Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The popularity of The Tara Mantra

federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky...Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
edited May 2015 in Meditation
This discussion was created from comments split from: Om Tare Tuttare Ture Svaha

The thread was begun 4 years ago.
Established members should know the policy regarding revival of old threads and rather than contributing and perpetuating the situation, they would earn my gratitude certainly, if they would refrain from adding comments, but rather advise as appropriate, at which point I can adjust the matter accordingly....

http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/21955/dredging-up-old-threads#latest

Comments

• ZenniZenni Veteran

@federica said:
    I went to visit my parents about 8 years ago, and stayed with them for a month; my father had broken his back, was supine all of that time, which caused problems with his bladder (he'd had prostate problems and the bed rest caused cancerous cells to travel to his bladder, and constituted a danger to him, for which they gave him invasive, painful, unconformable treatment. The poor guy....) The stress and anxiety for my poor mum, caused her to develop shingles. I really hope nobody here ever goes through that - it was a painful distressing living hell for her....
    Anyway, a fortnight into being there, I was so anxious and worried for them both, that one night, I stayed up until the early hours of the morning, and sat in meditation, chanting this Tara mantra, over and over again. At some point, I must have fallen asleep, but I know that when I woke up, the trantra was still playing in my mind, like a piece of music you can't get out of your head.
    I left it playing, unchecked.....

Now, you can make of this whatever you want, I really don't mind.

I'm not sure I want to pin anything on it either - but from the following afternoon, both of them began to improve, and over the next week, they felt better and better every day.
    So much so, that about 10 days later, I felt confident and happy enough to leave them and return home.

And I follow Theravada....

Thank you federica :)
    I visited my mum this afternoon, to celebrate Mother's Day with her.
    She is 88 this year.

I searched and found this thread.

• ZenniZenni Veteran

@federica
    Green Tara Mantra is what I need now.
    Thanks to heypai and all, too.

Namaste
    Zenni

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Can't have enough of Tara.
    Whenever a problem arises, I mentally go over her mantra...

Rowan1980ZennilobsterKundo
  • ZenniZenni Veteran

@DhammaDragon
    Thank you for the reinforcement.
    How do you chant?
    The sing-song way?
    The one-tone-through-the-line way?

Buddhadragon
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Tara hears the heart intention not the mode.

silverZenniRowan1980
  • ZenniZenni Veteran

@federica
    Read your post "dredging up old threads".
    Now, a little but wiser. Much thanks for your efforts.

@lobster - thank you.

I am so new, to learning about Buddha, his life, his ways, his teachings that many-a-time, on my journey, I feel confused and lost. I learn by reading , listening and watching - online. I cannot keep buddhist books at home. New buddhist.com is like my encyclopedia. When a question pops up in my head, I come here to seek answers.

Last night, with a heavy heart, I chanted the Green Tara Mantra. At first, I was thinking it's not musically correct. As I chanted on, somewhere inside my heart, I began to realise its my sincerity that counts. Then.... No more awkwardness... No more ego telling me it's tuneless... Peace enveloping me...

Namaste
    Zenni

federicalobstermmosilver
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

I began to realise its my sincerity that counts

Indeed.

Tara practice is one of the fantastical, almost ridiculous, crazy mantra practices of Tantra.

How on earth can they work? Because love and passion and the intensity of the mind can be channeled into skilful means. Eh Ma Ho [Tibetan: How wonderful]

It is not for everyone. People are different. The principle is sound.
    http://www.jeffsutherland.org/tara/sadhana.html

Zennimmo
  • ZenniZenni Veteran
    edited May 2015

@lobster - thank you very much for the link. It is so beautiful! I read it twice over.
    I will go through it before my next meditation.

Namaste
    Zenni

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Here is another link for you Zenni <3
    http://www.wildmind.org/mantras/figures/greentara

• ZenniZenni Veteran

@lobster!!! Thank you so much! It's precious, so detailed. I'm filled with joy wide smiling
    Never mind your pincers, love you anyway...

Namaste
    Zenni

lobster
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I used to like this mantra a lot, it has a very gentle, peaceful feel.

• after years circling around I always come back to green tara mantra. my favourite it resonates with me like others do not...

• ZenniZenni Veteran

@SpindyNoman - yes, that's the exact term, very gentle, peaceful feel.

@B.Cactus - the first mantra I learn is Om Mani Padme Hum. Chanting it calms me.
    This is the second one that I learn. Like how SpindyNorman describes, very gentle and peaceful.

Namaste
    Zenni

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Here is my page on the benefits of Mantra.
    http://yinyana.tumblr.com/day/2013/08/03

I learned and practiced the praises of the 21 Tara's. Basically Tara has different aspects. It involves a symbolic mind meld with Tara.

• ZenniZenni Veteran
    edited May 2015

@lobster - thanks again. The answers (yinyana) are so humorous. :p

• thug4lyfethug4lyfe Explorer

To this thread I say: "Milady"

lobsterZenni

@Zenni said:
    DhammaDragon
    Thank you for the reinforcement.
    How do you chant?
    The sing-song way?
    The one-tone-through-the-line way?

I just do several mala rows of her mantra.
    Sometimes, I enjoy singing along with Swiss Tibetan singer Dechen Shak-Dagsay's renderings...

http://dechen-shak.com/index.php/music-detail/items/8.html

• ZenniZenni Veteran

@DhammaDragon - thank you sweet lady <3 for the clip.
    Miss dechen's chant is quite fast, it's amazing that you can sing along.
    It's a different one, isn't it? It's not "Om tare tutare ture soho"?

• lobsterlobster Veteran

OM TARE TUTARE TURE SOHA

Can be expanded infinitely. TARA has different forms, speeds, colours, persona, practice details . . . etc.
    http://www.fpmt-osel.org/meditate/21taras.htm

Some of us even write our own programs (for Linux) to hear her sparkle . . .

Rowan1980KundoBuddhadragon

@Zenni said:
    DhammaDragon - thank you sweet lady <3 for the clip.
    Miss dechen's chant is quite fast, it's amazing that you can sing along.
    It's a different one, isn't it? It's not "Om tare tutare ture soho"?

It is the Praise to the 21 Taras, and at the end, you repeat "Om tare tutare ture soha."

• ZenniZenni Veteran

@lobster - thanks for the link. How do I "apply" the homage to the 21 Tara's. Read for knowledge? Learn it... to chant?
    Wow!!! So there's not just Green Tara, but also White Tara, Red Tara, Black Tara, Yellow Tara and more..
    Somewhere I read " forms of Tara" ...
    Or is it one Tara in different forms?

@DhammaDragon - thanking you too =)

Namaste

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Green Tara contains all the others 21. So focus on that form for now. Tara comes very quickly to those devoted to her.
    Just practice her mantra, maybe build a shrine to her.

Bit of background on Tantra is useful ...
    http://www.berzinarchives.com/web/x/nav/n.html_1040038418.html

• ZenniZenni Veteran

@lobster - thank you very much for sharing your knowledge. Will be reading the link next....

Namaste
    Zenni