn a lot about first aid: A B C D E- air, breathing, circulation, disability and exam. Wich is also very good to know in civil life aswell :)

silver
  • DakiniDakini Veteran

@Namada said:
    There are christian priests in the army, but iam not sure if there are any Buddhist chaplains, this I can ask about ofcourse...in Norway its not so strick to join, before in the cold war, then everyone had to join, becuase russia, but not now...its much more easy to get away from it.

How is it in the US, is it ok to say no to the army?

Say "no"? The army is all volunteer. During the Vietnam War, the only way to say "no" was to leave the country. At that time, a lot of young men went to Canada and Sweden. There was no alternative national service for pacifists or what were called "conscientious objectors"--people whose religious convictions wouldn't allow them to serve.

But it wasn't a compulsory service for defense, as it was in Norway, where the country was at peace, but people trained in case they were needed for defense. The situation was very different.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited April 2015

@Namada said:

Russia are much more diffrent now...they often come on visits when our army dont even know it, with submarines and jets loaded with nuclear weapons.

Norwegian army had one exercises with 5500 soldiers, one week after, Russia had simmilar exercices but then with 35 000 soldiers, and this was in the same area..
    but they drink much vodka so maybe they are not SO dangerous.

WHAT???!!! "They come on visits" where?? They had military exercises, where? Off the north coast? I guess they have a base at Archangelsk. What are they doing, showing that they can do what they want, trying to provoke NATO, or something? What the he11 is going on??!!! O.o

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Didn't Finland just fire at some unknown submarine in their waters the other day, too? Didn't read the article just saw the headline.

Here, in the US, the military is (mostly) voluntary. Men are legally required to register for the draft once they turn 18, but it has not been active since Vietnam. For now, we have enough volunteers that we don't need the draft. You aren't invited to join. You apply to join, kind of like applying or college or a job. They do some basic reviewing of your physical/medical health and your mental health and some other things before letting you join. The qualifications are pretty low but certain medical or mental health histories can disqualify you.

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited April 2015

@Karasti

Russia has been more actively testing the detection abilities and response times to intrusions on all of the country's they share boundary's or disputed territory with via Air, sea and land. This has markedly increased in the last couple of years.
    Any responses to these "testings" are getting reported publicly within Russia as evidence of American/Nato aggression. This storyline is being bought by the Russian public, hook, line and sinker.
    It is not heading in any direction that is good for anyone, except the one who is using it to distract Russian public attention away from domestic failings.

• ToshTosh Veteran
    edited April 2015

@Namada said:

Tell them you have a drug problem. In the UK, that'd work if a reservist was called up and didn't want to serve.

I served near a Norwegian infantry battalion in Kosovo, quite a few years ago. I seem to recall they were into naked saunas. They invited our Officers and SNCO's for a visit (I was on duty so missed it) and they all ended up naked together (which isn't very British) in the sauna. We had one female officer who dodged it, which a lot of guys thought was a shame.

Being British army, we had a Naafi, which sold boot polish and cigarettes, and a bar.

Saunas indeed! O.o

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Saunas!! No wonder NATO is falling to bits. Let's just hope the Russians are too drunk on vodka to take advantage.

• NamadaNamada Veteran

I think I will just go, its not a big deal, its just a week! If not I have to lie, and say Iam on drugs or something like that, wich is not so smart.

I saw one documentar yesterday from world war 2, when biritsh and norwegian troophs were figthing against the nazis up in Narvik a small city far up North in Norway, if everyone wanted to stay in home, who would dare to stop them?

I dont think Russa will attack us anyway, if they come, we can run naked towards them with a rose and invite them in to our sunas, they all have homophobi, so they will give up asap.

ToshDairyLama
  • ZeroZero Veteran

@Namada said:

Quit.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Namada said:> > I dont think Russa will attack us anyway, if they come, we can run naked towards them with a rose and invite them in to our sunas, they all have homophobi, so they will give up asap.

It depends how much vodka they've had!

Namada
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Sauna is usually taken naked in Scandinavian countries. We have so many Scandinavian people here that you meet a bit of disbelief if you tell them you wear a bathing suit in sauna. Old timers are very insistent on it. No thanks. I don't think my 18 year old son would appreciate it, nor do I appreciate seeing my grandma naked. Nothing against anyone's body, it just makes for awkwardness. Alone or in certain company, sure. But you certainly don't lose the benefits by wearing shorts or a suit, lol. Though, most people I know don't sauna in mixed company naked unless they are a married couple. The men and the women sauna separately if they are going to sauna naked.

• PöljäPöljä Veteran
    edited May 2015

The word "sauna" is Finnish, and Finland is not a part of Scandinavia, but a Nordic country. The sauna culture reaches far to Siberia (and perhaps to Japan and Korea).

You go to sauna with people you are familiar. It's as simple as to have a breakfast with people you are familiar.

• NamadaNamada Veteran

Yes, Finland are more into saunas then norwegians...its great for you body, and you get really refreshed after 20/30 minutes, you sweat out all the dirt wich has been stuck there for to long.

• thug4lyfethug4lyfe Explorer

@Namada said:
    I have received a letter from the military, I must go on a weeklong exercise, we are going to practice shooting with our AG3 weapon, and practice other diffrent war scenarios.

I have been in the military for over 1 year (few years ago) and now I have to come back and do this weeklong exercises every year. Back then I was also asked to go to Afganisthan but I said, no thank you!

Iam not very intrested in pracitcing killing people, but I know its for defence, anyway If russia will come, we dont have a chance, nuclear holocoust will it be anyway. So I want to just quit and say iam a pacifist, and a big fan of ghandi...

I also have summer holliday at the same time...

Don't buy into the whole Russian invasion propaganda! I would recommend you get out of the US army asap. Cause you guys ain't defending nothing nomsayin? It's all about starting beef not defending, so it's hard to keep dat dere intentions pure nomsayin?

• NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited May 2015

Its the Norwegian army, wich is very diffrent from the US, so it will not be any operations abroad, iam located in my local area for defence purpose.
    I dont think it will be use for us in my life time, but you never know when you have some strange macho neighborus ;)