Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

"weird" and "normal" people

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

As a distinction between "weird" and "normal" people, an email from a friend the other day suggested that "normal" people are the ones we do not yet know well enough.

I like it.

EarthninjaTreeLuvr87VanilliHamsakahowJeffreyBuddhadragonyagrchrispchemmo

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I'm sorry, and you are....who?

Cinorjer
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran
    That's really true, people spend their lives trying to be 'special' yet each one if us is completely unique. What the heck is normal?
    You guys all sleep naked right? :expressionless:
    silver
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

only when I'm in a normal bed. Mostly, up in the branches of my gingko, I tend to hang upside-down in my opossum suit....

JeffreyEarthninjammo
  • PöljäPöljä Veteran
    edited May 2015

I sleep in the closet with a skeleton, but that's a secret.

lobsterEarthninjammo
  • Rowan1980Rowan1980 Keeper of the Zoo Asheville, NC Veteran

Normal's just a setting on a clothes dryer. ;)

lobsterBuddhadragonEarthninja
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited May 2015

@genkaku

Totally agree, but what makes it interesting is it's relationship with our comfort.

Normal describes being able to make folks feel comfortable with their place within their tribe.
    Weird just describes any disturbance of that comfort.

Since it's all an illusion, that comfort is dependent on not looking too closely at that illusion or the folks that represent it, especially oneself.

The 1st casualty of stumbling closer to that truth....is ones comfort.

JeffreyBuddhadragonnakazcidShak
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    edited May 2015

When I was growing up, being weird was the worst possible thing. Now among kids, being weird is the better option. Striving for everyone to act and look the same isn't like it was 20 years ago here, which is nice to see. People are more comfortable with each other. I think some of that comes from a change in how special ed is handled here. For us, the "weird" kids were the kids with issues who had to be separated from the classroom. Now they have more tools so that even kids with significant challenges spend most of their time in their normal classroom. My son's graduating class is very small-35 students! My son is high functioning so most people don't know he has ASD. But there is a girl in their class who struggles more. She is graduating with the class and has been part of it in every way. The students never call her weird. They help her. They encourage her. She won a scholarship and her class gave her a standing ovation. To most of the kids, the weird ones are the kids who party and break the law. The adults are another story, but hopefully they learn from their kids some.

I know that's not what your post was necessarily addressing, but that is what came to mind for me. You're better off weird. It works. Normal doesn't really exist anyhow. It's just an average. Who wants to be average?

Nave650lobstermmo
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Since it's all an illusion...

@how -- I won't ask the obvious question. :)

• KennethKenneth Veteran
    edited May 2015

Normal is highly overrated. B)

The link pretty well says it for me. I was a weird dreamer of a kid from the time I started school. In retrospect I was/am ADD (passive) although I'm not sure that was even a diagnosis in the 60s/70s and it certainly was not treated or accomodated in my schools. I was seen as unmotivated, lazy and needing to try harder. It was very frustrating.

@karasti said:
    ..My son is high functioning so most people don't know he has ASD. But there is a girl in their class who struggles more. She is graduating with the class and has been part of it in every way. The students never call her weird. They help her. They encourage her. She won a scholarship and her class gave her a standing ovation...

I think this is so awesome <3 That's huge progress over the last 40 years! There were kids who I now suspect were high functioning ASD. Again, in those days, no real understanding or support from the schools. These kids were mercilessly tormented. It brings me down just thinking about it.

Buddhadragon
  • Will_BakerWill_Baker Vermont Veteran

Where I live there's a bumper sticker I see more and more of: Keep Vermont Weird

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

I know I'm normal, but as for everybody else well.............
    "Everybody's somebody else's weirdo!" :D

ZenshinBuddhadragon
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@Shoshin said:
    _"Everybody's somebody else's weirdo!"

The French have the saying "On est tous le con de quelq'un" (we are all someone else's idiot)

Or the one about our considering normal the people whose neurosis matches our own.

It is through ignorance that our discriminating consciousness splits nama-rupa into "me" versus "them."
    And through the illusion of duality, the line of progression leads to "my skandhas are normal, yours are weird."
    LOL... =)

JeffreylobsterShoshin
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Weird is at least interesting. ;)

Thanks, @SpinyNorman !

The compliment "You're very....Interesting!" was the first one my H ever paid me.

Now, I know what he meant....!

Buddhadragonlobster
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

It's one of the things I've appreciated about being involved in Buddhism, meeting some really interesting people. ;)

Earthninja
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

"Weird" is the new black in Buddhist circles, I heard...

Shoshinsilver

How about different Shades of Grey...? ;)

• misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited May 2015

... and i was thinking for the past few days that i am the only weird person on this planet currently... but the first post of this thread suggests like i got companions, only thing is i need to find it out :)

• I've always found that people consider a weird person as someone who is different than the person doing the name-calling.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Soon I will be normal! [Lobster haz plan!] B)

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@misecmisc1 said:
    ... and i was thinking for the past few days that i am the only weird person on this planet currently... but the first post of this thread suggests like i got companions, only thing is i need to find it out :)

My friend,

You told your wife and child you were dead according to another thread. When my sister asked me in an ambulance on the way to the emergency services whether she was a vampire, she had gone a few steps beyond weird.

DO NOT confuse humour, crazy wisdom and light heartedness with other mental conditions that need non forum medical attention. <3